Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

gyrados- how does it work?

It works by getting 3 Magikarps in the discard by T2/3 and hitting 90 for no energy. It might go Sableye start, Impersonate Roseanne, get 2 Magikarp. T2 Impersonate Felcities, discard 2 Magikarps, etc. You have a Gyrados in your hand and BTS in play so when Gdos is KO'd, its Pokemon Rescue a Magikarp, Bench, evolve and you're back. Its fast, flexible, has great recovery, and it hits hard. Lots of lists run Plus Powers, Bucks, Cyclone energy to manipulate damage and control the board. I'm not sure what it has a negative matchup against, if anything.

The real negative matchup for Gyarados is Luxray GL. That's why the list that placed at Worlds run by that French dude ran 1 Toxicroak G promo. :thumb:

Yeah, LuxrayGL+LucarioGL=bad news for gyarados, who can only come back to do 90, not enough for the KO. Although Luxray has to use a crobat or pluspower itself, it's much easier for them to do than Gyarados.

Deafen can also hurt, from Luxray. Doing 120 with luxray and deafening can really mess with the opponent's plans ;X

And Honchkrow's negative matches are, well, everything. So who wins out there?

1-1 Honchkrow SV isn't too hard to put into your deck if you're worried about Gyarados, are already running a deck that can move its Pokemon around a lot, and don't want to put in trainers/supporters to help upkeep Luxray. But Honchkrow alone doesn't do much. You need a Dusknoir DP to really do much, and, well...

Luxray isn't that bad as long as it isn't some weird build built JUST to counter Gyarados. IMO one of the worst matchups is Gengar/Queen. Lots of trainers, no way around FS, it's not very fun...

Yeah, LuxrayGL+LucarioGL=bad news for gyarados, who can only come back to do 90, not enough for the KO. Although Luxray has to use a crobat or pluspower itself, it's much easier for them to do than Gyarados.

Deafen can also hurt, from Luxray. Doing 120 with luxray and deafening can really mess with the opponent's plans ;X

i do not want to start an argument, but the luxray machup is very dependent on weather or not you play claydol. usually, the machup is in your favor, because, when i test it, i can do 90, plus a crobat drop and poketurn (i play 3 bats and 4 turns). gyrarados's recovery is amazing, because once you set up, you can really draw into those recovery cards (2 TSD and 4 pokemon rescue). they may be able to one shot you, but you can get usually 7 gyrarados's every game.

Back