Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gyarados deck: registeel or regice

Gwaihir75

Do you use Regice or Registeel or even Lunatone in your Gyarados deck? Why do you think yours choice is better? Do you also use Crobat Gs or Promocroak and how many? Are 2 Crobat Gs + 2 poketurns enough?

Thank you.

Regice is endlessly superior to Registeel.

Players who run Registeel do so because they don't want to make their opponent's Basic switch out (in the instance that that Basic is what they want to be attacking). Why is this an issue though? The Power is, like always, optional, to be used at one's discretion when the situation calls for it. Sableye and Felicity's can make the discard part of both Powers unnecessary with the proper set up, and then Registeel has no use at all except to lower hand count for Cosmic Power or Set Up. Regice, on the other hand, can be amazingly disruptive, acting like a permanent Cyclone energy against SP decks or the odd AMU/Regigigas/Basic-centered deck while also preventing everything else from hiding behind Basic sacrifices like Crobat G/Uxie/Chatot while they try to prepare a response to your onslaught. Having a Power that forces a switch is a great option to have! Note the word "option."

2 Crobat G is fine, but 2 Poketurns is not enough. Go with the full four. I also prefer maxing out on PlusPowers; with 4 of those, 2 Crobat G, and 4 Poketurn, you have ample opportunities to OHKO common Pokemon like Flygon, Luxray GL lv. X, and Beedrill. Promo Toxicroak G isn't necessary if you have enough damage-enhancers to be able to OHKO Luxray GL lv. X.

I ran registeel but I also ran luxray so that I could put damage on regi with luxray and then heal it off. I didn't really use luxray that much though so I would proably take out the luxray and add in another crobat. You should also play cyclone energy. I don't think you need promocroak and I'd rather play cyclones over teh psychic. I would also play 3 bat 4 turn and then 2 bucks.

Thanks for info. Do you also keep some water energies to power up Regice? I think you shouldn't have to - main and the only attacker is Gyarados.

I ran Registeel and Regice both. I know people say yeah you can discard via Felicity's but I still found myself getting my 3rd Magikarp with a Roseanne's and picked up a Registeel or Regice to discard it. If I don't have to use a Felicty's I'd rather not.

I just like the options.

mabey 2 felicitys if your going to do that
use regice sooooooooooo much better than registeel.
i run 4 poketurn,4ssu,2 crobat g,2 bucks,to help out with the extra damage and stuff.

Last edited:
What? that's not great. Run 4 Poketurn.

4 Felicity is needed and Lunatone is the best only ditching one.

no Lunatone? You need a pokemon discarder, and it's the best. play it.

I ran registeel but I also ran luxray so that I could put damage on regi with luxray and then heal it off. I didn't really use luxray that much though so I would proably take out the luxray and add in another crobat. You should also play cyclone energy. I don't think you need promocroak and I'd rather play cyclones over teh psychic. I would also play 3 bat 4 turn and then 2 bucks.

Warp > Cyclone. I don't know why people are playing Cyclone instead. Gyarados almost always has a Crobat G (which ahs free retreat) on the bench so warp is a cylone energy at worst, but also serves as a way of switching (e.g. out of sandtomb lock or if you have a regi trapped active).

Just IMHO Lunatone is the best discarder because when i need to use a non-felicity discarder I have almost always already gotten 2 karps in the discard already. I like it because it doesn't have 3/4 retreat. Though Regice gets around Mime. I am on the fence currently.

Last edited:
Really depends on the meta. I like Lunatone best ATM ... and even run 1 of the new Solrock with it in my current build. It's an interesting alternative to Claydol here. The BEST thing about it though is the 1 retreat cost. Much less worry about Trapinch pulling it active. The fact that it can discard stadiums is a minor plus as well.

Regice will shine more once Spiritomb hit's the meta.

Registell is very nice when there is spread. Ability to heal = nice.

Registeel only heals itself. Where is the benefit in keeping one useless bench sitter alive when everything else gets KOed? (Not that there are any viable spread decks out there at the moment that would give Gyarados problems.)

Lunatone does discard, and it does have less of a retreat cost, but unless it is run with Solrock as vanderbilt grad does, it is still inferior to Regice because it doesn't do anything aside from get rid of cards. Regice has another extremely useful function.

