Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

History of the Pokémon Trading Card Game and Organized Play - Part 1

PokePop

Administrator
Staff member
History & Timeline of the Pokémon Trading Card Game and Pokémon Organized Play - Part 1

A lot of this information is scattered around in various sources. Here we present all of the milestones and dates of interest in the history and development of the Pokemon Trading Card Game in one place, for your reference and enjoyment. The computer games, movies, and anime will be touched upon, but since the focus of the PokéGym is the TCG, such is the focus of this timeline. Similarly, our focus is the US game as produced formerly by Wizards of the Coast and currently by Pokémon USA Inc. Thanks to MysteriousTrainer for compiling the bulk of this timeline. Used with permission.

[gal=1795]Satoshi Tajiri[/gal]
  • Satoshi Tajiri starts Game Freak, a fanzine about video games. It initially was handwritten and stapled together. It covered game techniques and gave secret tips for games like Donkey Kong. Among the contributors was Ken Sugimori.
1990 Satoshi Tajiri is inspired by the communications capability of Game Boy's cable and starts work on Pokémon.

• February 27 - Nintendo releases Pokémon Red and Green for Game Boy in Japan.
  • October 20 - Game Freak and Nintendo release the starter deck and Base Set for the Japanese Pocket Mosters Trading Card Game.

displayimage.php
    displayimage.php
    displayimage.php
  • March 5 - Jungle set is released in Japan.
  • June 5 - Fossil set released in Japan.
  • November 21 - Team Rocket set released in Japan.
  • March - Vending Series 1 (Blue) released in Japan.
  • April 26 - Brock and Misty decks released in Japan. Introduction of "Gym Leader" cards.
  • June - Vending Series 2 (Red) released in Japan.
  • July 25 - Lt. Surge and Erika Gym Leader decks released.
  • October 23 - Gym Leader 1 packs released in Japan.
  • November - Vending Series 3 (Green) released in Japan.
August 1998 [gal=1794]ToPikachu[/gal]
  • Nintendo lauches Pokémon in the United States. They manage to get Topeka Kansas to rename itself "Topikachu" for August 27th. They hold a Pokémon party that includes a helicoptor airdrop of plush Pokémon dolls.
  • KFC runs the first fast food promotion with Pokémon. In addtion to Kids' Meals toys, four plush "beanies" are also available: Dratini, Zubat, Seel, and Vulpix.
September 1998
  • The Pokémon anime premieres on September 7th in syndication and quickly becomes the top rated kids' cartoon show.
  • Pokémon Red & Blue for Gameboy is introduced to America.
December 1998[gal=1788]Starter Set[/gal]
  • Wizards of the Coast under license by Nintendo of America starts producing the Pokémon Trading Card Game for the worldwide market outside of Japan.
  • 2-Player starter set released in stores.
Coming up in Part 2: The pump is primed and here comes the gusher!

Here are some of the data sources you can check out yourself:Edit: Hot Update!!!!
I've just been able to confirm the following! The Pokemon Demo Deck predates the release of the regular Base Set Packs and so is older than 1st Edition Base Set cards!
B. Brokaw said:
010899 - Starter Decks Widely Available
Most retailers and TCG dealers have stock for the starter decks (as opposed to the demo decks published in 1998). Very few boosters have hit the market.
[gal=1800]Demo Pack[/gal]

Last edited:
Wow, its good to see some real pokefans researce the history of this game. When an where was the first ever pokemon drawn or thought up of I wonder, and what was it? Thanks very much, I can't wait for part two!

Back when everything was so simple....

None of this Holon, EX, Team Magma, Castform etc

It was also back before they came out with all these weird types (a lightining/steel Metagross? Come on.). Also, Colorless had Psychic resistance, which was very nice and has sadly disappeared since.

O man I hated those days. SER the opponent to death and use Lass and win. Can't wait for part 2.

I always laugh when people say "I've been playing for 10 years!"

Still got our KFC beanies. Wish I'd bought more !

I've wanted to see this for a long time. I'm really glad your taking the time to do it! You will include PokeGym's history along with this won't you. It is an integral part of Pokemon's history!

...and I was (one of the few) parents who recognized that this was not "just another kid's fad". May it continue for a long, long time!!

Pokemon made it's home on Fox Kids (5 or 6 am, right after Sailor Moon) for awhile before moving over to the WB.

I bet the market researchers over at Fox are still kickin' themselves over that one....

What a great idea! Let's all us "old timers" who've been around forever remember when it all began, and helps the "new kids on the block" to see where it all came from! When we all first started playing, my boys were barely 9 and 11 and I was... well, no need to scare people with that info... but now they're both in 15+, 1 is judging, I'm now privileged to be a PTO, Pokemon has taken us from coast to coast, (and we're in the Midwest) from the days of the East Coast Super Trainer Showdown to Worlds at Seattle, back and forth 20 miles to our League and weekly Tourneys for every weekend for 6 years now... Pokemon has been a wonderful thing for our lives, bringing me and my boys closer together than ever! Long live Pokemon! And I really look forward to the rest of the Timeline! A great trip down memory lane! Thanks for doing this for us PokePop!

:clap:

Last edited:
man,i remember those days,i used to play like stall chansey or somthin back then.it was so simple then,like two or three sets.nothing banned.brings back memories of when i was in the "little kids section'was what my old tourny called it(i was 5 or 6,but ok at the game for that age)we should have like a week where all the league/tourny's play as if it WAS jst coming out.like base-fossil or somthing.that would be a little better than unlimited because non of the new cards could be used.(and we wouldn't have these stupid new start rules :clap: )

anyway,thanks for this timeline pokepop

Hot update to 1998 News. The Demo Deck is from 1998, not 1999. It predates the general release per a news item from Brian Brokaw on the original PokeGym during the first days of 1999!

Back