Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Growth Spurt questions

Hoyas

Exeggcute (Aquapolis 76)'s Growth Spurt attack says: Attach an Energy card from your hand to Exeggcute.​

Question 1: If I attach a rainbow energy card with this attack does it activate rainbow energy's effect and put 1 damage counter to exeggcute?

Question 2: Bounce energy says:
This card provides ColorlessColorless Energy. You can attach this card to your Pokémon that has basic Energy cards attached to it.
When you play this card from your hand and attach it to 1 of your Pokémon, return a basic Energy card attached to that Pokémon to your hand.

What happens if exeggcute has no basic energy cards attached when I use Growth Spurt and attach a Bounce energy? Or is it illegal to use Growth Spurt in this situation?

The rules written on the Special Energy cards would still be in effect.
Q1: Yes
Q2: You could not attach Bounce Energy to Exeggcute unless it had a basic Energy already attached.

Would the answer to the second question be different if it was an ability instead of an attack? I kind of expected that you'd be able to attach it given these rulings:

If attached using an Ability, the Energy card text would still be "active" so a Damage Counter would be placed when attaching Rainbow Energy and you could only attach Bounce Energy if there were a Basic Energy to return.

You'll notice in the rulings you cited, the Energy Card text is still in effect so the Energy gets Discarded when not attached to the appropriate Pokémon.

You need to have an Energy card attached to Exeggcute to do the attack and it only attaches to itself, so that existing Basic Energy card would have to be discarded.
If you had a special Energy attached to Exeggcute, sure you could attach the Bounce and not discard anything.

To paraphrase Thanos, "All that for a drop of an energy".

Asking here since it's relevant to this discussion, this has been overruled?

== ANTI-LIGHTNING (Zapdos - Aquapolis)​

Q. Can Flygon use its "Energy Shower" attack to attach energies to the legendary birds with Anti-(Lightning/Fire/Water) Powers, since this is an attack effect and not a 'normal' energy attachment?
A. No, Energy Shower does not override the Poké-BODY. (Jan 29, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Back