Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Guide to catching Roaming Ledgendaries (Updated with HGSS)

CyberManectric

This is something many kids at league ask me for help on, so I've decided to write a guide on it.

This post contains info on the Roaming Legendaries in Platinum. If you need help catching Raikou, Entei, or Lati@s in HGSS read this post.

Basically, everyone is annoyed by Roaming Ledgendaries. Platinum has a whoping 5 Roamers. Most of us just clone Master Balls on Emerald and then catch the Roamers with no problem. What I've written here is a guide to help you catch a Roaming Ledgendary WITHOUT USING MASTER BALLS. I've checked every pokemon's movesets and found out that only two pokemon are capable of learning Mean Look, a Status Move, and False Swipe: Gallade and Smeargle.

Here's my reccomendation on using Gallade or Smeargle to catch Roamers:
Moveset:
False Swipe
Hypnosis
Taunt
Mean Look

Other attack options:
Swords Dance
Thunder Wave

Mean Look and False Swipe are the key moves here. Gallade is the only pokemon who can legally learn both of those moves. However, Mean Look is an egg move, meaning you must mate a female Gardevoir/Kirlia/Ralts with a male Gengar or Dusknoir to breed the move. If Gallade faints or is Switched out after using Mean Look, the Roamer will flee on the next turn.

Taunt is prove invaluable as it stops the ledgendary birds on Platinum from using Roost, Safegaurd (moltres), and Reflect (articuno). That way you will not be hindered as much when trying to put them to sleep or False Swipe them. Caution when using Taunt: If the pokemon you're facing runs out of attack moves (Aticuno using up all 10 Ice Beams) and you use Taunt, the pokemon will use Struggle and KO itself if you've False Swiped it.

Smeargle will have to Sketch the moveset. Double Battles are the easiest way to Sketch the move you want.

Other good False Swipers:
Scizor
Zangoose
Pinsir
Garchomp
Marowak
Breloom

Status Move is also important. You got two options:
Hypnosis: When catching a pokemon a Status condition will raise the odds of catching a pokemon. Sleep raises those odds higher then paralysis. Plus, Sleep condition will buy you extra turns if you're planning on using a Timer Ball. Reminder: Hypnosis is a level up move for Ralts and Kirlia but not for Gallade.
Spore/Dark Void: Good Favorites to use if you're planning on raising a Smeargle for catching Roamers.
Thunder Wave: Unlike Sleep, Thunder Wave effects the wild pokemon for the rest of the battle, but won't raise your odds of catching a pokemon as high as Sleep status does. A nice bonus is that the wild pokemon won't attack 1/4 of the time. Give you time to heal your Gallade/Smeargle.

I suggested Swords Dance becuase The ledgendary Birds in Platinum know Roost. Also Articuno knows Reflect. If Gallade is at Lv.100, he can chip off all but 1 HP after one Swords Dance, but he'll need to perform 3 swords dances if Articuno uses Reflect and is at full Health.

Held Item
Wide Lens: I use this so Hypnosis will hit slightly more often. Since the ledgendary birds come with Pressure, Accuracy on Hypnosis is important.

Leftovers: Gallade/Smeargle will take a beating while battling, so Leftovers will help maintain HP.

Strategies:
Search and Quick Ball:
A classic strategy that was common in DP when Catchin Mesprit or Cresselia. Now it's easier since we have a Mean Looker and False Swiper available to us.
1) Have Gallade/Smeargle use Mean Look.
2) Then False Swipe the ledgendary down to 1hp.
3) Then afflict your Status with Thunder Wave or Hypnosis.
4) Switch out Gallade/Smeargle with another one of your pokemon and let the Roamer flee on the next turn.
5) Seek out the Roamer with the help of your Marking Map. Once you run into it again, use your Quick Ball.
6) If the Quick Ball fails, simply seek out the ledgendary until you finally catch it with the Quick Ball.

Mean Look and Battle
Basically it's like Battling a stationary ledgendary like Giratina. Use Mean Look turn one and then keep the battle going until an Ultra Ball, Timer Ball, or Dusk Ball succeeds. When a ledgendary bird heals, use False swipe to keep it at bay. If you're really going to battle the ledgendary, I recommend carrying some X Sp. Def. to boost your Sp Defense and Max Potions/Full Restores.

Searching for Roamers
For some people, trying to find Roamers maybe the most frustraiting part. Make sure you have the marking map Poketch app active on the Touch Screen. The easiest way to find a roamer is to Fly to Hearthome City. Whenever you use Fly, the Roamer(s) you currently are looking for will randonly change to another route. One thing I've noticed, when your chasing a Roamer, it will STAY at its currunt route if you go though a building or a cave.

