Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS Prime and LegendCards Warping/Curling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatherdu

Has anyone noticed any of their HGSS Prime and Legend cards bending, warping, or curling? We got a few at a prerelease over a week ago that immediately went into a binder so I did not notice. Then last night my family opened two boxes of HGSS and after sorting we noticed that the pile of Primes and Legends were really curled even noticeable when stacked with other non-holo cards around them. They were not sleeved at the time so maybe that will correct the issue but I'm just wondering if this is common with HGSS or if we got some bad packs.

Thanks for you input!

Actually, yes. I recently opened a box of HGSS and pulled a full lugia and ho oh prime. The moment I took them out of the pack, they were sleeved and put into by binder, yet they have started to curl. Not sure why this is happening...

I pulled three Legend pieces at a recent PR, all of which were sharply curved right out of the pack. Last night I also saw a Donphan Prime come out of a pack curved as well. Other Primes that may have come out of the pack flat (and even things like PR Pichu) are bending extremely quickly. I've never had this happen so quickly with any Lv. X or ex in the past. Those cards did tend to bend as well, yes, but it took them a lot longer and it wasn't nearly as noticeable as it seems to be with Legend and Prime.

No problems here yet. Central Illinois in the winter is incredibly dry, though. Dunno how they'll hold up in March...

Ohio is dry as well and they could not have been sitting long since they just went on sale this week. I've had old cards curl over time but I've never noticed it right out of the pack like this before. My husband is really concerned that they won't be playable because they will fail deck checks.

I live in a very dry area (though we have been getting quite a bit of rain recently) as well. Yet, my Lugia (bottom) is more badly curled than any other card I've owned. I think it's because the entire card is holofoil - it curls much more readily without a layer of normal cardstock to keep it in place.

omg dude you are right man i just got a pack like two hours ago and i am looking at them right now and them stacked on each other, they are freaking curling with spaces!

I put some of my cards into protective toploaders when I got them (holos, namely), however most reverse holos I did not.

The cards in toploaders remained very straight (including Ho-Oh Legend Bottom), and now they are in my card binder (with a thick sleeve on each of them on top of the page's protection) and appear to be quite flat. The reverse holos, however, have curled a LOT. More than any card I have ever had. I got these cards about 2 weeks ago.

My cards are curling "hamburger" way (from top to bottom) rather than "hot dog" (side to side). Is this true of other people?

I also feel I should note that the area I live in is very cold, but also pretty dry. It rains about once every week or two and snows occasionally now.

Feel free to correct me, but I'm fairly sure it my have to do with the excessive amount of foil now being used in cards.

That's what I heard at the PR anyway, when I complained about my 2 pulled Donphan Primes being curled.

EDIT: I'm opening full SV/HGSS booster boxes tommorrow. I'll compare any Primes/LEGENDS to any lvl x's I may get, and get back to you.
Also, I live in Maryland(Now under thirty-something inches of snow), and my Lvl X's and Primes almost never bend here.

Last edited:
hum... There is a slight curl, hamburger style, in my reverse holo and prime pokemon.

It's only slight. Definitely not bad like the Deoxys cards.

I thought this was normal. :frown:

My friends and I got into the game a few months ago, and every holo we've ever pulled was curled straight out of the packs. They all have a noticeable curl that makes them stand out easily in the deck, except when sleeved.

Yes, I think some curling is normal from shuffling, etc. and from humidity as mentioned by a few people. Most of it happens over time though from my experience. I took a look again this evening taking the HGSS cards and some older Lv X cards out of my binder and the HGSS are definitely more curled (hamburger style - top and bottom curling towards each other with the picture inside). Maybe the others have benefited from and been straightened by the binder over time?

No... they come out of the pack curled. I found it especially annoying when at league today I drew my reverse Pokemon Reversal as my first card in 75% of my games. I really would try and stay away from these reverse holos as they could easily be caught as a marked card situation.

Yeah I live in Colorado and I've noticed this curing too. It's mostly the holos, but there is definitely a curve on them. Maybe it has to do with the holo ink they used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back