Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gyarados...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peachyoto

Okay, I've been waiting for boost to come back so I can make my gyarados deck. With boost it seems decent, and it's my favorite so why not. I ran into the problem of Lightning weakness and at first I thought to add in some fighting, but that doesn't help much against Zappy, so I had a better idea which I will explain after the list.

22 Pokemon:
x4 Magikarp (RR)
x3 Gyarados (DX)
x2 Gyarados EX
x2 Pidgey
x1 Pidgeotto
x2 Pidgeot
x4 Nincada (DR)
x2 Shedinja (DR)
x2 Shedinja (DX)

22 Trainers:
x4 Prof. Cozmo's Discovery/TV Reporter
x3 Steven's Advice
x3 Celio's Network
x3 Copycat
x3 Rare Candy
x2 Mr. Briney's Compassion
x1 Crystal Shard
x1 Strength Charm
x1 Surprise! Time Machine
x1 Pokemon Retriever

16 Energy:
X8 Water Energy
x4 Double Rainbow Energy
x4 Boost Energy

Alright so I chose Shedinja from Dragons because it shuts down Zappy, and Zappy's partner Electrode. Not to mention all the other Evolutions and EXs. I also added in Shedinja from Deoxys because it works well with the Deoxys Gyarados. Adds those 2 damage counters or more, so Gyarados can do 100. Point of the deck is to swarm at the beginning with Gyarados for 10 to each, and power up to start doing big damage. Gyarados EX is in there for tech, whenever I need it. Any fixes/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't post my decks up much, but I need help with this one. Especially the trainers, I didnt add in any stadiums because I didnt have room, and I think I don't need them much.

Last edited:
Me like, but might want to cut down on the energy, and might want to go with some DRE, go with about 16 Energy
4 DRE
4 Boost
8 Water
and Cozmo's is not needed in here, go with just Reporter, and go with 3 Candys to get out pidgeot fast. oh, and STM for the Gyarados/Shedinja, so i would go with 2 Gex.

Omg, can't believe I forgot DREs. I'll fix that part. Also I originally had 2 GEX but tried to cut it out to make room. I don't know though, I have always had the mind set that RC were a waste if I didn't have more than 1 2nd stage evolution. Well I will try it out and see what others think.

Last edited:
well, the only thing i would suggets is take away 1 boost and 1 dre, or something like that. You need a basic energy first turn, and you, atleast in my tesing, need 10 or 11 basic or first turn use energys to be consistant. Just my opinion, tho

I don't think DRE is a good idea (but Boost is great). The problem is that it reduces the bench damage so the drawbacks are too big. It also doesn't work on Gyarados EX (which I wouldn't play) and increases your chances of not having energy for your basic Pokemon.

I don't think there is enough benefit of Pidgeot in this deck, the Rare Candies are not useful enough for other purposes.

I would play Larry in this deck. Gyarados, and both Shedinja's have great single energu attacks so the benefit of getting the Stage-1 the turn you play the basic is significant (neither basic is good for having out there by themselves).

My final suggestion would be to add the Deoxy Ninjask, the attack is great and it gives you help against Magma (which may be more widely played than Zapdos).

I worry about ATM Rock/Amphy in this deck - how do you counter those guys?

Looks like fun to play though, GyEx is a cool card.

(Dark) Ampharos should not be that much of a problem, Dragon Shedinja should work quite well (the 20 damage from evolving may actually be great since it causes the attack to do 30).

This deck should not be too sensitive to ATM Rock (at least if you avoid DRE) since you rarely will have a lot of energy to lose. The deck should play ATM Rock itself since the damage does add up with Gyarados' first attack.

Peachyoto said:
Gyarados EX is in there for tech ...
What tech are we talking about here? The second attack takes more energy for the same damage (assuming you have gotten the two damage counters on) compared to Deoxy Gyarados and the first attack is too risky. You get more HP, but you also gain sensitivity to Desert Ruins.

The Problem is Rock against you hurts badly.... with a 30 HP Basic.. it won't take much to get Mulitple KOes..

The Pidgeot is need and I would try to fit in some other Sterngth Charms for Pidgeot OHKO possibilities..

