Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Good Gyarados counter for Flychamp deck?

Well, I run a pretty slick little Flychamp deck, but it's running into a lot of problems vs. Gyarados decks. Is there anything that I could tech into the deck that might help even up the score?

- Croatian_Nidoking

Well, I tried that. Trouble is, you have to retreat that all the time. Against a deck ike Gyarados, you have to conserve your resources.

- Croatian_Nidoking

Can't think of too much without wrecking the deck.

Mr. Mime is very bad to be honest.

You can't attack when it's active.

So all it does is slow the game down.

And they just go. . .

Luxray out something. . .

Or Reversal out something. . .

Just hope for a good start.

Or hope they get a bad start.

Do you play any hand disruption? Try Looker's Investigation or Team Galactic's Wager to get the Magikarps out of their hand before they get a chance to discard them. This may only set them back a turn or two but will you buy you some time to get setup.

What kind of Gyarados deck plays Luxray, anyway? Not any in my neck of the woods.

Also, you can attack with the Mime. It's a funny little attack (and may backfire), but if my opponent guesses wrong, one Devoluter and Gyara's gone, even with an Expert Belt. So I wouldn't discount the little clown yet.

- Croatian_Nidoking

What kind of Gyarados deck plays Luxray, anyway? Not any in my neck of the woods.

Also, you can attack with the Mime. It's a funny little attack (and may backfire), but if my opponent guesses wrong, one Devoluter and Gyara's gone, even with an Expert Belt. So I wouldn't discount the little clown yet.

- Croatian_Nidoking

The Gyarados decks that are winning States run Luxray.

And attacking with Mime is not a good idea. Rubbish attack, and by the time you can get enough damage and a Devoltur on Mime, Gyarados will have taken around 2 prizes with Reversal and Lux. Adding 2 Mime and a Devoltur to a Flychamp deck would completely crowd it up as well.

- Croatian_Nidoking

All good lists run Luxray or Pokemon Reversal.

The best of the best should play Luxray.

Attacking with Mr. Mime is like. . . Low.

Honestly, a flippy, flippy attack which needs 2 energy to attack with. By that time Gyarados could easily attack you.

Devoluter?

So after all this you really think they can't KO that Mr. Mime?

If all this luck sacky stuff did pull off then they'd just Unown G it.

Expert Belt, Mr. Mime, and attacking with a heads. . . Yeah what happened to Pokemon?

- Croatian_Nidoking

Actually the majority of the Gyarados players were using Luxray in their Gyarados at FL states, including the one that got second. Its a very smart play.

Wagers ftw!
I'm 3:1 against Gyarados at States Tournament right now.

Get a fast setup, try to survive the innicial onslaught, get 2 Gons up (if possible with belt/lv.x to make sure it can take one hit, hit the dos once, then drop a wager and ko it. They'll struggle to get back afterwards. If they get it back up, sand wall to get invincible and then KO it.

Barring a horrible start by the 'dos player, I found the only way to reliably win matches was to go for the deck out. That means you'll want to play two flygon lv.X, a ton of reversal, and two memory berry. Having some pokehealers or super scoops of your own (expert belt too) helps to tank out your flygons too

Mr. Mime evolved from Mime Jr. is a better play with Flygon than just vanilla Mr. Mime as he will count as an evolved Pokemon for Power Swing that way. If you run Memory Berry then you might even be able to use the Jr. attack.

Still overall xcfrisco is correct. There are better plays than Mime in Flygon. In addition to vanilla memory berry/deckout you could try Honchkrow.

yes there is a tech that can help you its houchicrow from supremvictors and you can have dark energys in there also and maybe its level x.

Honchkrow is a bad play against gyrados unless you play dusknoir. The best thing you can do is play 1 or 2 lookers and when you kill the gyrados play lookers and hope they don't get lucky. That should hopefully get you an additional turn or 2 to take prizes.

Mime + Unown Q. Free retreat, so no worries about that, and it does stop Gyarados dead.

The best of the best should play Luxray.

Attacking with Mr. Mime is like. . . Low.

Tell that to the two Luxchomp decks I played at states that literally could do nothing. Switch back and forth between Mewtwo Lv X and Mr Mime, and you're golden. You don't use Mime as an attacker, you put a Unown Q on him and use it as a stopper until you can OHKO the opponent's pokemon.

Tell that to the two Luxchomp decks I played at states that literally could do nothing. Switch back and forth between Mewtwo Lv X and Mr Mime, and you're golden. You don't use Mime as an attacker, you put a Unown Q on him and use it as a stopper until you can OHKO the opponent's pokemon.

If you use it as a stopper while you power up a Pokemon on the bench. . . What is your answer to Luxray or Garchomp attacking it on the bench/ dragging it out?

Dialga would stop both of those right in their tracks.

Back