Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gyarados Deck for 7 y.o. boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwaihir75

Hello, my son would like to visit pokemon turneys for begginers. We have managed to collect this deck:

2 Gyarados (SF) - 4 Magikarp (SF)
3 Abomasnow (SF) - 3 Snover (SF)
1 Bibarel (SF) - 1 Bidoof (SF)
3 Sableye (SF)
1 Uxie (LA)
1 Lunatone
1 Chatot
1 Unown G

1 Cynthia's Feeling
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Bebe search
1 Dawn Stadium
1 Snowpoint Temple
4 Felicity Drawing
3 Dusk Ball
1 Quick Ball
1 Luxury Ball
2 Night maintanance
2 Warp point
1 Rare candy

14 Water Energy
1 Call energy

Strategy: Start with sableye impersonate attack to use Roseanne's or Felicity to find or put as many magicarps to discard as possible. Then find Gyarados and attack ASAP. Meanwhile find Bibarel/Abomasnow and charge them for aditional attack. Attach Unown G to pokemon that is likely to get poison/burn or some unwanted effect (does it prevent against Crobat?).

Key is to make it simple so my 7 y.o. boy can effectively play it. I have never played this game so it is hard for me to help him). I would be grateful for any advice and reasons of those advices.

We don't have other usable cards like claydols, azelfs, ... But if there is reason I can buy/change some of them if it will be necessary.

We have left in album (among others): 1-1 abomasnow, 1 bebe search, some duskballs, quick balls, great balls, 1 profesor oak's visit, 2 prof. rowan, Aaron's colection, Team Galactic's Mars, 2 Rivals, Marley's request, 2 Upper energy,... a lot of various pokemons and maybe some more trainers/supporters.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Hello, my son would like to visit pokemon turneys for begginers. We have managed to collect this deck:

2 Gyarados (SF) - 4 Magikarp (SF)
2 Abomasnow (SF) - 2 Snover (SF)
2 Bibarel (SF) - 2 Bidoof (SF)
3 Sableye (SF)
1 Uxie (LA)
1 Lunatone
1 Chatot
1 Unown G

1 Cynthia's Feeling
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Bebe search
1 Dawn Stadium
1 Snowpoint Temple
4 Felicity Drawing
3 Dusk Ball
1 Quick Ball
1 Luxury Ball
2 Night maintanance
2 Warp point
1 Rare candy

14 Water Energy
1 Call energy

Strategy: Start with sableye impersonate attack to use Roseanne's or Felicity to find or put as many magicarps to discard as possible. Then find Gyarados and attack ASAP. Meanwhile find Bibarel/Abomasnow and charge them for aditional attack. Attach Unown G to pokemon that is likely to get poison/burn or some unwanted effect (does it prevent against Crobat?).

Key is to make it simple so my 7 y.o. boy can effectively play it. I have never played this game so it is hard for me to help him). I would be grateful for any advice and reasons of those advices.

We don't have other usable cards like claydols, azelfs, ... But if there is reason I can buy/change some of them if it will be necessary.

We have left in album (among others): 1-1 abomasnow, 1 bebe search, some duskballs, quick balls, great balls, 1 profesor oak's visit, 2 prof. rowan, Aaron's colection, Team Galactic's Mars, 2 Rivals, Marley's request, 2 Upper energy,... a lot of various pokemons and maybe some more trainers/supporters.

Thank you very much.

Ok, the problem here I would like to point out is the spread of focus on what to use. A gyrados deck is fairly simple as it does not require any energy to use, but it is all in about setting up the magikarps in the discard pile. You may have also overlooked Sableeye's other potential in providing a turn 1 win w/ its pokebody and special dark energy. This is what I suggest you should consider...

