Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How Many Good Decks Are There Anyway? (listing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGengar

UPDATE: Links for Flariados and Zzzap (Raichu/Eggs) lists.

Since Gym Challenge, I have attempted to "catalogue" the better and/or more popular decks. Now, Nationals have come and gone, and the "top decks" for the U.S. have become apparent, including the National Champion "rogue" deck, Zzzap! Even so, I think it's important to keep available a more complete reference, along with links.
Please feel free to mention any particular Deck, whether Archetype or Rogue, and I'll list it if it seems like a good idea. The listing is not in order of strength or preference, just random.
I'll continue to keep this list for as long as they'll let me, or vice versa :lol:

1. Mew-Trick (of course).. aka Mewtric and Mewtrick, but I like the hyphen better. Mew EX LM & Manectric EX. Mew powers up with Electrike, attacks T2 using Manectric EX attacks. Techs vary.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34701
2. LBS aka BLS. Blastoise EX, Lugia EX, Steelix EX. Blastoise rains down on Steelix and Lugia, Holon Electrode substitutes down, and both can hit for big power. Blissey EX is sometimes included to heal. Search includes Pidgeot, Jirachi, Porygon 2. Sometimes called "Binder" because it looks like a little bit of everything.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30892
3. Medicham-EX. There seems to be 4 types. Medicham/Jirachi, Espycham (w. Espeon EX), Powdacham (w. Espeon and Umbreon EX), and Lone Monk (w. Houndoom UF). Medicham EX shuts down Poke-Powers and spreads damage with Pure Power.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28201
4. Queendom.. aka Queen. Nidoqueen, Pidgeot, Milotic. Great archetype has been adapted for other big hitters like Machamp. Everything is here: Disrupt, Power, Search, Heal. Probably sprang from the clunkier Monarchy (aka Royalty). Nice tech: Dark Hypno.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24212
5. Flariados.. aka Fox and Spider. Flareon EX and Ariados UF with Full Flame, or Battle Frontier. Flareon applies 2 conditions, Ariados hits for 70+ with 1 Energy, Full Flame adds possibly more damage.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36379
6. Rock-Lock. Dark Ampharos, Dark Tyranitar R19 and R20, ATM Rock are the key players. Sand-Damage punishes Basics on the Bench, Amphy punishes Evolution, Spinning Tail does more damage, drop the Rock.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28485
7. ZRE. Electrode EX, Zapdos EX, Rayquaza EX, with Magmar R, and Magcargo Smooth Over. Build up discard pile with Energy, blow up Electrode, distribute Energy, use Pow! to clean house.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26676
8. SMP. Scizor EX, Metagross DX, Pidgeot. Big hits, good retrieval, and Search. http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25333
9. Draggytrode. Dark Dragonite, Dark Electrode, Rocket's Sneasel EX. Trode finds the Dark Energy from the deck, Dark Dragonite distributes it, Rocket's Sneasel grabs Pokemon from opponent's Bench.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23536
10. Liability. There are a few versions, the most famous being Acid Liability (Victreebel Leaf, Weezing DX). Then, Burning Liability w. Typhlosion UF. Poison Liability w. Dark Crobat. Newest is Mew-bility, my own invention. Other variations, like Thunder Liability or Claw Liability, exist. Destroy Weezing to bring Def Pokemon down to 10HP, use Poison or Poke-Bodies to finish the job mid-turn. Desert Ruins vs. EX.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26765
11. Metanite. Dragonite d, Metagross d. Magcargo Smooth over is added. Crush and Burn, retrieve Energy, repeat.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30123
12. Dark Slowking. Discards Tools and Rocket's Secret Machines (RSM) to do damage, so the deck is centered around this mostly. Tech cards include Slowking UF. Variants include my own Tool Time! deck using Primeape to discard Tools and Tech Machines.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28053
13. Ludicargo. Ludicolo DX10 and Magcargo Smooth Over. Combination takes advantage of search while hitting with Circular Steps. Tech includes big hitters like Lanturn, Rhydon, and others.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23802&page=3
14. Mercury. Utilizes Metal Energy and its manipulation. Key cards are generally Starmie DS15, Gardevoir DS. Many variations possible. Starmie gets the Metal from the deck, Gardevoir distributes it. Registeel EX HL is a frequent Tech.
