Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Grumpig Triumphant

Bloodbane

So. I looked the scans from Pokebeach and I came across this. Adress to Photo= http://pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=51080&c=253. I think this could be used as a tech, as it is quite multi-purpose card. It can lock Powers, and you can't get around it, which is handy, and it can deal quite heavy damage based on flips. It is also Stage 1, so you can get into play easily.

So, can you figure out any decks that could use it, and if you can, how useful it would be/what matchups it could improve?

Relying on flips to deal damage is generally bad since you're relying on chance. It's neat that it can lock powers, but Grumpig's damage output for Psychic Lock isn't anything to write home about.

He's a Zen Blade away from extinction.

Having said that, he DOES look like a cute tech in something though doesn't he?

I mean, psychic lock IS psychic lock ! :)

If you find a sneaky little use for him, I'd LOVE to know !

The most practical use I can think for him is "bright look" a VilePlume and attack it with the Grumpig.
This gives you time to get something going while under a wicked trainer lock and at the same time, take away their precious uxie drops :)

on the OTHER side of the table, it can delay a suspected healing breath and/or bright look.

Against Jumpluff, it can be wonderful tech if you can manage to get it going before they get up and running.

It's the low HP mainly I think that sucks, as beefing him up with say Expert Belt only marginally increases his HP and still leaves him in KO range of many things (and you then down 2 prizes). The Weakness isn't so much of a problem, as it can be eliminated, like with Azelf Lv X, or even Exploud whatever-set.

But regardless, something akin to Grumpig/Vileplume still sounds undeniably good on paper...granted, you would take forever to KO anything presuming you're spamming Psychic Lock to keep it in effect, but yeah...

Low HP
x2 weak to psychic
No Telepass
No Lv. Up
No alternate evolution that can OHKO anything competitive in the format
40 damage less than previous Psychic Lock

If you find a sneaky little use for him, I'd LOVE to know !

How about Mew Prime? I actually had this deck in mind for a while - combine Hunter, Mesprit LA, Grumpig TI and Mew Prime to form a turn-one-on Psychic Lock deck. Dialga can get places locking with 30 every turn; Mew can function locking with 40, though it sucks that it's so easy to lose a Mew.

I didn't think it had archetype potential, but I gave it a lot of thought so...

How about Mew Prime? I actually had this deck in mind for a while - combine Hunter, Mesprit LA, Grumpig TI and Mew Prime to form a turn-one-on Psychic Lock deck. Dialga can get places locking with 30 every turn; Mew can function locking with 40, though it sucks that it's so easy to lose a Mew.

I didn't think it had archetype potential, but I gave it a lot of thought so...

Dropping your HP to 60 to use Psychic Lock?

ha ha ha

Why wouldn't you just use the grumpig? At least you'd get 30 more HP. If you're telling us that you're E-Belting that Mew prime so that it does 40 damage, you're putting an 80 hp-two-prize-liability out on the field that's only hitting for 40 damage.

Back