Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hit of Hydro

Status
Not open for further replies.
well this deck has only lost once and that was with both pidgeot in my prizes and that was just a fun match against a magma deck.......

3 squirtle
1 tortle
3 blastex
2 pidgey
1 pidgeotto
2 pidgeot
2 feebas
2 milotic
2 Aq Walrein
3 sparce
-21-

16 water
-16-

3 stevens
3 por
3 celio's
2 brineys
2 archie
4 candy
1 switch
2 vs seeker
2 mt moon
1 HPS
-23-

so far this deck is 8-0 in tourneys, just curious if anyone has any ideas

Why do you play TA Walrein and not something like Magneton? I like the Pidgeot line though, lol. I'd add a Sparce if I were you though.

With on 16 Energies in the deck, I would say add Magneton just in case. If someone takes out one of your Pokemon with a good amount of Energies, that doesn't really help Blastoise that much. Thats the only way right now to get Energies back, try out Magneton. :)

i've been thinking about magneton, but there are a few problems......

1- Mt moon is extremely popular, so i'd have to take my own out and play other counter gyms
2- i'd have to take out milotic, which just isn't an option, because i would have no healing whatsoever....
3- fighting is too strong to really be playing electric

I play walrein because it is just THAT GOOD..... it helps defend against any electric that could pop up, picks gengar apart, and it's the only one that can do more than 80 damage in one turn......

the thing about 16 nrg, well my main attacker is walrein, so if it gets knocked out, usually there's no nrg attached to it anyways.......

any other suggestions?

Bigpoppabeatdown said:
3- fighting is too strong to really be playing electric

Well, that point doesn't really count, since TA Walrein is weak to fighting, too. In fact, it's even worse off, since Ancient Tomb doesn't get rid of weakness on TA Walrein: it's an owner's pokemon.

Aside from this fact, I like the idea. I myself played something similar, but I didn't use Pidgeot. Instead, I added a lot more trainer power. One thing Pidgeot adds to this deck is the ability to find water energy without relying solely on trainer power. In my version, I just boost the water energy count and hope I draw it, but Pidgeot is a sure-fire way to get a water energy when you need it.

Another strong point in your deck is the damage it can do when running at full speed. Having played a variant extremely similar to this before, I should know that this is by far the most damaging Blastoise variant when up to full speed. Magneton and Electrode ex and whatever else you would want to play with it simply do not come close. However, other variants are faster than this, even with the addition of Pidgeot.

So what I would suggest you do to modify your original list is the following:
Bigpoppabeatdown said:
3 squirtle
1 tortle
3 blastex
2 pidgey
1 pidgeotto
2 pidgeot
2 feebas
2 milotic
2 Aq Walrein
3 sparce
-21-

16 water
-16-

3 stevens
3 por
3 celio's
2 brineys
2 archie
4 candy
1 switch
2 vs seeker
2 mt moon
1 HPS
-23-

1) Add a Sparce. I know you might not think four is necessary, but you want the highest possible chance of starting with a pokemon that IS NOT FEEBAS! This is a total screwover most of the time, and this deck simply doesn't have the speed to recover from a Feebas setup with a tails flip on the evolution, or maybe even a heads.

2) 3 POR? Forget about it! Shuffling your hand into your deck is definitely an important part of gameplay, but early on I think a Steven's Advice or Celio's Network in the right place could be more of a devastation to your opponent. Drop 1 POR.

3) I'd drop the HPS, I don't know about you. Blastoise ex and TA Walrein already have huge retreat costs, and 1 lousy water energy isn't going to save you a lot. HPS is preferable with 1 or 2 retreat costs pokemon, virtually getting rid of their retreat cost. Drop it.

4) In place of the HPS, you have a choice. You could add one of the following trainer cards to your arsenal:
-Another VS Seeker
-Another Mr. Briney's Compassion
-Another Steven's Advice
-Another Switch

I think another VS Seeker is the best option, because Pidgeot can easily fetch a Briney, use it, then next turn fetch a VS Seeker and use the Briney over, or draw some cards, the choice is up to you. Switch is always cool to get Stoise out of the active spot, and 4 Steven's Advice never hurt anybody, really.

The new list would look a bit like a-this:
3 squirtle
1 tortle
3 blastex
2 pidgey
1 pidgeotto
2 pidgeot
2 feebas
2 milotic
2 Aq Walrein
4 sparce
-22-

16 water
-16-

3 stevens
2 por
3 celio's
2 brineys
2 archie
4 candy
1 switch
2 vs seeker
2 mt moon
1 Trainer card of your choice (or energy or pokemon, really)
-22-

Something like that. The deck was sound to begin with, but needed a bit of tweaking. Most of the fixes I made weren't glaring errors, just personal opinion matters and the like. None of my corrections were absolutely necessary, it was pretty good already.

~Wooper

woop, i like those ideas, but let me explain a few things....

the 3 por are in there because i've had both walreins in my hand at the same time........ it really sucks since i can't archie them out......... so por is the only way that i can get them back in, and with as fast as this deck is, i get huge hands, so steven's is useless when trying to get more energy.... so it does have it's advantages in this deck....... if i did drop, i'd only drop 1, and that will take more convincing.....

and the HPS is just an aide for my retreats........ i'm actually thinking of dropping it for an island cave, but i gotta have 3 gyms in the deck because desert ruins hurts me too badly..........

i agree that 4 sparce is nice to have, but i'm still not sure that taking out a POR is the best way to do it....... and starting with a feebas isn't really that bad....... i have the draw power to get a milotic, or even better, a turn 1-2 pidgeot so i can start searching quickly.......

on average, about 70-80% of my matches has a pidgeot by turn 2.......

the one thing that puzzles me about this deck is that almost every match i mulligan once, then get like 2-3 basics the next time.............boggles my mind, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back