15. Lunasol. Combination shuts down Colorless powers such as Pidgeot, Persian, Porygon, and Fire powers such as Magcargo, Aerodactyl, etc. Power obtained in swarming. Many techs.
16. JynxFett..aka HighJynx. Jynx UF provides protection with its Poke-Body, while spreading damage, and T1 Disruption. Wobbuffet rides the Bench to keep Defending Pokemon in position, and can hit for damage also.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33051
17. Poli-stall. Politoed EX is built on the Bench, surrounded by Fossils which provide no Prize when KO'd. When powered, Politoed has 3 good attacks. Poliwrath is used also. Dunsparce is the general Disrupt starter.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33923
18. Metro. A popular deck employing Metagross DS and Electrode EX. Crush and Burn, with lots of Disruption.
19. Hariyama EX. T2 Control of Stadiums.
20. Vileplume EX. T2 Control of Trainers.
21. Feraligatr EX. T2 Control of non-EX Poke-Powers and Poke-Bodies.
22. Arcanine EX. Two strategies known. First is similar to Machamp (new) - see below #31. Huntail-Delcatty combo moves React Energy to Arcanine to get consecutive turns of 100 damage. When Reacts run out, Fire Energy can be used. The other known strat is Arcanine EX with Disruption Tech such as Lunasol.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33604
23. Gengar. Gengar spreads damage using React Energy and more so when it is KO'd. Haunter can flip for a devolution and ATM Rock is used also, in this "new-age" Rock-Lock.
24. Flygon EX aka Flygod. Strategy is to do 100 damage turn after turn. Boost Energy, Holon's Electrode, and multiple Flygons help reach this goal.
25. PowBlock..I think this is also called Tyranibomb. Dark Tyranitar, Electrode EX. Electrode EX feeds energy to a hungry dinosaur, after KO'ing itself (lights out). The Pow! seems to be in keeping your opponent's Active Pokemon stationary while you use Spinning Tail. Much disruption and anxiety.
26. Dustlock.. aka Muk-stock (ok, I made that up). Dustox EX and Muk. Muk shuts down Poke-Powers early. Dustox can get up to speed quickly. Dustox Safeguard stops EX Pokemon, Silver Wind is deadly.
27. Zap-turn-Dos. Recharge Electrike or Voltorb, Zapdos EX, and support. T2 Zapdos EX doing 70 damage.
28. Sallygross. Salamence, Metagross DX. Salamence snipes and slams. Loss of energy is re-pasted by Metagross' Poke-Power. Dragon resistance. "Firestarter"- type deck, which seems to be a variant of Metanite (or vice versa). This deck is deadly in the right hands.
29. Venucenter.. aka Venublissey. Venusaur, Blissey EX. Stall deck. Big 150 and 160HP monsters take damage, Blissey cleans it away. Venusaur moves the Green Energy to safe haven beforehand. Slow game still has Disruption & power. How popular?
30. Machamp (new). React Energy is the center of the deck. Huntail LM and Delcatty LM are used to find and move the React. Machamp, the recipient, can then hit for 60, 80, 100 or more. Machamp HL is anti-EX tech. I've seen this deck.
31. Eeveelution. Rainbow deck, many variations. T1 strategy with Eevee Poke-Power. I've seen this deck a few times, always with a different theme.
32. Meganium EX/Steelix EX. Strategy appears to be similar to LBS, but placement of Energy heals here rather than causing damage as with Blastoise EX. I recall now that I actually played against this deck once. Slower deck pays big dividends later in game.
33. Banette EX. Play supporters to increase power later, similar to the not-so-famous deck I once made called Marowax. It's a swarming in the discard pile. 90HP Banette not subject to Desert Ruins. Disruptors added to stall opponent until proper time. Success and popularity growing.
34. Mynx...aka Mew-Lock. Mew, Jynx, Wobbuffet LM, Unown E, Pow!, Minun. Works the Jynxfett strategy but adds now Unown E through Mew for a lock. Minun for retrieval of Pow! (again through Mew). Won GC in Memphis. Has become popular with variations.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35332&highlight=unown
35. Zzzap!...aka National Champion deck. Raichu HP, Exeggutor HP, Holon's Castform. Raichu softens up Pokemon which have Poke-Bodies or Poke-Powers, then can do 90 (or 80 with DRE) for a 2 (Metal)-Energy discard. Exeggutor employs a similar device as Nidoqueen (though not as powerful) and is also Fighting type. Holon's Castform is uniquely-suited here as a starter. National Champion deck uses Lati-Lock, Cursed Stone for max punishment. The following decklist is pretty close.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37890&highlight=artaq
36. Flygon d/Pidgeot d aka Umbreon777 Deck. Took 2nd place at GenCon 2006. Decklist and strategy forthcoming. See report. http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?p=643169#post643169

