Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Getting Friend Started

fuzzywuzzy229

Hi everyone. I've been on a 2 year hiatus from Pokemon and wanted to get a friend to start playing. However, I don't think meta decks is something she should start with just because it might get too complicated. I was wondering if you guys can help me decide on which 2 theme decks (or just decks in general) that I can get that will help her learn and also still be usable in competitive play (like the Trainer line).

I was thinking of the 2 theme decks from Furious Fist but they don't really come with any good trainer cards. I have MD-CoL Gyarados, Luxlock, and Vilegar but that might be too complication too.

As far as theme decks go I think the XY releases were quite reasonable, with Yveltal and Xerneas as headliners. Both are decent bases, with room to edit and put more stuff in. It means that both are tournament legal if she ever wants to go to an event and they play out relatively simply so she can learn the rules first without having complex interactions of her pokemon with her other pokemon or her opponent's pokemon.

I would let her use the deck a little bit before editing it to speed the game up, adding more support is the first thing I do with those decks(from within the XY set Sycamore and Shauna are decent option, though N and Colress are suggested if you can get your hands on them), before finding some compatible big hitters (the EX version of Yveltal and Xerneas come as promos in tins with 4 other boosters).

Hope this helps,
Mithos

If you want some staple Trainers I can recommend the Red Genesect Collection. It comes with 2 Juniper, 2 N, 2 Skyla, Catcher, and more.

Last edited:
Back