Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Help me build a VGC team to experiment with.

Kayle

Everyone else is doing it.

All I know is that this is where I want to start.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Attack 252 Speed (or HP?)
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Swords Dance/Protect?

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: [del]Technician[/del] Pressure (I wish!!)
EVs: 252 Attack 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Taunt

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Attack 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

okay more?

edit: sorry, ambiguity. VGC team.

Last edited:
Because Breloom is a tad slow in VGC, you will need to work with Tailwind or Paralysis support to make a Kings Rock set work. I question why you chose Breloom as your Kings Rocker though, when something like Cincinno with SKill link can guarante 5 seperate flinch chances and is blazing fast for the VGC metagame. Breloom does much better as a boosting sweeper with Swords Dance, or with the raw power of Life orb or Choice Band.

Additionally, Breloom has some problematic typing for VGC. You will need a strong Ice/Dragon type and strong Ground type to deal with the threats of Dragon types and Metagross, an extremely common threat. Cresselia also laughs off this set taking pitifull damage from Bullet Seed and beign bale to carry Flame Orb and be unaffected by Spore, so a good Dark/Bug or Ghost type is also reccomended. A scarf Hydregion with Dragon Pulse/Earth Power/Dark Pulse/(Flamethrower/Surf/Uturn etc) or even Garchomp with Outrage/Earthquake/Dragon Claw/(filler) may help with these threats in particular.

Because Breloom is a tad slow in VGC, you will need to work with Tailwind or Paralysis support to make a Kings Rock set work. I question why you chose Breloom as your Kings Rocker though, when something like Cincinno with SKill link can guarante 5 seperate flinch chances and is blazing fast for the VGC metagame. Breloom does much better as a boosting sweeper with Swords Dance, or with the raw power of Life orb or Choice Band.

Err... Kings Rock was a weird choice, I agree. Not sure what I was thinking. Swords Dance is probably a better way to go, though I'm not sure how one goes about setting up in the VGC environment. Maybe just a CB set?

Additionally, Breloom has some problematic typing for VGC. You will need a strong Ice/Dragon type and strong Ground type to deal with the threats of Dragon types and Metagross, an extremely common threat. Cresselia also laughs off this set taking pitifull damage from Bullet Seed and beign bale to carry Flame Orb and be unaffected by Spore, so a good Dark/Bug or Ghost type is also reccomended. A scarf Hydregion with Dragon Pulse/Earth Power/Dark Pulse/(Flamethrower/Surf/Uturn etc) or even Garchomp with Outrage/Earthquake/Dragon Claw/(filler) may help with these threats in particular.

I like Weavile as an answer to Dragons and Cresselia. I hate Garchomp in general, but I can see why he combos well with Breloom. I'll put up some sets I guess.

i somewhat feel like your copying me... i almost top cut in nationalswith weavile breloom..... lol jk jk but they pair well together but i was running breloom more for spore support on my team. adamant scarf with max speed max attack. it was able to out speed many threats and spore them turn 1 while weavile faked out the other pokemon. a choice band set could work but i would run scarf or set up with a foongus (not kidding its tanky) or follow me user as togekiss or tangrowth to tank specialy or physicaly witchever your team needs. weavile is a complete beast. i see how your running taunt. i would rather run a tornadus for taunt support and run brick break instead for bonus coverage that makes it almost perfect if no perfect. the only problem with starting breloom and weavile is that your opponent can heatwave zapdos (or hydregon or tornadus now with bw2) and ko both if they have taken out weaviles sash. on the breloom it looks good but i prefer seed bomb and low sweep instead of your stab moves. low sweep can lower the speed of other problematic pokemon. i do believe weavile is a great counter to popular pokemon such as dragons, cresselia, and others. the garchomp is standard. need more info to add to your team. if you are planning to start with weavile breloom alot and are getting murdered by heat wave users you can try infernape. it resist fire and can still hit many pokemon hard with a physical or special set. as for tailwind/support pokemons, i would suggest togekiss or tornadus. togekiss has the raised flinch chance and can be incredibly bulky. it also gets heatwave to counter scissor metagross or ferrothorn. tornadus however is garented to set up tailwind or get priority on other support pokemon or TR users. also, it has the speed to pull of air slash flinch chance without setting up tailwind and while it can't be as bulky as togekiss, its a great toolbox and with bw2 it gets heatwave just like togekiss. also, looking at this half your team should use another special attacker along with your tailwind support, witchever you chose. a odd one but effective, is T-tar. i have been playing around with it and running a life orb and ice beam thunderbolt, fire blast and dark pulse it has amazing coverage and can surprise people. if you wish to have a more powerful ice type move you can run unnerve and blizzard so you can have a normally accurate blizzard without sandstorn breaking your sashes or weather disruption. and last, you should run a tank, such as foongus, tangrowth, or cresselia. cresselia is the most over used tank/wall in the meta but tangrowth or even tangela can take a hit, switch out, and recover with regenerator. and with tangela you have eviolite hitting around 275 defence with bold and max defence. but with a SD raising nature it still hits around 250. foongus it mainly for trick room but can still tank well with eviolite but its mainly for fun even tho it can tank very hard. so from reading my comment, im thinking of your team being....

breloom
weavile/infernape
garchomp
tornadus/togekiss
T-tar
Cresselia/other wall

and i don't feel like typing the movesets, ill do it anyway.

breloom
item-life orb/scarf
seed bomb/bullet seed
mach punch/low sweep
SD/ protect
ev's-252 at 252 sp 4 hp
nature-adamant

weavile/infernape
item-sash/sash
fake out
ice punch/close combat
night slash/flare blitz
brick break/thunder punch
ev's-252 at 252 sp 4 hp
jolly

garchomp
item-bright powder (i dislike yache plus its better on a different pokemon on here)
earthquake
rock slide
dragon claw
protect
ev's-252 at 252 sp 4 hp
jolly

togekiss/tornadus
item-yache
tailwind
air slash
heatwave
protect/taunt