21 Pokemon:
x4 Magikarp (RR)
x3 Gyarados (DX)
x2 Gyarados EX
x2 Pidgey
x1 Pidgeotto
x2 Pidgeot
x3 Nincada (DR)
x2 Shedinja (DR)
x2 Shedinja (DX)

23 Trainers:
x3 Prof. Cozmo's Discovery
x3 Steven's Advice
x3 Celio's Network
x3 Copycat
x3 Rare Candy
x2 Mr. Briney's Compassion
x1 Crystal Shard
x2 Strength Charm
x2 Surprise! Time Machine
x1 Pokemon Retriever

16 Energy:
X12 Water Energy
x4 Boost Energy

See if that works a little better for you.... DRE isn't really need and cna do more harm than good... besides, 1 Gyar is basically given up for damage spread while the other is being built on the bench! GL

shiny squirtle said:
i really dont think there is a point in the pidgeot line. but other then that it is great
Pidgeot is used to get my boosts and other cards I need. I agree that Pidgeot isn't as strong in this deck, and the RCs are a waste of space. I think just a 2-2-2 line is good, or maybe I will replace it. We'll see.
mozartrules said:
My final suggestion would be to add the Deoxy Ninjask, the attack is great and it gives you help against Magma (which may be more widely played than Zapdos).
I had DX Ninjask to start off with but as I progressed I didn't see much use for it. Very few basics I have to watch out for, and Shedinja seems to have a power that can help me against many other decks. (like against amphy) I should be able to do decent against Magma anyway, since I can do 100 about.
mozartrules said:
This deck should not be too sensitive to ATM Rock (at least if you avoid DRE) since you rarely will have a lot of energy to lose. The deck should play ATM Rock itself since the damage does add up with Gyarados' first attack.
Yeah, I figured DRE would be really good in boost the speed of Gyarados (DX) but it could hurt more than help. I think I would at least need a few though just so I can use it in tight situations. I don't seem myself playing ATM rock in this deck though, I don't think a player would allow my Gyarados to hit that many times, and after the first Gyarados I should be doing 100. Possibility though.
mozartrules said:
What tech are we talking about here? The second attack takes more energy for the same damage (assuming you have gotten the two damage counters on) compared to Deoxy Gyarados and the first attack is too risky. You get more HP, but you also gain sensitivity to Desert Ruins.
Well I only reffered to it as a tech because I will not always be able to place 2 damage counters on my opponents, especially if they power up fast.
MrMeches said:
The Problem is Rock against you hurts badly.... with a 30 HP Basic.. it won't take much to get Mulitple KOes..
I know that is what sucks, but you have to play with that risk if you want to play Gyarados. :wink:
TrueGamerX said:
Use the Ascension Magikarp from Fire Red/Leaf Green, its much better.
At first glance that is what would look best, but in reality it's too slow. If you don't play Dunsparce you could only start with Magikarp and by turn 3 evolve into Gyarados with no bench. =/ If you do play Dunsparce you would have to switch to Magikarp and attach 2 enerys to use Ascension, so it would be by turn 4 you could have a Gyarados out. Too bad Magikarp doesn't have a 1 energy Ascension. :frown:

Thankyou all for the comments, it has given me lots to think about and lots to fix. I will post up a new list sometime later. Comments and suggestions still welcome.

I feel a good choice other than Shedinja would be Dark Ampharos. If gotten out quickly, every pokemon that evolved would take 20 damage automaticly, allowing Gyarados to hit for 100.

Good luck with the deck.

Thanks! :smile: Yeah Dark Amphy was the first thing to pop up in my mind, but you would have to get it out pretty quickly, so it's not too reliable, especially when I need it to do damage with Gyarados.

How about Dark Tyranitar? Use it's first attack to deal 20 to everything, then whatever they send up, you hit for 100?

that's a good idea too, still a bit slow since you need to power up both. Unless you use R energy, but then you would have Tyranitar out there with no Energy. The cool part about Gyarados is that it only takes 1 energy to hit everything. Also Shedinja DX is great with Gyarados because it can place 2 or 4 damage counters and if it's k.o.ed doesn't affect you at all and you bring Gyarados DX out to do 100.

*S* there is another poke you could use *A* to help with*L* getting the *A* extra 20 Damage*M* and also use*E* the big brother*N* to give everyone *C* free retreat so it *E* is easier to pound them into submission!

Trust me it works really well!! GL!

Yah.. I like this deck... if played properly it is really deadly.. I played a variation not to long ago.. but mine was with teh whole water call combo.. But Shedinja is a very good card and I think it deserves to be in that deck... It makes me so happy that people are actaully playing GyEx now.. its my Fav Ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back