Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Highest Possible Stat?

Scribble

In the days of G/S/C, the highest stat was 999, attainable through use of Thick Club, Sword Dance, Belly Drum, Amnesia, Agility and the like. The reason the cap being 999 is because the battle program has a limit to how many numbers you can send, however, the processing power of the GBA is higher than that of the GBC, so can a stat break the 999 barrier?

I ask this because Azumarril can boost its attack beyond the limit by a combination of its ability (Huge Power) and the move Belly Drum.

Also, because with the new Deoxys (FR Deoxys), with a base stat of 180 in both attacking stats, it is capable of doing so with Calm Mind.

What is the stat cap for Ru/Sa/Fr/Lg anyway?

I am willing to bet it is 999, as they do not want to exceed 3 digits. But, you raise an interesting point about going over this. I believe I read somewhere that if 999 is exceeded, the stat will loop back to 1. Yes, 1. Why? I don't remember if they said why.

Scribble said:
. The reason the cap being 999 is because the battle program has a limit to how many numbers you can send, however, the processing power of the GBA is higher than that of the GBC, so can a stat break the 999 barrier?

999 was a programmed limiter, not a processor limit (remember, ALL computer math is done in powers of 2, and bits are stored in groups of 8 (one byte). the next higher power of 2 is 1024, or 2^10, which is more than a byte (2^8, or 256), and the next higher byte is 2^16, or 65536). Likely they didn't change the programmed limiter because it is not necessary to do so.

Last edited:
One person on Azure managed to have a Kyogre use Calm Mind and some other enhancers to reach a Special Defense of somewhere over 1100. Nothing can have an unmodified stat that high, though. A Blissey with full DVs and EVs in HP is the highest stat you can see just on the status screen.

I tested this a while ago. The stat limit of 999 does not exist in the RSEFL generation of games. Even if you have 400Special Attack you can keep still Calm Mind 6 times to reach 1600 Special Attack. Not only that the "wrap around" at 1024 doesn't exist either. So don't have to worry about your Marowak having too much Attack and Thick Club.

If you are wondering my original test was done with a Lv85 Kyogre. It had 294 Special Attack and 299 Special Defense. I used Calm Mind 6 times.

No Boosts: 294/299
1 Boost: 441/448
2 Boosts: 588/598
3 Boosts: 735/747
4 Boosts: 882/897
5 Boosts: 1029/1046
6 Boosts: 1176/1196

Burninating_Torchic said:
I believe I read somewhere that if 999 is exceeded, the stat will loop back to 1. Yes, 1. Why? I don't remember if they said why.
back in g/s/c days (the last time i ever bothered battling), if a marowak had an attack over 256 along with thick club and a swords dance passed to it, it would be pretty much worthless. i think the best dv for a marowak to have in attack was 13. you also didnt want to pass more than one swords dance to a marowak with a thick club and an attack of over 256.

EDIT: the reasoning was that all those boosts would loop the marowak's attack past 1024, which was the highest value the game could store for a stat. the stats would actually go over 999, but the game rounded anything over that down to 999 for use in the damage formula.

Last edited:
Back