Red = remove
Blue = add

Pokemon: 18

2 Gyarados (SF) - 4 Magikarp (SF) (consider making it 3-4 ratio for better draws)
2 Abomasnow (SF) - 2 Snover (SF) (conflict of focus since your main strategy is setting up the gyrados as fast as you can)
2 Bibarel (SF) - 2 Bidoof (SF) (conflict of focus since your main strategy is setting up the gyrados as fast as you can)
3 Sableye (SF) (max out sableeye as you want him to be your main starter if possible)
1 Uxie (LA)
1 Lunatone (I do not quite understand the importance of this card really)
1 Chatot (this takes up 1 pokemon space lowering ratio and it will cost you 1 turn to hand refresh when you can do other things to set up gyrados)
1 Unown G
1 Registeel, Legends Awakening (allows you to discard 2 cards for "nothing" which helps set up the gyrados)
2-1 Floatzel GL X (if you can get it, this card will allow you to recycle gyrados nonstop if it gets knocked out which I find to be an awesome combo)
1 Azelf (in case one of your magikarps is prized)

Trainers: 30

1 Cynthia's Feeling
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Bebe search
1 Dawn Stadium (this only really helps if you pump energy)
1 Snowpoint Temple (the deck does not really focus on basic pokemon as its center is based on Gyrados)
3x Broken Time Space (allows for repeated use of Gyrados if it dies since you will be able to evolve it right away when you play magikarp down)
4 Felicity Drawing
3 Dusk Ball (a very iffy card since you are not guaranteed something you want)
1 Quick Ball (a very iffy card since you are not guaranteed something you want)
1 Luxury Ball
2 Night maintanance
4 Poke Rescue (in case floatzel X is not out so you can get Gyrados back into your hand right away)
2 Warp point
1 Rare candy (make it 3 for each gyrados line you have, in case broken does not come into play)
4 Switch (in case you need to bring back something that got warped or gyrados to your bench)

Energy: 12

4 Special Dark Energy (for using Sableeye's turn 1 kill attack)
6 Water Energy
1 Call energy (make it 2x in case you have a bad start with say unown G or azelf)

If anyone else would like to suggest something different, please do. Its always nice to help others :thumb:

You may have also overlooked Sableeye's other potential in providing a turn 1 win w/ its pokebody and special dark energy. This is what I suggest you should consider...
Yes, I did.
1 Lunatone (I do not quite understand the importance of this card really)
It helps me to discard 1 card at time, but registeel might be better if it will allow you to discard 1 card from your hand as I think you don't need always to discard 2 cards at the same time. However registeel looks way better with its 90hp and some defence against bench attacks.
2-1 Floatzel GL X (if you can get it, this card will allow you to recycle gyrados nonstop if it gets knocked out which I find to be an awesome combo)
1 Azelf (in case one of your magikarps is prized)
I'll do my best to get those cards.
1 Dawn Stadium (this only really helps if you pump energy)
1 Snowpoint Temple (the deck does not really focus on basic pokemon as its center is based on Gyrados)
It was for pumping gyarados to 5 energies - not bad idea, 2nd for defence against tyranitar's spining tail, but BTS works better

6 Water Energy
Why? For floatzel?

If anyone else would like to suggest something different, please do. Its always nice to help others :thumb:
Yes please :)

Thank you very much.

Abomasnow is not needed in Gyrados, but if you don't have the funds/ cards to build a completely competitive version ( which you won't need anyway in Juniors as much as Masters ), its a great water attacker to keep in. Its first attack can deal 120 damage if the opponent has a full bench and helps put Pokemon within 1 Hit KO range for Gyrados.

Thank you very much, I guess I can easily change 1-1 Bibarel for 1-1 Abomasnow and keep the rest. I guess you are right about Junior division - I don't expect to meet many really competitve decks with players being able to play such a deck. BTW should i put at least some special darkness energies (we have 1 ;-) to be lucky with sableye instead of some water energies? Son might be lucky or not ;-) still more options how to play it. We have new supporters: one more bebe search, buck's training and cynthia - shall i add them?

If you want Special Darkness for the donk, try and run 4 or nothing to max out your chances if you want to try that.

Supporter wise, 4 Bebes, 4 Roseannes and 4 Draw Power tends to be solid in any deck. However, most people play Claydol and Uxie for hand refresh and extra draw. You have Uxie and also Chatot, which is great. You can't rival Cynthia's Feelings for 8 cards so I would max out on those. Make sure you show your son that he should hold onto them until his Pokemon is KO'd for maximum effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back