Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How does Blastoise/Keldeo beat Darkrai/Hydreigon?

Chompy

There are a few common issues I seem to run into.

1) Sigilyph: The fact that you have to attach all 4 energies to Blastoise is a pain to deal with, just to knock out Sigylph and then have Hydreigon blow you in the face from a Dragonblast... Have you guys dealt with that issue? If so, how?

2) Max Potion: God I hate that card so much, especially against Hydreigon/Klinkklang decks in general. You can't knock anything out and they will strike you back with full force, leaving you with nothing to respond back to.

If anyone has any ideas on how to take on the Darkrai/Hydreigon deck, that would be awesome.

For sigilyph, use the non-ex Keldeo. It's less resource-heavy than using blastoise, and it forces them to catcher to have a shot at getting the hydreigon KO.

As for max potion, you'll have to take strategic OHKOs or simply settle for outlasting their attacks.

For sigilyph, use the non-ex Keldeo. It's less resource-heavy than using blastoise, and it forces them to catcher to have a shot at getting the hydreigon KO.

As for max potion, you'll have to take strategic OHKOs or simply settle for outlasting their attacks.

Do you think this deck should run 4 Super Scoop Ups to tie the match around? I have teched in Kyurem, so I can Glaciate the whole board, giving me less energies to attach to my Keldeo ex.

What does the non Keldeo do?

Non-ex keldeo does 90 for three waters, allowing you to dictate a favorable prize exchange with landurus EX and also one-shot siggy for only one prize taken in retaliation.

I don't like SSU or kyurem in the deck but that's just me. Just Keldeo, Keldeo EX, mewtwo, and Blastoise.

Honestly, the match goes to Hydreigon/Darkrai all day long. You have to really out speed them and play the right cards at the right time. I see people teching in DCE so they can kill Sableye turn 2 which does help.

i play darkrai/hydregion myself and the way keldo/blastoise can win is by OHKO on hydregion. personaly i dont think you need a tech to deal with this deck. ignore darkrai ex while a hydregion/denio is out unless you can one shot it or you think they will not get a max on their next turn and take the 2HKO. while i do think that darkrai/hydregion is favorable (im happy to hit keldo/blastoise over many things) i dont think it is hard for keldo/blastoise to win if they play the deck right.

The key to the match is consistency. Darkrai/Hydreigon has Sableye, which aids consistency immeasurably. Blastoise/Keldeo has to be built correctly to have comparable consistency (Tropical Beach helps). From there, SSUs are your Max Potions. They require flips, so obviously aren't as good, but you have unlimited damage output, which Darkrai/Hydreigon doesn't to the same extent. I also like Potion if you think you're going to see a lot of Darkrai/Hydreigon. It wipes out the 30 snipe to Keldeo/Mewtwo, which prevents Hydreigon from taking them out. Darkrai/Hydreigon probably has a slight advantage in this match because of consistency/no flips, but it's still very winnable. As fluttercraft said, take out Hydreigon (and Klinklang in that match), and the game shifts in your favor.

the matchup is close to even. It really depends on who sets up first and what counters are put into each deck. I like SSU in Keldeo for a number of reasons: prize denial by removing damage, picking up energies to put back down, getting something off the board that would be easy prizes. The flip is well worth it in the deck imo. I would build the deck to be consistent and practice my matchups. One shotting their pokemon is your best bet and for sigilyph I like the regular Keldeo as well.

the matchup is close to even. It really depends on who sets up first and what counters are put into each deck. I like SSU in Keldeo for a number of reasons: prize denial by removing damage, picking up energies to put back down, getting something off the board that would be easy prizes. The flip is well worth it in the deck imo. I would build the deck to be consistent and practice my matchups. One shotting their pokemon is your best bet and for sigilyph I like the regular Keldeo as well.

ive found blastoise to be just as effective, at my club this deck is ran with no techs whatsoever. generally a sigilyph will not be dropped till mid game, if you can keep hydregion down then you have 3 turns to get a blastoise prepped to take down sigliph. if hydregion is still up then the situation is a little different, but sigilyph shouldnt be OHKOing keldo or blastoise anyway. another reason to play SSU. they put up sigilyph and hit you for 90-100 (probbably). use SSU, if its successful, put up blastoise and attach your energies to it and attack.

as to hydregion OHKOing blastoise- you should always have atleast 2 in play at anytime anyway, and you should be koing denios and hydregions with keldeo as they are dropped.

