Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Happy Meals illegal?

StarrySora

http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/where-happy-meals-are-illegal-19362009

Yes in California, Happy Meals are now illegal because of the toys that entice the kids to buy unhealthy food. What a crock...ya know, parents could just do some parenting and not give into their kids demands and stop buying them the food they don't want them to eat instead of making the Happy Meals illegal. I can only imagine what went on, because as we all know, actually doing parenting is an obvious choice and makes too much sense. What are your thoughts on happy meals being illegal in California? Should the rest of the US follow in this example or should parents make the decision not to buy food that they deem unhealthy for their kids?

It's really bad when the government starts thinking for us and making all of our decisions :frown:

Things like this should really anger the public and cause us to take back our country by whatever means necessary.

Blasphemy!

Though I haven't consumed a happy meal in over 10 years, the toy was the REASON for the happy meal!! What was better than mom saying "alright guys, let's get a happy meal"??

Dang government....get away from the happy meal, and take the filet-o-fish instead.

It's really bad when the government starts thinking for us and making all of our decisions :frown:

Things like this should really anger the public and cause us to take back our country by whatever means necessary.

Well, there's a massively large number of Americans (since that's the topic at hand - no, I'm not saying us Canuckleheads are immune from this) that DON'T think for themselves, that's the problem. Quite frankly, if you're young enough to want the toy in the Happy Meal, you need to be not eating the Happy Meal.

Not to mention, you can eat as many happy meals as you want, it wont effect MY health. The same can't be said for smoking.

Many happy meals give healthy choices such as apple slices or a fresh banana and many places even offer skim milk or sugar-free fruit juices as well.

A toy in a happy meal isn't the same as the smoking advertising aimed at kids, so smoking should probably be left out of this one.
If a parent is incapable of giving their child something other than a happy meal for food every day, they probably aren't exactly fit to be raising children anyways.

It's okay for the government to tell me what is or isn't healthy enough for me and tomorrow you will all be laughing at me because I don't know how to use the three seashells (kudos to anybody that gets that reference).

The government is not always evil, but the U.S. doesn't need to become a nanny state.
Seriously, there should never be a point where anybody thinks it's a good thing for the government to treat everybody like they are too stupid to make their own choices.

Can't say that I like McDonald's food, but they aren't banning the food, they are banning the legal promotion of it.
Next they will say that there can't be any advertising on drink cups because it attracts people to drinking soda that is chocked full of carbs.

It is illegal to smoke within 15 feet of a public place in Illinois. The reason why they are still legal is because of the taxes on them.

Back on topic. If parents think that the toy makes the child want the happy meal, then I saw take them to Walmart and put an Apple or Orange next to all the toys. Then, watch the children go wild...

OMG really people. Yes good parents and people blaming mcdonalds instead of themselves. Its easy parents dont take them there. Good job parents take on the responsibility dont blame others.

I don't see this as bad. It will make parents go to mcdonalds and such less often. The toy was put there to make the kids want happy meals. It does promote bad eating habits.

Okay so they are controlling you by taking away happy meals? What a joke to say something like that. You can still buy a cheeseburger small fries and apple juice or something I am sure. They aren't taking away that option.

It will be nice to see less fat kids in america imo.

I think the solution is to make it a law to where fast food (or any restaurant food, really) has to meet certain health standards.

Take the toys out of 'em, I don't care. Kids might not associate happy meals with toys anymore, but fast food is still going to be a much more convenient option than a well cooked, healthy meal.

Nothing will change unless the food itself changes.

This is a step in such a bad direction....

EDIT- No, the solution isn't to make other laws, or make strict health codes, or anything else that makes the government have more say in how people live their lives. The solution to things like this is to repeal laws like this that blatantly disregard personal freedom. If McDonalds wants to sell toys with food, they should be allowed to. Just because the government thinks that it is bad for the peoploe doesnt mean it should be illegal. Especially since we are only talking about McDonalds. If Marlboro offered a toy with every pack, I could understand a law like this, but over fast food? Is personal freedom so unimportant that it is tossed aside because some suits dont think that kids should be eating fast food?

This is a step in such a bad direction....

EDIT- No, the solution isn't to make other laws, or make strict health codes, or anything else that makes the government have more say in how people live their lives. The solution to things like this is to repeal laws like this that blatantly disregard personal freedom. If McDonalds wants to sell toys with food, they should be allowed to. Just because the government thinks that it is bad for the peoploe doesnt mean it should be illegal. Especially since we are only talking about McDonalds. If Marlboro offered a toy with every pack, I could understand a law like this, but over fast food? Is personal freedom so unimportant that it is tossed aside because some suits dont think that kids should be eating fast food?
I'm not saying that that law should be in place. I'm just saying taking the toys out of happy meals isn't going to solve the problem they're trying to solve.

It's only going to stop kids from associating fast food with toys. However, fast food will always be the most convenient way to get lunch when you don't have the time to go home and cook a healthy meal.

If people want to eat food that's bad for them, I don't care. I eat my share of fast food, and I'm not like a total health freak, either. I just think they're going about this wrong.

Last edited:
I wonder what the fry guys are going to do about this- besides impersonating Tangala.......
Any ways, parents should be the ones in charge of making sure that their children eat healthy, and teaching them to make healthy choices when they are older. As a parent, I make sure to the best of my ability to make sure that my kids eat as healthy as possable, and help them to pick out healthy snacks. But, I can see that a place like Subway will be the next fast food place to become "under fire" by animal activist's to stop putting toys in their kid's meals-
the issue to me all boils down to this- let the parents decide what is best for their kid's. When the kid is old enough, then they can go by the happy meals they think they missed out on as a kid ( but, if you taught them to eat healthy, maybe they won't)-

"American consumers have no problem with carcinogens, but they will not purchase any product, including floor wax, that has fat in it." -- Dave Barry

Back