Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

German Nationals 2nd Place Report

b0n3z

Alright here we go with my report. I decided to play Destiny and I was pretty sure about that not long after it was played the first time in the US and some ideas came up. So once again I asked Ketts for some help and he did so we made a list. I tested some with Behrad, who played Worlds 2004 and got second at Nats 2005, but didnt play last year. Anyway we decided both on playing Destiny and playing the same list. A couple days before Nats I got scared a little of Banette though because my matches were only 60% win for me or something, so I decided to cut 1-1 Eggs and put in Latias D and a new trainer. Afterwards it was a mistake, but I couldn't know nobody played Banette before Nats.

Anybody who wants a list, feel free to PM me.

So there were 66 people in Masters (same as last year) and so we played 7 rounds swiss w/ 30 minutes and top16 cut w/ 1 hour.
Now anyway to the report:

1. Round - Ute K. [I think] (Rapidash, Blissey Ex, etc.):
Well I started rather crappy and she got a quick Rapidash on me. I struggled for a while, especially flipping 4/4 burn tails, but once I drew into some trainers it was an easy game, though it's not as easy to not really be able to use Ray Ex for sniping.
1-0

2. Round - Finn L. [I think] (Flygon Ex/Fly D/Fearow)
I again have a rather crappy start to his awesome one. After two delta draws he goes: Evolve to Fearow, play Researcher for Flygon D, Rare Candy, search Flygon Ex D with power and Rare Candy, Delta supply and all the sudden he had a fully built Flygon Ex D, I was just like...oh darn it, that's it. I delta minded his Trapinch luckily the round before so he was already on 3 damage. He kills my Mew Ex or something and I can only confuse him with Stantler. Somehow I manage to get a Cursed Stone to stick and kill his Flygon EX and turn this game around to a win!
2-0

3. Round - Silvio B. (RK9/Flareon ex)
After two tough rounds I am glad I get an opponent I have a rather good match-up against. He gets a quick RK9 on me battling my Latios Ex. My problem was that I put him on 60, he healed himself and did something else (Flareon power and then overrun my bench). So I am stuck with a Voltorb, Lightning NRG, Cessation, Holon Scientist and something else. So because he has like 5 cards as well, I play my voltorb, slap cessation and nrg and play scientist. So I attack him with my Voltorb to put him on 60 and not being able to heal himself. SO I WAS LIKE: H. VOLTORB FTW. Afterwards it was downhill because he could only knock out one Latios Ex which I farmered back and he didn't stand a chance anyway.
3-0

4. Round - Cetin Y. (Destiny)
We both have usual starts. He misplayed some and that way I was able to flick poison his Ray Ex D without Energys. I win some turns on that and we pretty much just trade prizes and both are left at 4-4 prizes. He has a Ray Ex with 8 dmg on the bench and one active with 6 dmg and poisoned. I have one Skarmory on bench which he Sniped the turn before. So my plan was him taking 2 prizes, I evolve to Eggs, Scramble split bomb both Ray Ex and GG. So he thinks a lot and I get really nervous. If he'd stumped it would have been a close and intense game again. Anyway he goes ahead to kill my Skarmory Ex and putting his Ray Ex to 70 DMG. I promote Eggs, evolve, scramble and split bomb his 2 Ray Ex FTW.
4-0

5. Round - Heinz K. (Flygon Ex/Lickitung)
Now, he's usually my favorite opponent, just because it makes so much fun to play him and I beat him with some nice cards he wasn't expecting. Unfortunately not this time. He gets a quick Flygon Ex which hurts me a lot and I cant do much. I manage to take it out though by copying his Psychic Pulse. So again we're at tied prizes, but in the end he gets 2 more Flygon Ex D out and I am one prize away from the win. Oh well.
4-1

6. Round - David S. (MSN)
He starts crappy, so do I. Then he misplays and gets out a beldum which I kill right away. Unfortunately at some point he gets a Steelix on me which takes 4 prizes and I just can't kill it, until I scramble him with Eggs. In the end he whiffed on a H. Magnetilo which could have killed my RAy Ex D with 100 DMG already and I win.
5-1

7. Round - Patrick M. (Kingler Tool)
I knew he didn't had a chance, just because of weakness to Ray, etc. I played for a while, thinking about conceding because I knew if I'd go 6-1 I was in a high seed. Behrad was 4-2 at this time and played Cetin, so if he'd win he'd be in a low seed so a higher probability of us facing each other in the beginning. I decided to play it out anyway and beat him pretty easy.
6-1

So, unfortunately Behrad loses the mirror against Cetin, which was totally unneccessary, because he was already 5-1 and would have been in tops anyway. Oh well...
Final standings are posted and YESSS....I am No. 1 :D
That's always good, because "Curse of the First" does not apply to me. Never lost first round, when I was first seed. Luckily I had a complete T16 bracket (thanks to NoPoke and the others who told me!!!) and so I knew who I had to play.

Top16 - Markus K. (Typhlosion Ex/Ampharos)
Game 1: I start with Lickitung which helps me nothing. Oh well...I struggle once again, but take him down in the end, because I abuse all his weaknesses (F and W)
7-1
Game 2: Similar to game 1 but better start.
8-1

Top8 - Patrick M. (Kingler Tool)
Game 1: Once again my auto-win. Though he thinks I cheat (J/K :lol:) because even he only rolls tails with my dice. You have to know he's such a lucky person, it's not even funny, and my rolls are rather humble.
9-1
Game 2: Same as game one.
10-1

So now it got really intense, because I had to play Dennis S. (Destiny) and I knew it'd be a tough game. I was nervous the whole time and so after a long wait...which seemed like forever...we could begin our game.