That's why I recommend you Fly to Hearthome. You have access to Routes 207, 208, 209, and 212 and as you travel between those four routes using the buildings and Mt. Coronet, the Roamer will remain stationary. Also, as a bonus you won't need to carry an HM Slave for Cut and Rock Smash. Once you're at the same route as the ledgendary, simply Surf or walk through the tall grass until you find it.

However, if you run into a common pokemon there will be a slight chance the Roaming Ledgendary will change its location, meaning you either have to follow it or Fly to Hearthome City to reset its location. If you lead pokemon is at the same level or lower then the ledgendary you're searching for, then Repel is strongly recommended.

A few friendly reminders
If you're the kind of person who likes to use Synchronize ability to get the right nature you want on your ledgendary this trick won't work. Once a Roamer is "activated" it's Natures and IV's are determined right at that moment. So if you want a specific nature on a Roamer, you'll have to save right before pressing A on Cresselia, Mesprit, or Prof. Oak.

Roamers will flee unless you use Mean Look, Block, Spider Web, or have Shadow Tag ability active.

If a Roamer does Flee, it will have the remaining HP and Status Condition it had when you last saw it.

In DPPt, Roamers don't go to Battle Zone or Route 223. So no use flying to SunnyShore, Fight/Survival/Resort Area while on your wild goose chase.

Thanks for reading and good luck capturing your Roaming Ledgendary Pokemon. :cool:
~Cyber~

Last edited:
...i do believe smeargle can also learn those moves.
The smeargle i use has:
False swipe
Spore
Mean Look

Pressure also only works if you SUCESSFULY hit the pokemon.

good read

Last edited:
I have to dissagree. Pressure works weather or not Hypnosis hits. I know, I've battled Moltres about 100 times by now.

And thanks for the suggestion on Smeargle. Totally spaced out on that one pokemon. I've added Smeargle to my first post.
~Cyber~

I noticed if you go to that one place where Cynthia's grandma is, there's a route next to it... if you walk back and forth the roaming Pokemon change location everytime you go in and out of the town. IDK if this is just platinum, because that's all I play.

Nice Guide. :thumb: Love the tech you use. I'm guessing that the Legendery Birds don't have any battle ending moves? That really annoyed me in GSC after finding one of the dogs they used roar and you would have do it all over again.

Correct, the birds don't know Whirlwind/Roar.

...they DO know Roost though, which is exceedingly frustrating @_@

I actually like Jubilife City as a location for looking for the Roamers. The birds tend to clump around that area for some reason o_O

Another strategy (more indirect, but it works) is a Mean Look/Baton Pass combo to switch out to a stronger Pokémon that can False Swipe and take hits.

Umbreon works for this.

um mods. im not sure if they are allowed to do this after 30days....

1st-it is a stickied topic. Stickied topics are stuck at the top because the topic is open for further discussion, therefore it is not inactive.
2nd-you believe that a thread is breaking the rules, you can let a mod know by reporting a post. the button can be found under the persons avatar of the post.

BTW-i just caught my Moltres thanks to the strategies in this guide. thanks.

Here's an alternative move to SD or TW on Gallade/Smeargle, Taunt. Stop them from Roosting or setting up Reflect/Safeguard, no need to have to SD up to hurt.

BTW-i just caught my Moltres thanks to the strategies in this guide. thanks.

Glad my strategy work for you! :thumb: I've captured Moltres Hundreds of times now, but never with the nature or IV's I want.

Here's an alternative move to SD or TW on Gallade/Smeargle, Taunt. Stop them from Roosting or setting up Reflect/Safeguard, no need to have to SD up to hurt.

Wow, why didin't I think of that? Thanks for the tip Pikamaster! Not only will it block Roost, Reflect, and safegaurd in Platinum, but Taunt should also stop Roar on the legendary beasts in HG/SS.
~Cyber~

Wow, why didin't I think of that? Thanks for the tip Pikamaster! Not only will it block Roost, Reflect, and safegaurd in Platinum, but Taunt should also stop Roar on the legendary beasts in HG/SS.
~Cyber~

Lol, because I'm smart and you aren't.:tongue: And that's assuming that the Dogs have Roar, they might not, though they probably will... Make sure that you edit that in, I spent so long trying to catch Moltres because Safeguard stopped Spore. And a question, does the PP of the roamers get replenished if they get away? For example, Moltres uses 15 Flamethrowers, will that PP get back up to max if it/you run?

Bulbapedia said:
Taunt's effect lasts between two to four turns or until the foe switches out. If the target is holding either Choice Band, Choice Scarf or Choice Specs on a non-attacking move, only knows one non-attacking move, or has used up all it's attack moves, the target will be forced to use Struggle until the effects of Taunt wear off.