ive found blastoise to be just as effective, at my club this deck is ran with no techs whatsoever. generally a sigilyph will not be dropped till mid game, if you can keep hydregion down then you have 3 turns to get a blastoise prepped to take down sigliph. if hydregion is still up then the situation is a little different, but sigilyph shouldnt be OHKOing keldo or blastoise anyway. another reason to play SSU. they put up sigilyph and hit you for 90-100 (probbably). use SSU, if its successful, put up blastoise and attach your energies to it and attack.

as to hydregion OHKOing blastoise- you should always have atleast 2 in play at anytime anyway, and you should be koing denios and hydregions with keldeo as they are dropped.
It's not that easy, as they will be denying Squirtles as they are dropped as well. Hydreigon can also tech in Shaymin, which can sweep your entire deck after 2 prizes have been taken.

Okay, Darkrai/Hydriegon. There are the troubles in the deck that hurt you.

Sigilyph: Simple caking. Non-EX Keldeo gets the job done.

Max Potion: One-shot everything and bam, you're good to go.

Shaymin EX: This is what actually hurts you the most. It revenge kills your Keldeo EX. The way to kill it is Mewtwo EX unless your opponent has a set-up Mewtwo as well.

To answer your questions about SSU and Kyurem in Blastoise/Keldeo

I personally think SSU is the best healing option the deck has. If you run Gold Potion, you take up your Ace Spec card. If you run Max Potion, you discard all of your energy. Neither you want to do. SSU takes away all of the damage and does not use up your Ace Spec so you can run up to 4. All that's needed is 1 coin flip.

Kyurem is not really good in Blastoise/Keldeo because you waste 3 energy to do almost nothing good this format because of the high HP Pokemon.

Shaymin EX: This is what actually hurts you the most. It revenge kills your Keldeo EX. The way to kill it is Mewtwo EX unless your opponent has a set-up Mewtwo as well.

I personally think SSU is the best healing option the deck has. If you run Gold Potion, you take up your Ace Spec card. If you run Max Potion, you discard all of your energy. Neither you want to do. SSU takes away all of the damage and does not use up your Ace Spec so you can run up to 4. All that's needed is 1 coin flip.

Kyurem is not really good in Blastoise/Keldeo because you waste 3 energy to do almost nothing good this format because of the high HP Pokemon.

You one shot me I revenge kill you and you lose about 7 or 8 energy, you ponder what your next move is....

Do you guys think adding a 2nd Mewtwo would be a more viable choice over Kyurem in general? I know Kyurem would be a great tech against Empoleon variants and Rayeels, but I feel that Kyurem would be useless against Darkrai/Hydreigon in general.

Do you guys think adding a 2nd Mewtwo would be a more viable choice over Kyurem in general? I know Kyurem would be a great tech against Empoleon variants and Rayeels, but I feel that Kyurem would be useless against Darkrai/Hydreigon in general.

I played 3 Mewtwo in the list I used to win my CC's. Kyurem isn't a good play at all imo, unless your area is a bunch of Raticate, in which, I guess play the Kyurem.

To counter Sigilyph, I use Bouffalant (DRX). It helps KO Shaymin as well, which just makes it better.

Non EX Keldeo isn't worth running just for Sigilyph. If they have Eviolite, you still have to invest 5 energy, meaning if you die to night spear (which you probably will), you lose a significant portion of your energy. Same if you attack with Blastoise. Sigilyph is definitely a nuisance for Blastoise/Keldeo. And your argument against Max Potion is frankly ridiculous. In order to one shot everything, you need 7 energy (8 with Eviolite) on your Keldeo. This can only be accomplished once realistically due to the large amount of resources required. It also leaves you very vulnerable to Mewtwo. Hydreigon after a Darkrai snipe kills you, meaning you lose half your energy at that point. Shaymin EX typically comes out after you load a ton of energy on a Keldeo after an N, meaning it's very hard for a revenge kill with Mewtwo. That's why Shaymin is so deadly. An N to 3, maybe 4 cards means it's incredibly difficult to pull off a revenge kill with Mewtwo while Shaymin one shots everything in your deck. SSU is good in the deck, but against Hydreigon, their Max Potion is infinitely better. The flip will come back to bite you in a Keldeo and Darkrai war. Honestly, if Hydreigon doesn't just completely crap out, it has the advantage.

Against Darkrai variants, the best option is to run DCE. Turn 2 70 is really powerful, especially if you can prevent Sableye or Deinos from setting up.

I like to run 2 Landorus EX in my Keldeo Decks, because should a sigilyph come active, you can snipe around it. It also makes KOing Darkrai much easier.

Back