Honorable Mention

1. BQA. Blastoise EX, Quagsire, Articuno EX. Blastoise rains down on Wooper or Quagsire, which take no damage. Quagsire hits hard and removes Special Conditions from itself. Articuno swoops in unexpectedly.
2. Paraflora. Parasect Leaf and Sunflora UF. Parasect drops Grass Energy all over the place, and Sunflora uses photosynthesis to hit big. No big news on this, so placed here.
3. Full Flame. Centers around Stadium use and Burn condition, which is multiplied x 2 here. Magby is a frequent (fire)starter. Placed here because it is more of a strategy (albeit widespread) than a deck per se. I'm willing to move it to the main list if you can convince me.
4. Tyranicargo. Magcargo DX topdecks a Basic Energy and Tyranitar DS places that Energy on a Pokemon. I consider this to be a variant of Ludicargo (topdeck and draw), although neither T-Tar nor Cargo are designed to be the main attacker (as with Ludicolo in Ludicargo). Placed here because it is more of a Search Engine than a deck. If you add in Steelix, then it appears to be a variant of Meganium/Steelix (which I am still, BTW, affectionately calling Steel Forest, although not officially so).

The Graveyard (sorry)

1. Healix. Dark Steelix utilizing both Metal and Dark Energy, with Heal Energy. R.I.P. Note: am willing to move it to main list if someone will convince me.
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23705

All mistakes were the work of somebody else, so don't blame me :lol:

Feel free to correct any strategy errors, fill in the blanks, add deck ideas (popular only please), etc. I will update as I can.

Tom

Last edited:
Uhm... Were are the Scrambled Eggs? Please list it :tongue: It's really good actually ^^ (Magmar TR, Exeggutor FRLG, Electrode ex)

The Mercury strategy is a bit off. Registeel ex HL is frequently included, but in most cases, it's only a tech line, and not the main attacker. That's Gardevoir DS.

Actually, to be honest, it's kind of hard to explain exactly what strategy Mercury has, since I designed it to be played as a "formless" deck, which can adapt to different situations. Against some decks, it simply uses a Gardevoir DS tank, with 4 Metal, a Holon WP, a Psychic and a Water attached, and a Gardevoir EM on the bench. Against others, it's a grand shell game of Gardevoir DS's using Holon WP, with Metal Energies distributed amongst many Pokémon, rather than being stacked on one.

It might be worth mentioning the 1-1 Milotic tech that a number of Mercury builds are starting to include, in any case. Yet to be seen if it'll have the same kind of impact as Milotic did for Queendom, but it's certainly worth watching.

good work.

here's a few more:

Machamp+pidgeot+miltoic+jirachi:
Set up behind a wall of jirachi while you put reacts on machamp, then send it in and KO poke after poke. briney and miltoic gives 2 full heal.
2 react => 100 damage.
HL machamp is there for big EXs ant T2 (1 double => 60 damage)
it's different from nidoqueen in many things.

Salagross: metagross DX recyle metal energies discarded by salamance and offers a different type.

Venublissey /venucenter
Blissey heals every pokemon discarding energies.
Venusaur EX moves em around so everyone is healed without discarding.
that +150 and 160 hp makes the KO very hard for opponent

I doubt we will see any Mercury, Vileplume, Feraligatr, BQA (expect you), or Zap-turn-dos in our area Tom.

This thread, on the International metagame, may be of use

Eeveelutions looks like an omission. Metro is pretty simple - chuck energy away and then blow up Electrode EX, pile it all back on and take charge of the field. Here's a report from someone playing it if you're interested.

Nice job.
MG

I would selfishly add Banette ex to the list. After a few turns, you can do 90 + Shady Move = 100 damage for only PC. Girafarig + LunaRock shut down Jirachi/Pidgeot/Magcargo. Works for me!

Mercury has no real set strategy, which is why it can be so good. you cannot shut down a deck with a strat that changes. i try to tank up a gardivior, but if i realize they are playing psychic, im going with my registeel EX for the hits. if its a fire deck, ill discard the registeel ex, whatever the game requires me to do, mercury can fulfull 99% of the time(greatest threat=steelix ex, as it can usually KO any pokemon in the deck unless it has metal energy on it.)

my 2 cents

Machamp needs to be placed in there as well, with the 1-1 line for milotic. straight beatdown turn 4 or so.

Archaic: Thanks for the insight into Mercury. I've seen your posts before and I know you're very much into it. I've not mentioned Milotic as a tech since it is not part of Mercury strategy per se and also Gardevoir Em seems to be the more logical healer, but I have amended the part about Registeel EX. Thank you!

Gatsu: Thanks for the compliment :) I've entered Sallygross and Venucenter, since I've seen these mentioned here and there, and Machamp in the form you see.

Matt: Thank you for the metagame insight! Actually, Paarth played BQA both at States and Regionals. He did much better at States. I saw a Feraligatr, I think, but I don't think it did well. And 1 person mentioned bringing back Zap-turn-dos for a surprise visit!

MG: Thank you for the link. According to it, the only thing I missed was Meganium/Steelix, which has been getting some Gym circulation lately also, I think. I've updated for that, though I don't know the strategy. Very interesting that Gengar was a big hit!

