Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Glaceon's Ice Bind vs Unown G

Prof Em

Hey guys, me and Dan got into a fight tonight over Glaceon's "Ice Bind". The text says...

Ice Bind - 50 damage
If your opponent does not discard a card from his or her hand, the Defending Pokemon is now paralyzed.

He attacked my active Salamence with Glaceon's Ice Bind, and I had an Unown G on my Salamence. Dan insists that because the first line of the effect is on me, the opponent, and not the pokemon, that I must discard a card from my hand, regardless of the unown g on my Salamence, or else it would be paralyzed. Dan believes that it is like Gardevoir's psy lock and is on the opponent first, not the pokemon. He thinks that as the opponent, I determine the outcome of the effect and the G can therefore not block the paralysis. I believe that I do not have to discard the card because the text says "The Defending Pokemon" and my unown G prevents it.

Thanks for any help guys.

that IS a tricky one.

I would rule that you are correct. Paralyze, in this case, is an "effect of an attack" that is on the "defending pokemon" which is EXACTLY what Unown G protects against.

Discarding the card is not an effect.
It is an optional action that they Defending Player can take to avoid the effect on their Defending Pokemon.
As noted, since G is on the Pokemon, it can be safely ignored.
However, if the player actually desires to discard a card, then still may.

Back