Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Help with kyogre deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeBind

I'm not sure if i post this the right place, but anyway, here goes..
Introduction
First of all i'm kind of new to the TCG but i do get the basics and try to work out strategies. Anyway:
I have been experimenting with a Primal Kyogre EX Deck, and sometimes it works extremely well, but most of the time, nothing in the deck seems to work. It seems like the deck needs some kind of "connection" between the cards. The cards does not seem to work well together. I have tried to look around the internet for ideas, but all the ideas i can find of Primal fish decks are expanded format. I really want one that works well in standard format from XY and up.

Deck
Pokémon:
2 x Kyogre | PRC #53
3 x Kyogre EX | PRC #41
3 x Primal Kyogre EX | PRC #55
Trainers:
2 x Rough Seas
1 x Shrine of Memories
2 x Professor's Letter
2 x Lysandre
3 x Energy Retrieval
2 x Xerosic
4 x Skyla
2 x Steven
3 x Switch
2 x Energy Switch
3 x Dive Ball
3 x Kyogre Spirit Link
3 x Shauna
2 x VS Seeker
Energy:
12 x Water Energy
2 x Double Colorless Energy

Strategy
My main goal is to get a Primal Fish loaded with energy as fast as possible. Then get some Primal Fish on the bench and load them with energy from the active Primal Fish's Tidal Storm. Then use the Switches to switch between the loaded Primal Fishs and the non loaded. The Energy Switch is for situations where i don't have a ton of energy. Then i use them to play around with the energy already in play because i have to move two energies from the active primal fish everytime i attack. Suprisingly that works very well - if i'm lucky.

Problem
The above only works if i am very lucky with my draws, otherwise it's basically a disaster where nothing works. I began to loose against every Mega Mewtwo Y deck as well as Night March and Vespiquen decks. So i began adding some trainers to help me counter those decks and now, nothing in my Primal Fish deck works unless i have a VERY lucky start.

Either i have no energy and i have tons of Kyogres, or i am loaded with energy and the i only have the normal kyogre non-ex in play and no trainer cards to get the EX fish out.. Just the opposite when i need energy.

The two Normal Kyogres PRC #53 i only added because i had problems against such Pokémon as Regice with Ressistance Blizzard. So i thought i needed something non-ex to be able to attack.

The Shrine of Memories is when i evolve the fish to the primal fish in situations to get more HP because it would die otherwise, then i can still attack with Water Pulse from the non-primal ex fish if i am low on energy.

I tried my best to implement trainer cards in the deck so i could search for both energies and fish. Or trainer cards making me search for other trainer cards to search for both energies and primal fish. AND a few trainer cards to help me counter Mega Mewtwo Y decks... or Night March and Vespiquen for that matter.

I really hope someone has an idea for the deck, because i would really like a Primal Fish deck.

I practice with my nephew and daughter using a similar primal Kyogre deck. But like you mentioned, I use Expanded. Vespiqueen is bad in this match because of its Grass energy, of course. The promo Jirachi with Stardust can help against that, to knock off their Double Colorless (then force them to use a Lysandre or Escape Rope to counter). Shrine of Memories is reasonable, just the 1, for the reasons you mentioned. I might suggest less Skyle or Steven and consider Tierno (draw 3) instead. And the newer BREAKthrough has Fishing Rod (trainer) or Fisherman (pull 4 energy to hand, supporter) which I think are valid for Standard (many don't like Fisherman, but combined with Kyogre alpha gowth it can be a big difference in later game). I've also tried actually a Wailord EX just to use as a stall -- then use AZ (supporter) to pull it off (or a float stone, which is reprinted and valid for standard). A Tool Retreiver (item) could help also (to swap spirit links around, or swap in a muscle band which can make a difference!). Also, no Sycamore? Maybe consider 2 of those, and 1 Ultra Ball, so you can discard a Supporter that you can later call back reliably using the VS Seeker (except during Item Lock, of course)? 11-13 water energy is reasonable, but maybe only 1-2 Energy Retrieval. I tried a Grieinja EX also (XY promo), since it is 1 water attack and 1 energy retreat (mostly just as a stall), but since it is also weakness to grass, I ended up taking it back out (Shyamin EX is good alternative, or Jirarchi EX {different than promo Jirachi non-EX}). Good luck!

Vespiqueen, Night March, and Mega Mewtwo Y are hard to beat in general. If they get started fast they just overrun just any deck especially a setup deck like Primal Fish. I have trouble with them all the time. I would take out 1 Skyla and all 3 Shauna to put 4 Sycamore or Juniper one of the two as those will help you get setup faster. I would also include two Shaymin EX though they are expensive. At 30 dollars on Amazon right now. Shaymin will also help you setup faster. Check my metal and water deck I posted and reply to them if you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back