Mewchou: I added Banette EX since I've seen it on some winning lists. Thank you for the insight!

Myn_donos: Thanks for additional input into Mercury. As to Machamp, I feel that Machamp with Milotic is simply a variant of Nidoqueen, but I have included the React Energy Machamp I've seen.

Last edited:
Cool idea!

T2 Drk Steelix/Healix - set up a steelix as a tank with Metal and Dark, Heal energy to heal.

Paraflora - Parasect fills bench with energy, Sunflora does 100+ damage lol!

Monarchy - Set up Queen and King to help each other with thier 2 bodies.

Thank you, Kempley, for the compliment. It IS a pretty cool idea, and I'm learning more just by doing it. :)

About Healix, I have heard over and over how it is no longer powerful enough or viable enough (or whatever) to make top seeds. Also, I didn't see it listed as a top 4 finisher in your international 15+ metagame post. But, I will make an R.I.P. notation above anyway.

About Paraflora, I've never seen it myself, but have always heard about it. Since it didn't place well, and it's not a hot topic, I think maybe just "Honorable Mention."

About Monarchy, I see that it did place 4th one time on your list, but Queendom placed 6 times. I look at Queen as a distillation of Monarchy (or Royalty), so I'll put that notation under Queen.

Thanks for the dibs!

KingGengar said:
Thank you, Kempley, for the compliment. It IS a pretty cool idea, and I'm learning more just by doing it. :)

About Healix, I have heard over and over how it is no longer powerful enough or viable enough (or whatever) to make top seeds. Also, I didn't see it listed as a top 4 finisher in your international 15+ metagame post. But, I will make an R.I.P. notation above anyway.

About Paraflora, I've never seen it myself, but have always heard about it. Since it didn't place well, and it's not a hot topic, I think maybe just "Honorable Mention."

About Monarchy, I see that it did place 4th one time on your list, but Queendom placed 6 times. I look at Queen as a distillation of Monarchy (or Royalty), so I'll put that notation under Queen.

Thanks for the dibs!

lol sure, I created Paraflora as a fun deck late last year, to beat a Queend metagame and like 10 players in the US ended up playing it with some success (mostly in the younger age groups). I played it at 2 tourneys and its OK, I only stopped playing it as it was an autoloss to SMP, but thats nearly dead so I wrekon it could make a comback:tongue:

I don't see T1 Muk, or Babies BTW

This is a good idea and shows how diverse our metagame is.

Gatsu said:
good work.

here's a few more:

Set up behind a wall of jirachi while you put reacts on machamp, then send it in and KO poke after poke. briney and miltoic gives 2 full heal.
2 react => 100 damage.

Yes MAchamp is a must up there, i would place it 5-8th placeon there defininteally better than ZRE

Pokekid said:
Gatsu said:
good work.

here's a few more:

2 react => 100 damage.

Yes MAchamp is a must up there, i would place it 5-8th placeon there defininteally better than ZRE

Theres no order of quality here, although Machamp is a decent deck in the right metagame. Its just one the Machamp powerhouse is gone its hard to get those reacts back

Normally this is a 'deck help' forum, but this article can stay, as per our guidelines, as an exception -- provided three things happen: a) author is open to submissions and keeps updating post 1 with information submitted in the thread (names, nicknames, strategies of decks that have a winning track record in premiere events), b) members don't steer the topic toward any one deck and c) no flame wars, claim wars or claim to fame wars ensue. If you see any item c happening, report those posts to keep this article open.

Of course, good decks is subjective, and just because your deck isn't on the list doesn't mean it isn't 'good' - I do suggest some objective criteria above, but that's only a suggestion.

Kempley: Thanks again for the compliment. About T1 Muk, it is part of Musk-Ox (er, Dustlock). About "Babies," please be more specific.

Pokekid: I already have included Machamp as a React deck, and Machamp exclusively as a Nidoqueen variant (although great minds may differ).

bulbasnore: I wouldn't mind moving the thread if it's more convenient for you as administrator. I thought myself that perhaps this wasn't the right forum, but I wasn't sure. Also, can I make it either "sticky" or "front page" or are these titles designated for other types of posts?

About keeping up with it, I do intend to, up until Nationals, as I posted. I'm definitely trying to keep the list as a "premiere" list, as you suggested. That's why I made an "honorable mention" category also. I certainly can't stop anyone from steering or making claims, but I made this thread as an objective list, because the Gym already didn't have one comprehensive for this format, IMO. So, I will try to keep claims, flames, and fames OUT ;-)

Please let me know about the "front page" / "sticky" thing, and/or if there is any better forum or way to place this. And thanks for letting it stay as is, and for the encouragement.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back