Semi-Finals - Dennis S. (Destiny)
Game 1: We both start alright and start trading prizes. In the end he burnt some cards too quick early game, which I was planning on and I took him down.
11-1
Game 2: After a long game one (approx. 35 minutes) we get to game 2 and the worst thing that could happen, happened. My starthand: Skarmory Ex, NRG, Cursed Stone, NRG, NRG, NRG, H. Farmer. OH MY, I was so close to cry not funny. So I started and he gets a Ray Ex start. Crap. I attach nrg and pass. He attaches one, lays down Licki and passes. My turn again and I dont draw anything again, so I attach and attack switching to his licki. His turn, he attaches NRG to licki draws 2 and my turn again. Luckily i get something this turn (researcher or ray not sure anymore) and I am just glad. So I attack once again. Anyway after this huge struggle I finally am able to take him down and on the last turn I Stumped nothing, just so he couldnt stump his jirachi for my game winning prizes and that was GG
12-1

SO I AM IN FINALS. I called my dad and a friend and told them and I just felt good.

Finals - Lars L. (Ledian/Eggs/Quagsire)
Game 1: I was pretty confident to win this and I controlled the game the whole time, even though I played a lot wrong in the beginning, played Mew, Skarmory, etc. In the end, I don't know how I did it I started to screw up and lost the game because he played Mysterious Shard.
12-2
Game 2: I was so shocked to lose game one that I couldnt think straight anymore. I played, but this time he just ran through me, because I once again didn't draw too good =/
12-3

So much about becoming Champ, but I misplayed too much (didnt play with Jirachi at all...). Oh well, I pack my bags and be glad to win my trip to Worlds and the scholarship.

PROS:
~ Behrad, you're da man!!! THANKS FOR HAVING SUCH A GREAT SEASON W/ U!
~ Clara, you're da SIS!!! Thanks to you as well!
~ Dennis and Thorsten for such a cool start into the season...Hannover rocks :D
~ Hawaii!!!
~ John Ketts for the help!!!
~ Arco, Andrea, Kevin, John, and all the others who believed in me ;D, thanks dudes, we'll meet in Hawaii
~ Scholarship
~ H. Voltorb FTW
~ My great season
~ SPAIN -> (After Nats stay up til 2 packing my bag and getting up at 3 to go to the airport)

CONS:
~ me losing finals
~ Latias D, didnt really help at all
~ Behrad not making it =/
~ Clara not making it either

All I got left to say is:
SEE YA IN HAWAII!

~b0n3z~

Last edited:
WOW!!!

2 Destiny decks in the top 4.... GO FIGURE!!!!

Awesome job!!!

If you need further help contact me regarding the deck...

JImmy

How hot is destiny?
Almost to hot to handle Germany.
Where else will Destiny be to hot to handle?
Only time will tell
GJ man!

German Engineered Destiny!

Oh wow...had no idea I got props in this/knew this was here! Nice report, and good going ;D

Yes two trips makes the finals just soo much nicer.

I <3 Mysterious shard, it was in our Delta deck most of the season.

Congrats Max! AND THIS YEAR IS HAWAII!!!!

You played a good season and finally you have what you wanted.
I hope to reach you in Hawaii....
btw, SLOPS to be not playing GrumpigStall....ROFTL!

(P.s: i played Mysterious Shard in RaiEggs last BR doing 1-2 and losing 60 points in a row....ouch!)

@Sa-X: Thanks man! You're my F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E jude :thumb:

@Banginbox: Thanks for the offer, but I'll take a break for now until I will practice some for Worlds. Yeah and both Destinys pretty much only lost, because I was too tired and didnt care that much anymore and the other one conceded after he knew 3rd and 4th get the same :D

@Pokekid: LoL ;D

@Patriarch: Maaaan, heck yes you are and you better get your trip or else I'll stop in Texas and put you in my luggage :lol::lol::lol:

@amphyrules: Thanks dude, hope you can make it!

@Fireborn: Thanks, but you're gonna make it as well...Ranking or Nats, whatever, I am gonna see you and Arco at worlds ;D Oh, and kevin as well. So Arco and you need to get the Ranking invite and Kevin needs to win. It's that easy ;D

@NoPoke & Fabien: Thanks, I hate it now =D

@Andceo: Thanks to you as well bro =). Yeah, you're right Grumpigstall would have been the winner =)

@Kevin: Thanks and the rest in "@Fireborn"

@Bohn: Thanks, see ya there :D

Sry Moza it's still pretty sweet, but I just cut my sig to the very low ;D Thanks though!

Thanks Kempley as well!

:clap:
congrats!

We both have usual starts. He misplayed some and that way I was able to flick poison his Ray Ex D without Energys. I win some turns on that and we pretty much just trade prizes and both are left 2-2 prizes. He has a Ray Ex with 8 dmg on the bench and one active with 6 dmg and poisoned. I have one Skarmory on bench which he Sniped the turn before. So my plan was him taking 2 prizes, I evolve to Eggs, Scramble split bomb both Ray Ex and GG. So he thinks a lot and I get really nervous. If he'd stumped it would have been a close and intense game again. Anyway he goes ahead to kill my Skarmory Ex and putting his Ray Ex to 70 DMG. I promote Eggs, evolve, scramble and split bomb his 2 Ray Ex FTW.
4-0

:confused:

@Ardoptres
Thanks and lol...I meant both took 2 prizes...my bad!

@Bretkid
Rogue deck, but I don't think it has huge potential

Haha, both Exeggutor prized FTL...Skamory misplay FTL...but 4th place is ok as well IMO

seeya at worlds I gonna travel on my own...4th place FTW

Back