Also, in the "Cyclone versus Warp Point" argument, there are several ways that Cyclone is superior to Warp Point. If you just had a Gyarados KOed and bring up Crobat G, you can attach Cyclone to it, force the switch, and then Poketurn both cards back to your hand (after you Rescued the Magikarp and evolved it back into Gyarados, of course) so you have another chance to Cyclone them later. Also, the extra energy is useful against the odd Mr. Mime or Dusknoir (although Regice also comes in very handy against the former). If you just run 4 Call energy, you're almost never going to get around Night Spin, and if you do and then have that energized Gyarados KOed, you will have to rely completely on manipulating their bench to get any more KOs.

Regice is endlessly superior to Registeel.

Players who run Registeel do so because they don't want to make their opponent's Basic switch out (in the instance that that Basic is what they want to be attacking). Why is this an issue though? The Power is, like always, optional, to be used at one's discretion when the situation calls for it. Sableye and Felicity's can make the discard part of both Powers unnecessary with the proper set up, and then Registeel has no use at all except to lower hand count for Cosmic Power or Set Up. Regice, on the other hand, can be amazingly disruptive, acting like a permanent Cyclone energy against SP decks or the odd AMU/Regigigas/Basic-centered deck while also preventing everything else from hiding behind Basic sacrifices like Crobat G/Uxie/Chatot while they try to prepare a response to your onslaught. Having a Power that forces a switch is a great option to have! Note the word "option."

2 Crobat G is fine, but 2 Poketurns is not enough. Go with the full four. I also prefer maxing out on PlusPowers; with 4 of those, 2 Crobat G, and 4 Poketurn, you have ample opportunities to OHKO common Pokemon like Flygon, Luxray GL lv. X, and Beedrill. Promo Toxicroak G isn't necessary if you have enough damage-enhancers to be able to OHKO Luxray GL lv. X.

not trying to bash, but you are making it sound like regice/steel is unnecessary, having regice might lose you the game, or win it.

Now: Registeel, definitely. You don't want to be switching an SP Pokemon to the bench, since SP generally will NEVER have a starter Pokemon. They just go straight into their attacker. Why on earth would you want some bench fodder up there?

Now: Registeel, definitely. You don't want to be switching an SP Pokemon to the bench, since SP generally will NEVER have a starter Pokemon. They just go straight into their attacker. Why on earth would you want some bench fodder up there?

This is not always true. You have the endless option of making them switch-- the option. You make it seem like you have to use Regi Move every single turn, no matter what, when you really will only be using it to ditch Magikarp once. From then on out, you have a choice, and you can't tell me there aren't times when switching out your opponent's Basic active is beneficial.

And gallade, I don't understand your post. I am saying that in some games you can get by without the aid of any discarding mechanism aside from Felicity's. I am also saying that Regice can aid you significantly after you've gotten all your Magikarp in the discard whereas Registeel cannot.

This is not always true. You have the endless option of making them switch-- the option. You make it seem like you have to use Regi Move every single turn, no matter what, when you really will only be using it to ditch Magikarp once. From then on out, you have a choice, and you can't tell me there aren't times when switching out your opponent's Basic active is beneficial.

You're making it seem like the only purpose of Regice is to switch, while its biggest contribution to the deck is the double discard without the use of a supporter.

If power locks weren't a problem, I'd play Gyarados with Regice/Steel alone and ditch the Felicity's/Sableye start.

You're making it seem like the only purpose of Regice is to switch, while its biggest contribution to the deck is the double discard without the use of a supporter.

If power locks weren't a problem, I'd play Gyarados with Regice/Steel alone and ditch the Felicity's/Sableye start.

I've played plenty of games where I can ditch all 3 Magikarp without Regice. That makes Regice not always necessary, although it still has a major function beyond the discarding, unlike Registeel. That is the whole basis of my argument favoring Regice over Registeel.

Another card no one has mentioned here that I've seen used with Gyarados is Blissey. It usually won't come out consistently enough to help with the Magikarp discarding, but it might, and if it doesn't, the constant -20 healing can come in handy in Gyarados preservation.

Warp > Cyclone. I don't know why people are playing Cyclone instead. Gyarados almost always has a Crobat G (which ahs free retreat) on the bench so warp is a cylone energy at worst, but also serves as a way of switching (e.g. out of sandtomb lock or if you have a regi trapped active)./QUOTE]

CYCLONE. warp is terrible you never wanna retreat your gyarados anyway. And hey if you're regi or whatever you play gets locked then SSU. Cyclone is tremendously better. Get rid of mr.mime, or night spin dusknoir. massive disruption, you can drag up claydols and things if you time it right.

Back