Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hopefully the last rainbow energy question

QWERT392001

Does rainbow energy count as "every type of energy"? For example could I use rainbow energy as a full heal energy card or a gust energy? Or does it provide just the type of energy without the extra effects that some energy cards use?

QWERT392001 said:
Does rainbow energy count as "every type of energy"? For example could I use rainbow energy as a full heal energy card or a gust energy? Or does it provide just the type of energy without the extra effects that some energy cards use?
I think you'll find that's kinda asked in the other Rainbow and DRE post here..

http://www.pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=8097

Johhny Newcomer "So they provide Full Heal Energy? And DCE? And Warp Energy?"

*sigh* Wonder if it impacts any rulings......

In regards to Pokemon, Full Heal Energy isn't a "type" of energy. Full Heal provides Colorless Energy, and Colorless is a "type" of energy.

All extra effects come from the TEXT on a card. If the text don't say it, the card don't do it. It provides all colors. Anything else (extra damage, gust effect, protection, etc) is an effect that requires text to say that a card does it.

Yah, what 'Pop said about the text and the effects should be enough to explain it.

A little be more about energy TYPE, as I understand it. Full Heal, etc. are not TYPEs of energy, technically. A TYPE of energy comes from a Pokemon TYPE, which in the TCG are Darkness, Metal, Fire, Water, Grass, Lighting, Fighting, Psychic and, uh, Colorless (as in 'Colorless Weakness', e.g. Rayquaza EX, one of the Flygons, etc.).

Full Heal is the NAME of a special energy card, it is not a TYPE of energy.

Darkness & Metal are NOT basic energy TYPEs, as we learned in the Neo Genesis FAQ. My thought is that Colorless is not a basic energy TYPE, either, though I don't have a reference. Fire, Water, Grass, Lighting, Fighting & Psychic ARE basic energy TYPEs.

Interestingly, there are two long-conflictng rulings on this in the compendium:

Q. Darkness and Metal will be basic energy types, and yet not basic energy cards? Is that what you're saying?
A. Yup. They are types of energy (like colorless or grass and fire are) but their energy cards are non-basic cards with extra abilities like Full Heal or Potion energies. (Nov 9, 2000 WotC Chat, Q675)

Q. Are the two new Energy types, Darkness and Metal, considered basic Energy cards?
A. No. Darkness and Metal Energy cards are non-basic Energy types, as they have additional effects, like Potion Energy or Full Heal Energy. Any Energy card that provides more than just one type of basic Energy is considered non-basic Energy. (Neo Genesis FAQ, WotC Website)

Apparently the second ruling is now the correct one.

Back