As stated in the above quote, Taunt aslo has one major disadvantage. Like let's say Moltres uses up all it's Flamethrowers and Air Slashes and then you use Taunt and Moltres has 1HP left due to False Swipe. It'll KO itself with Struggle. I've had this happen to me before.

[DEL]Also, I seriously don't know if a Roamer restores PP upon Fleeing the battle. This calls for some experimentation. However, since they don't restore HP and Status when fleeing I'm going to make an educated guess and say no, PP will not be restored.[/DEL] Nevermind. I found out PP is restored.
~Cyber~

Last edited:
As stated in the above quote, Taunt aslo has one major disadvantage. Like let's say Moltres uses up all it's Flamethrowers and Air Slashes and then you use Taunt and Moltres has 1HP left due to False Swipe. It'll KO itself with Struggle. I've had this happen to me before.

Also, I seriously don't know if a Roamer restores PP upon Fleeing the battle. This calls for some experimentation. However, since they don't restore HP and Status when fleeing I'm going to make an educated guess and say no, PP will not be restored. I'll edit this post when I know for sure.
~Cyber~

Well, you could spend one time Tricking a Leppa berry to it.

OK, I did some experimenting with the Mesprit I never bother to catch. Turns out that if you battle it and then it flees, PP is restored on a Raoming Pokemon. I find that odd since HP and Status stay but I guess Gamefreak did us a favor by letting Raomers heal PP.
~Cyber~

I, who don't have the patience to separately look for the legendaries, do this:
When I'm breeding pokemon and cycling up and down the path through Solaceon Town, I keep the Marking Map open. When a legendary comes to the routes that I'm on, I just switch Smeargle to the front of the team, go to the grass and hope for the legendary. This leaves one less space for the eggs, but if you want you can ditch your False Swiper and just throw Quick/Dusk Balls at the pokemon. Got my Articuno without the Smeargle. :thumb:
This doesnt work if you want good EV/IV for the legendary pokemon, but if it doesn't matter, it gives you something to do when breeding. :)

HeartGold & SoulSilver

OK, now HGSS have been out for a week and I've had enough time to play around and think of ways to catch the newest set of Roamers.

So now we look at Raikou & Entei for Johto (Burned Tower), and Lat@s for Kanto (after solving the Power Plant issue). Again, we'll have to rely on Smeargle or Gallade with this Moveset:
Flalse Swipe
Hypnosis/Spore
Taunt
Mean Look

If you plan on catching Raikou or Entei with a specific Nature or IV spread, I salute you and wish you good luck. Seriously, I don't have the patience to sit down and keep releasing the beasts to find one with a perferred Nature and IV spread. Anyway, moving onto the main topic.

Entei and Raikou will begin Roaming Johto once you encounter them in the Basement of the Burned Tower. Unlike in Platinum, you are REQUIRED to release them in the main story of the game in order to continue the game. In Sinnoh you could release the Roamers whenever you wanted. In HGSS, Morty becomes available to battle after the Beasts are released, which you must do to aquire Surf and have traded Pokemon up to Lv.50 obey. If you really want a Specific Nature here's what I suggest.

Catch/Hatch a Smeargle or Ralts on the game you plan on using to catchure the legendary beasts. This way you are the Original Trainer and it will obey you at any level. Trade it to another game and raise it to a high level so it can Mean Look and battle the Legendary Beast instead of being KO'd in one shot. It's speed also has to be high enough to Mean Look the Beast before it flees. Once you have your desired Smeargle or Gallade head to the basement of the Burned Tower and save right before releasing the Legendary Beasts.

Your Pokegear's Map will show which Beast is located on which route. The Beasts change location every time you enter a city or Route or use Fly. However, they remain where they are if you go through a building or gatehouse between cities and routes, just like in Platinum. In my own battles with Raikou and Entei, I've found that Fast Balls are quite effective at catching them. Although I caught my 1st Raikou in an Ultra Ball. (It had 1HP and was asleep of course)

Both Raikou and Entei know ROAR. This is where Taunt comes in. If Raikou or Entei do use Roar, don't panic. They'll reappear on a different route and you'll have to track it down with your Pokegear's map again.

For those of you who are wondering about Suicune, it comes a stationary Legendary (like Ho-Oh) at Celurean Cape. So no need to worry about it until you're that far in the game.

As for Kanto, Lati@s is much easier to capture IMO. When you pick up Copycat's Clefairy Doll in Vermillion City, that's the perfect time to save. After you exit the Fan Club building Steven appears and talks about Latios (SS) or Latias (HG). After he's done talking one of the Lati Twins will begin Roaming. Just hunt it down, Mean Look, and have fun.

Again, these are stradegies for catching Roamers without have to waste or cheat/hack/trade for more Master Balls. Good luck.
~Cyber~

Back