Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Grass OR Leaf? Electric OR Lightning?

I've put my cards in a shoe box and am making dividers so I can sort them by type, level, etc. (Can you say "obsessive/compulsiive"?:rolleyes:)

Some of the types seem to have two different names. I'm wondering if there is a clear consensus on the preferred name.

For example, the green ones: Are they "Leaf" or are they "Grass"?

And the yellow ones: Are they "Electric" or are they "Lightning"?

The official terms are Grass and Electric. These terms appear in the games as well as the league seasons for this year. The official name for next season is Metal, so that is also the official term for that energy type.

Electric/Lightning is a weird one.

People say 'Electric' for the Pokemon, but nearly always say 'Lightning' for the Energy. It's even in the Reaserching Tower as 'Lightning Energy'.

In the beginning, before the dawn of time, the base set basic energy cards were numbered in alphabetical order with the energy cards in question being called GRASS and LIGHTNING. If it were called Electric, the number order would've been different. The most recent basic energies from the pop series aren't in any alphabetical order, but I have always thought Grass and Lightning were the official type names for the TCG.

Indeed. The confusion is the difference between the terminology in the video game versus the card game.
In the video game, the Pokemon type covered by the card type :lightning is known as the Electric-type, whereas the official card type is "Lightning."

Similarly, :metal: is the Metal type in the card game, but is Steel in the video games.

And, :grass: is Grass in both the card and the video games.

Don't feel weird about it. I sort my cards by type, then HP, then how good I think they are. It just helps me save time when looking for cards. And since I have 4500+, this takes quite a while...

Anyway, I say Grass and Lightning.

It's obviously Lightning. Look at the symbol. It's a lightning bolt!

i always just found it funny that "grass" energy had a picture of a leaf on it. when he was little, my son thought japanese yards must look very strange covered in leaf shaped grass, lol!

Back