Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Heracross EX and Friends (NEEDS HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubone

Hey everybody! Heracross EX has been an interesting Pokemon to me in that it seems to be a viable attacker and fit nicely with the current format. I have been trying to create a half decent deck and I feel as if I'm on to something, however, I'm posting here to see if anyone has advice to push me over the edge from winning 3/4ths of my games to winning 5/6ths, 7/8ths, etc.

Pokemon: 11

Heracross EX-3
M Heracross EX-1
Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir (40/106)-1/1/1
Elgyem/Beheeyem (Damakinesis)-1/1
Cherubi/Cherim(Fair-Weather Heal)-1/1

Trainers: 37

Escape Rope-3
Pokemon Catcher-3
Potion-3
Professor's Letter-3
Switch-4
Ultra Ball-3
Colress-1
Lysandre's Trump Card-2
N-3
Pokemon Center Lady-3
Pokemon Fan Club-2
Professor Juniper-3
Skyla-2
Muscle Band-1
Rock Guard-1

Energy: 12

Rainbow Energy-1
Green Energy-6
Purple Energy-3
Herbal Energy-2

Strategy:

As you probably have guessed, Heracross EX is the main attacker of this deck. A preferable turn one would be having Heracross EX start as the Active Pokemon and have a Green Energy on it to prepare for a Guard Press. After Heracross EX has been powered up with Green Energies, work on getting Dusknoir and Beheeyem into play. They are mostly late game relievers as they can heal Heracross EX (or M Heracross EX) and deal a decent amount of damage along the way. Dusknoir allows you to take damage counters off of (M) Heracross EX and help you survive longer/deal more damage. Beheeyem can be used to either trap a low powered free/low retreat cost Pokemon or to transfer 6 damage counters on any of your Pokemon to the opponents Pokemon. Cherim is a helpful but RARELY a crucial card, unless you are playing a shootout match against a 50/50 match-up (see match-ups at bottom of article). Cherim can heal 2 damage counters off of any Pokemon with Green Energies attached to it. As a note, I rarely Mega Evolve Heracross EX unless I am playing a Pyroar deck or I have a free turn due to lack of Energy or Status Condition, etc.

Match-Ups:

(Heracross EX-Match-Up Deck) [Win-loss ratio]

Night March- 75-25ish :DD

This match-up has worked in the favor of Heracross EX every time I have played, however, if a Night March deck gets a 2/3 turn start, it could be ugly for Heracross EX. I imagine this deck loses 1 in every 4 against Night March, but I have played Night March 6 times and have not lost so this number could vary. Lysandre's Trump Card and excessive HP and HP restoration is the reason for these wins.

Fairy Transfer- 65-35 :D

This match-up is a shootout, like I said earlier, so if you think ahead and prepare for the late game, i.e. use Cherim to heal and Dusknoir to keep Heracross EX alive, you should be able to outlast the onslaught. M Heracross EX can come in handy when trying to O.H.K.O Xerneas EX.

Toxicroak EX/Chandelure EX- 58-42 :)

This match-up is usually very close, but I have noticed that although it seems that all hope is lost, Heracross EX can pull through. This win is possible by using a lot of healing and switching/warping, etc. Also, fast set ups hurt T/C EX badly. Good luck in this match-up, play smart and conservatively and you should be able to pull out a victory.

Pyroar- 10/90 DD:

This is not a good match-up. There is very little Heracross EX can do aside from recognizing the fire deck quickly and setting up Duscnoir or Mega Evolving Heracross EX. Good luck with this match-up, you're gonna need it.

Charizard EX- 55-45 :)?

I have only played this deck twice, once I won without having any of my Pokemon getting K.O.ed, another time it came down to one prize card. This match-up all depends on the starts you and your opponent get off to. Charizard EX takes a long time to bulk up, however, if it does get powered up, you and Heracross EX could be in for a bumpy ride.

Metal Recycling Variants- 70-30 :D

This is generally a good match-up if you can get off to a strong start. If your opponent is using Battle Compressor they could be dealing heavy damage by turn 3, so to counter that I would use Lysandre's Trump Card generously and be sure to power and heal Heracross EX's whenever necessary.

Random/Rogue/Yveltal Stuff- 80-20 :DDD

Heracross EX generally does well against non-archetypal decks. I have won 10 out of 12ish games while the opponent is using a rogue deck and Heracross EX has performed exceptionally well. Follow a basic strategy and play conservatively if you are playing an unfamiliar deck.

Thank you for reading a short write-up on my Heracross EX deck. All help is considered. Feel free to ask questions!
Best,
Matt M. (AKA cubone)
1/2/15

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back