Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gigas Making a Comeback?

toxicroak 96

I'm just wondering does anybody think Gigas can make a comeback, I mean the power lock makes the stage 2's super slow, has Flygon's weakness, heals off Gyrados's damage and hits Salamence's weakness, the only problem is Gengar and Machamp. Since Ramp doesn't see much play.

Nope. You have: power-lock, Machamp, Gengar, no answer to Nidoqueen (which makes Gengar >9000 times harder), decks that have similar damage output for smaller resource investment, etc. that make it a bad play.

I'm sure you can still play these decks at local shops. Just don't bring them to tournament.
I strictly avoid tournaments just because I don't want to be limited with using archtype decks.

I wish that it could make a come back,but power lock just kills the deck,and i don't think the deck can be fast enough to even if they don't power lock.

I've played this deck a lot and it's actually a fine option. A lot of techability, Expert Belt will turn him into a BEAST and Machamp can be answerable with a decent Uxie set-up.

Don't attack Gengar straight up. I just made a new Gigas, like literally yesterday. Still a rough draft but here's the ideas:

I got 3 Unown G for Machamp and Gengar, Expert Belt, 1-1 Mismagius for Mewtwo which can capitalize on the Unown G's and Belts, and Spiritombs for Power Spray (Play a Switch/Warp Point, push Spiritomb, Sacrifice it... job done), and Palkia obviously to make use of the Switches outside of the SP Match-up. Anyways just Palkia around Gengar... you should have enough Unown G's and Poltergeist can hardly put a dent in Gigas if you're smart. In no conceivable way can I see Gigas itself dying as long as you heal it, so the prize penalty on Expert Belt isn't an issue.

Machamp still seems hard, 3/4 Heads on Hurricane Punch to KO Uxie is too much room for failure =/ It needs something to force the Champ to Level Up. I've seen many decks Psychic Restore and push a Crobat G + Unown G but I dunno if Crobat would fit in here.

1. spiritomb. the deck uses quite a few non-supporter trainers!
2. machamp. still the bane of gigas, and still as prevalent. HGSS improves this deck as well (reversals and pokemon traders)
3. gengar- a previous bane who has grown stronger and will only get better
4. donphan from HGSS is another super-counter to gigas
5. power lock- its still prevalent, and gets stronger with HGSS
6. lack of OHKO- gigas isnt OHKOing a gyarados, and cant really afford to heal off and sacrifice a prize every turn while the power/discard lock doesn't really affect gyarados

gigas is dead. let it rest in peace.

1) Spiritomb isn't that big a killer. the late game switch kills are the big pain there, and since you should use palkia Lv.X beforehand, that's not much. Only early game Premier balls are really missed, and every deck has a few key cards Tomb stops.
2) Why bring up HG/SS? It means nothing for cities. machamp will still be around, but it isn't as big as it used to be, with all the Gengar and Gyardos around.
3) Gengar just got much harder. level Down hits Gigas arugabely more then most Lv.X's. It losses quite a chunk of HP and healability. This is the main deck that needs to be tech'd against.
4) Again, HG/SS is a whole other format
5) G&G isn't that big and Palkia lock is NOT the biggest deck. And what deck isn't utterly wrecked by not having powers? Seriously.
6) With Expert belt, it gets dang close. Expert Belt is perfect for Gigas because it like, never gets Ko'd. giving it 170 HP and letting it swing for 80-100/20 or 120 and double discard is awesome. Espcially with proper use of Palkia Lv.X

Sure it isn't the ebst option with Flygon and mewtwo X much bigger then they used to be, but it's FAR from dead.

1. spiritomb. the deck uses quite a few non-supporter trainers!
2. machamp. still the bane of gigas, and still as prevalent. HGSS improves this deck as well (reversals and pokemon traders)
3. gengar- a previous bane who has grown stronger and will only get better
4. donphan from HGSS is another super-counter to gigas
5. power lock- its still prevalent, and gets stronger with HGSS
6. lack of OHKO- gigas isnt OHKOing a gyarados, and cant really afford to heal off and sacrifice a prize every turn while the power/discard lock doesn't really affect gyarados

gigas is dead. let it rest in peace.

1.) A lot of Gigas lists play Regice already for a very early discard to get ready for a T2 Sacrifice

2.) Agreed. Simply its worst match-up, IMO.

3.) Eh, I think Gigas had a healthy format to play in Cities last year. Gengar was played lots. It's a different format though, so I'm not sure. Relicanth is certainly an issue. For the sake of discussion, mind telling me, in your opinion, what the rough points for this match-up would be? Outside of Relicanth and maybe Fainting Spell, which can possibly be avoided.

4.) Isn't out yet. I'm talking about Gigas for like Cities. Gigas was pretty much only good for Cities last year, remember? It sorta died around States.

5.) Let's talk pre-HG:SS, again. Mesprit and Power Spray are probably the two biggest Power stoppers out there right now. G&G isn't played as much, though still out there (This is what I'm assuming you mean by post-HG:SS), so I won't adress it. Mesprit was out when Gigas was played at Cities last year, yet it still did good. Not as abusable, but it was still played.

Anyways, Gigas plays Mesprit itself and is probably the best example of a deck abusing Psychic Bind before Palkia G Lv. X came out, it could repeatedly use its Power even with limited bench space. So it can still come down to who drops Mesprit first. Power Spray can be countered by Spiritomb, as I brought out. The most crucial time you need a Power is when you need to Sacrifice, so Switch out to Spiritomb and use a couple Powers... then Sac it.

6.) One reason I wanted to introduce Expert Belt to the deck. Hitting for 120 is still tough in this format, not many decks can do that (Some. Not all). Only a few decks are capable of enduring 120, without any additional aid (Expert Belt, Snowpoint Temple, etc):

Kingdra
Gyarados
Machamp
Gengar

Machamp is already a bad match-up, so I don't really care about him. Gengar, as mentioned, I'm still unsure about. I'm going to do some play-testing tomorrow.

I'm debating to add more damage assistance to the deck, because it really does have room to play with. But anyways, I really wish Gigaton Punch didn't come down to a flip, you could set up some great KO's that way... probably KO'ing 2 things in 3 turns. But all of those decks, save Gyarados, have a hard time functioning with Powers, so I'm hoping for an early Psychic Bind there.

On the other hand, look at what Gigas CAN OHKO:

Palkia
Luxray
Infernape
Blaziken
Beedrill
Flygon (Great match-up, IMO)

I can't officially put this to rest until I play it with a couple new toys from the new set lol I'm really liking the idea of Spiritomb and Expert Belt.

Back