Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Grinders Report No Johns

Zephyr

My crew carpools over to the Hilton with me sitting on the air since my friend's car can only hold 7 >_<. We decide to skip the horrendous Hilton parking prices and go park under the convention center but drop off about 4 people, including me, at the hotel first. We take in our stuff and the TV we brought with us for playing Melee in between rounds. When we tried to get in line to sign up, the judge trying to keep everything in order tried to keep us from bringing the TV into the line, but we pointed out that the only people it would inconvenience was us, so he'd have to let us bring it in =P.

Once we get signed up, we have about an hour before pairings are supposed to go up, so we set up the TV and Gamecube and start playing friendly FFA's. That lasts a while, then pairings go up and we all go to our tables, leaving the TV in the corner and hoping it doesn't get jacked. >_> I'm running Luxape, very close to Pooka's list with a few edits for my own preference since luxape has almost all positive matchups.

Also, I'm sorry to the people whose names I can't remember. My memory is horrible. =0

R1 - Beedrill

I got an unown G start with a Call Energy in hand and go first. We flip over the pokemon and I see a Pachi active and a Baltoy on the bench. I go first, attach and call for infernape and Rayquaza. He draws, attaches a grass to Pachi and calls for 3 Weedle. I am very happy because I notice that he played no trainers during his turn, meaning a bad start on his part. Then a fire alarm went off and we sat there for a while, unsure of whether to play or not. We kept on playing, but were then told that time had been frozen until the fire alarm could be sorted out. Thus we sat waiting until it was determined that the alarm was false then resumed play. His no supporter start ended up costing him the game since I flash impacted his baltoy and he Bebe's for a second Flutter Wings Beedrill instead of a band attack Beedrill. That basically sealed the game. GG

1-0

By now, the Melee TV had drawn a fairly large crowd, including some players who'd been on the competitive Smash scene for as long as or longer than I had been. Also, they were far above my skill level. People who were there know who I'm talking about. Money Matches were fun as well as friendlies, and I was fortunate enough to be able to take at least a couple matches off of Alukard.

R2 - Gechamp

My opponent was Japanese and spoke no English, so there was a bit of a language barrier during the game and setup. We ended up having to point at the attacks and powers we were using the entire game, which got a little old, but we still both had a great time. I was fortunate enough that she never set up a Machamp, only Gengars, and so I had little difficulty taking the match. GG

2-0

R3 - Gechamp

Another one. I was getting a little exasperated with this. >_< Can't remember much about the match except that it wasn't very exciting and that I won using Uxie Lv. X and Ninetails. GG

3-0

R4 - Palkia Lock

Luxray cleaned up this match easily since I only got locked for two turns. We mostly traded prizes, but it was me taking two prizes with Luxray -> Palkia and Infernape/Uxie Lv. X -> Toxicroak to his taking one with toxicroak G promo -> Luxray. GG

4-0

R5 - Palkia Lock - Igor Djukic

I got locked early on and the lock stayed there for the first four turns. The worst part is that I could've sprayed the fourth Psychic Bind but didn't, which ended up costing me a turn, a bright look on his Palkia G Lv. X, and the game. =/ Still, GG.

4-1

R6 Gechamp - Kevin Fujii

Wonderful. I get matched up against one of the guys I rode up with, and he happens to be running the deck that out of all the decks we took up has the best matchup against me. Not only that, but we're both 4-1, so whoever loses is pretty much out of the running (or so we thought - half of the accepted players in our flight were 6-2's). Anyways, he gets a Machamp up T2 and starts taking prizes left and right. I barely hold on for a few turns and then as the prizes are lined up 6-3 Advantage to Fujii, I start to make comebacks involving guarded Uxie X's, Ninetails, and Bright Look KO's. Also, Split Bomb was very helpful, putting Machamps at 90 HP and easy KO range. The game's momentum starts sliding my direction and Kevin can't stop it in time for me to take my last prize. GG, great match. Sorry. =/

5-1

R7 - Palkia Lock

I have to admit, this match was pretty funny. Neither of us got supporters for like ten turns, so the early game was pretty amusing both to watch and play. He gets supporters a couple turns before I do, but all I need is a Cyrus' Conspiracy to turn the game around, and I topdeck it right when I need to. The game went downhill from there for him. Sorry bud. =/ GG

6-1

R8 - Flyqueen

So I know at this point that if I win, I make it into Worlds for sure, and even if I lose, I still have a good chance of making it in due to good resistance. He starts with a SW Trapinch and Calls for Baltoy and Nidoran. At this point I know exactly what I'm up against, and I'm unhappy since I know I'll be unable to bright look the baltoy and kill it. Also, I started with Azelf and my Infernape 4 X is prized, leaving me to fight him with Luxray X and Ninetails, and everyone on his field has free retreat and almost everyone has lightning resistance. =/ The game went downhill and stayed that way, so decided to just screw it all, bright look his Nidoqueen, retreat to Rayquaza and Sky Judgement his face off the Earth. It was very satisfying. XD I proceed to speed gain the next turn and get four heads and would've done 300 damage to his Flygon X, but it was invincible due to Sand Wall, so I simply retreated to something I can't remember and the match eventually went to time on my turn with his 2 prizes to my 4. I say GG and we had plenty of fun that match. =P

6-2

So it turns out three of the people who rode up in my car including me had 6-2 records, so we just had to wait and see how our resistance played out. Top twelve in my flight (Flight 2) got invites, and I ended up getting sixteenth since like three of my opponents dropped. =/ Fortunately, though, one of my friends, Andrew Occiano, got 9th in Flight 1 and made it through, which was pretty awesome. That about wraps up the report.

Props -

- Getting 16th out of lots of people was pretty cool
- Andrew making Worlds
- Really fun matches and generally awesome attitudes all around
- Meeting really good smash players
- Fire alarm lulz

Slops -

- Not making Worlds by 4 slots
- Les Paul dying on Grinders
- Not starting with Luxray or Infernape even once

That's about that. Had a great time, GG's to all I played, Melee or Pokemon.

Last edited:
Hax's Falcon was way too fast for my blood. And my Fox. I thought going to Corneria would help me, but my fellow Starfox teammates betrayed me. ;_;

lol cool id figured since your like no johns. -_- only smash brothers ppl know about that.. but yepp thats cool you brought your own tv lol

Back