Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How Does Gengar Machamp Work

There really is no complicated strategy. They are both good against SP decks. Gengar can snipe any pokemon and punishes players for having lots of trainer, supporters and stadiums. Machamp can take out any unguarded SP pokemon helping Gengar with pokemon like Dialga G. They both counter weaknesses as Gengar is weak to dark, and Machamp is weak to dark.

It doesn't work... unless you want to call having to get stupidly lucky to win working, then I guess it "works".

It doesn't work... unless you want to call having to get stupidly lucky to win working, then I guess it "works".

If it doesn't work explain to me how it took Fort Wayne IN. CC today with great players and great decks being played.

Gengar: Used to snipe Poke-powered Pokemon. Level Down on the lv.X can also be abused here sometimes. Can also be a donker with Crobats.

Machamp: Is the secondary line and is used to donk. Also, Hurricane Punch can hit heavy if you're lucky. Rage isn't normally used. The level X is used as a backup heavy hitter with No Guard.

This deck needs Claydol and Calls like a fish needs water. Without Dol or Call Energy, this deck falls apart on itself easily as it loses consistency. I would say that it is an OK deck, but you'd be better off choosing something that doesn't fall apart on itself. In short, you need lots of luck and lots of skill to use this deck.

The point is the mess up your opponent's Unown G usage. Since both Gengar AND Machamp have problems with Unown G, your opponent has to choose very carefully where they put them since they're only limited to so many. It's sometimes difficult to play around both Gengar and Machamp if you only play 1 Unown G. But nowadays the deck runs Relicanth (SV), which is what was in the Gengar/Machamp deck that won Japan's Nationals. If your opponent happens to play a lot of Unown G's, Relicanth can start doing tons of damage anywhere for a single energy. The biggest weakness of the deck though is consistency because it runs two Stage 2 lines (Sometimes 3, several still play Nidoqueen for Gengar).

It definitely works, just getting a good build down is tough. Some lists run 24 - 28 Pokemon just to give you an idea of how bulky the Pokemon count is.

There's nothing lucky about GeChamp wiping the floor with SP. It has three different super effective attackers. It is MADE to beat SP. So, if a metagame has a lot of the good players using SP, GeChamp is a great play, and it winning isn't lucky.

It works by exploiting a lack of Unown G. If they use Unown G to protect pokemon from Gengar, they are vulnerable to Machamp'sTake out which auto knocks out basic pokemon. If they use too many Unown G/ Stadiums/Energy Gain, you can use Relicanth. The three combined serve as a huge anti-SP deck.

There's nothing lucky about GeChamp wiping the floor with SP. It has three different super effective attackers. It is MADE to beat SP. So, if a metagame has a lot of the good players using SP, GeChamp is a great play, and it winning isn't lucky.

It works by exploiting a lack of Unown G. If they use Unown G to protect pokemon from Gengar, they are vulnerable to Machamp'sTake out which auto knocks out basic pokemon. If they use too many Unown G/ Stadiums/Energy Gain, you can use Relicanth. The three combined serve as a huge anti-SP deck.

Agreed. Most players are not great SP players and will crumble in a situation where the have to play around all three (sometimes 5). They have to be very smart to get past Relicanth, Shadow Room, and Take Out (and a Poltergeist and a Take Out w/ Lv.X). Definitely a cool deck (I am biased after going 8-2 w/ it at Regionals lol.)

I'm biased because I had to experience its birth at FL states and lost to it in Swiss, and my partner lost to it in Finals.

It beats SP. It's a counter SP deck, though, so that's understandable. But to credit its beating SP to 'luck' is just denying the truth- that it is consistent in beating SP because it is designed to.

If it doesn't work explain to me how it took Fort Wayne IN. CC today with great players and great decks being played.

I'm not agree with DarkPika and saying the deck is luck based, becuase I really don't think it it.

But it winning 1 cities does not instantly make it good or bad.

Yes it does. However people need to make the decision - Unown G the Claydol and get wiped up front? Or Unown G up front and get wiped on the bench? The deck does not win because it is particularly good at countering the metagame, it is just a deck which creates a tough position which the opponent is put into, and under pressure may result in misplays and losses.

GeChamp doesn't really have a set strategy as such. GeChamp was made to counter SP and forces your opponent to think out their moves very carefully and make awkward decisions. The guys from Florida (who are the pioneers of GeChamp) who did the best with GeChamp probably have some complex, in-depth strategy to GeChamp but to the rest of us, GeChamp is a solid deck that is a pain to both play against and run successfully. Another thing to note is that building a GeChamp deck is no mean task and it takes a skillful deck-builder to make a tight build.

I'm biased because I had to experience its birth at FL states and lost to it in Swiss, and my partner lost to it in Finals.

It beats SP. It's a counter SP deck, though, so that's understandable. But to credit its beating SP to 'luck' is just denying the truth- that it is consistent in beating SP because it is designed to.

Ryan, I was never trying to argue that it didn't beat SP. I know that it's probably the most effective deck out there for beating SP. I was saying everything EXCLUDING SP (or the random AMU) is highly luck based.

to answer the question
it doesn't :D

it really doesn't. it was built to counter SP's and yet most good SP players can easily play around their moves. it's also incredibly bad against anything else unless you use loaded dice.

^Do you want to say how they play around their moves? They have to decide on attaching unown G's to your bench or as your active. Whichever they choose it gives the gechamp player many options for cheap prizes. You can attach 1 unown G to the active and 1 to Claydol/uxie. Relicanth can then snipe whatever it wants for 60 excluding any e-gains or stadiums.

So, the use of gengar to kill support like claydol, and then getting about 2 prizes on uxies and azelfs, plus fainting spell flips, plus the occasional machamp take out, plus the lucky hurricane flips, plus machamp x, plus rage, means you can't net 6 prizes befor you opponent?
Please explain Darth Pika.

GeChamp is a lot of coin flips, lucky draws, and donks - as my local judge says...

Player forgot his deck for Cities.
Player recently took apart his Gengar deck.
Player recently took apart his Machamp deck.
Player takes both of his half decks
*Shuffle shuffle*
"Let's play Pokémon!"

Back