Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gyrados

crazypokemon

Ok working on having the best 6 pokemon in my team, so far I'm only working on 1 of the 6-gyrados.

I am thinking item leftovers
attacks Fireblast, blizzard, thunder and havent decided between hydro pump& earthquake

Whats the best ability/nature to have
best ev/iv training?

And any suggestions on what other 5 i should have?

Firstly, Gyarados' Attack stat is much higher than its Special Attack stat. You would want to be abusing that. Gyarados is a monster sweeper with decent bulk, so you can max its Attack, give it high Speed or HP, or bulk its Special Defense; all of those are good options.

Assuming 5th gen, Gyarados has access to Waterfall, Earthquake, and Bounce as good primary attacking options. It can also use Dragon Dance to further boost its stats, Substitute to shield it from incoming attacks, or Ice Fang to run a dedicated all-attacking set with something like Choice Band or Choice Scarf.

I'm not really familiar with how Gyarados works in doubles but I imagine its Earthquake is pretty scary.

When/how is the best way to do hpup,carbos,iron all those other items.As early level as possible or higher up in level...or does it all even out in the end?

Because i know baby pokemon you can use alot more of those items on it than lv 100 pokemon.

Or is there some kind of formula ie 3 carbos lv 1 magikarp, 2 lv 25 3 lv 45 et etc

I am trying to make it as strong as possible with the best iv/ev attack combo.

As far as those moves you listed i have no idea about those moves. Waterfall or any hm to me kinda sucks.

I would think leftovers would be a good defense move because i will always regain HP, leftover gets alot of hp overall like mega/giga drain without waisting an attack to regain hp, much better than a berry which is a 1 time use.

Also if i go with earthquake which pokemon would be best to not be effected by earthquake on my team ie leviate/protect or anything else not effected my earthquake.

I figure i need at least 1 pokemon to be a tool for me to better use gyrados.

Anyway i can make gyrados use rain dance just by entering battle because i dont want to give it that attack.

As to when and how to apply vitamins/feathers/shop boosts:

Start at level 1 if you can. I say this since it is now way easier to get in the effort points in right off, as it will save a lot of time to just get in those ev points included before leveling up. After you have those ev points applied- it will not matter what you battle against and you do not need to focus on exactly what to battle against that gives the specific ev points you need to boost the stat.

Pokemon gain the ev points during a battle/after the battle.

If you face off against a low level Pokemon to get an ev point applied to the stat, it will be applied after the battle since you KO'd it. If the Pokemon is at a way high level, say 50 and your Pokemon is at level 92- after the KO you won't neccessarily gain enough experiance to level up (unless your right there at the point that what ever you KO will make you level up)- you will have the ev's applied during that level's experiance obtained, thus allowing you to stack those ev's during the level up battles needed.

Say your Pokemon is at level 30, and you go battle wild level 3-4 Pokemon that give you the ev's your looking for. You KO like 15, but do not gain enough experiance to level up to 31. All of those ev's are applied during that level, stacking the ev points and those ev's raising the stat as ou go on to leveling up.

If say you want to use vitimins/feathers/boost on a Pokemon that you have leveled up without actually focusing on the Pokemon that give you the desired ev points to raise a stat, you have unintentionally given you Pokemon random ev points that will be applied anywhere/everywhere (misplacing due to not focusing on specific Pokemon that give the ev's you need in order to increase a single stat like attack)- you will not be able to use as many vitamins because you have already applied ev's, thus "shrinking" the amount you have left that can still be applied.

You get only 510 total ev's, without "controling" those ev placements, you deplete the 510 down, thus the reason why your not able to apply all 10 vitimins into one stat at level 70 verse level 1.

I hope all of that made sence.

As far as building a good Gyro- I will post again in a bit later as to a good/possible Gyro for what your wanting to do.

Edit--------------------

kk-

Adamant nature- Apllies to give top max attack stat for nature, and does not hurt the speed stat.

Moxie ability- something is KO'd- free boost in your attack.

Life Orb- has recoil, but who does not like to hit extra hard?

Move set:

Dragon Dance- boost speed and attack
Waterfall- STAB with possible flinch effect
Bounce- Stab and if your fast enough speed wise, it'll get 'dos out of harms way in many cases
Earthquake- coverage from most electric Pokemon to hit for weakness.

This build is with the intent to get the most benefit to hit the hardest. If this is not exactly what your looking for, there are afew other builds/move sets that can be set for other purposes other then pure brute force.

Last edited:
I would suggest mock building in something called net battle. Natures suggestions, +atk -sp atk, or -def. Would suggest a strong attack group most likely expert belt.

Simulaters are not "frowned upon"- simulatores are just like the Pokemon on line card game. You get to test out a deck to see if your deck will play out the way your stratagy is set up.

If you do not have the cards, the simulator provides you the cards for you before you actually need to obtain the physical cards to use in real life.

Now, it is another thing to use a program to create a Pokemon and input that Pokemon's programming onto the game cartridge itself. Simulators should not have a way to transfer that sort of information to any other device for modifiing a game cartridge.

In the past i have used Gyarados in a competitive environment, and it's a great attacker for any team.

This is the Gyarados i currently use (and yes it is the red one):

Gyarados*
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
EV Focus: Atk, HP
IVs: Atk (Fantastic)
Hold Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Moves:
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge

This guy has saved me quite a few matches. Lum Berry is quite useful because with my luck I always hit status conditions. DD and Waterfall are standard issue. Ice Fang is my Dragon killer (thinking of replacing it with Earthquake though). Stone Edge is a nice coverage move that rounds out the edges of the set.

It's not perfect but certainly packs a punch.

Back