Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How much would it cost us to get back into the Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokidad

Hi Everyone,

We have been sitting on the side lines for more than two years. Pokemon has always been more fun to play (even with the greater chance factor of flips, etc.). Also, the Pokemon Community and players have a better personality than other TCGs that we have learned and played.

I was wondering, since we haven't played the game for over two years, how much would it take to get back into the game (money wise and learning the new decks)? I'm sure rules have changed somewhat and modified has moved onto other sets (old ones being rotated out).

Now, this doesn't mean we will be coming back to this game. We just need some information before we invest our funds and time/energy is playing a great card game. Also, it would be real nice to see all of you at upcoming events.

Dave Brooks
Falls Church, VA

Good to hear from you again.

Learning the new decks - Well according to most everyone there are only a few viable decks around so there wouldn't be that much learning.

Money - Big variable here as if you go after the "best" cards only then it could still cost a few hundred. That's really a tough one for me to say as it all depends on what you're after.

If you & your kids decide to get back in it I'm sure you'll remember all the fun times!

Great to hear that Dave! I`m running a last chance warm up tournament today at 10am-2pm at my league(if you can`t make 10am,your still more than welcome to join in and casual play and chat).Hope you can make my States tomorrow!

As for cost,thats a variable like Old Man said but It all depends on how much you want to buy.;)

`Sensei

Another thing you might want to consider for cost factors is how you want to go about building your decks in general...the few decks I have would be considered "expensive", if only for all the blazikens and my 2 BEXs, but I've only actually bought one box of cards or so a set, which if you find the right place, can be as cheap as 80 dollars. What I'm getting around to is that since I only play fire type decks, my favorite type, I can usually trade for everything I need using what I don't want out of the boxes I do buy, so if you have one particular field you want to go for, then you would be able to do the same and keep your cost down that way.

I hope that made some sense ^^;

I'll just say 8 words: Blastoise ex should be in the next set.

Hope to see you back! :D

also many of the trainers in the current decks are expected to be rotated out in the next 4 months

If you're coming back Buy RSon (ruby and sapphire onwards) and not Exon (expedition onwards). As NoPoke said we expect the WotC e-card sets to rotate out soon although not the playmats, posters, signs and other promotional materials.. but that is probably just a UK thing... note to PUI send us Playmats NOW!

It's great to have you back and we hope you like it enough to stay :)

Thanks

For those here that know us, we are very competitive players (at least I hope we were) and like to see if we can make the top 8 at most events, if not the top 4. Even though we like to play fun decks, we do a lot of play testing and build competitive decks. Most of them are very expensive since trading or obtaining cards used in these types of decks are harder to obtain.

Sensei (Mike). Sorry but have morning plans for tomorrow and won't be able to attend.

Old Man, Glad to see you still in the game. Need more guys like you.

Again, we are comtemplating on coming back into the game. We have a lot to consider besides cost and time. Pokemon is a great game and so is the Community. We have made no decisions to return, yet.

PokePop, you really don't want Jonathan to start playing Blastoise, again, do you? You know water pokes are the best ones to play. ROFLOL

NoPoke: Thanks - having the power house (trainers) being rotated out in four months puts us close to Worlds. I hope they will be around for that event. However, I will check around to see what are the most viable competitive decks and what it would take to have 4 for us to play again, competitively.

ukpokemonpro: Be nice to see European players. We had so much fun at the prior STSs and Worlds. Promotional stuff is ok. Most of cards we will need won't be promo cards.

Flare StarFire: Yeah, finding a place that sell singles will be real hard, even on the internet. Less and less places sell singles these days. I will check around other personal sources for stock that they made have.

Again, thanks guys. it has been helpful.

Dave: I would expect the e-trainers to still be part of the format for Worlds.
Things can always change, but I think that is the intent.

The format will probably change after that.

Funny to say this but if you need cheap cards that will improve a deck. There is always Ebay

I know boxes of all sets from wizards to nintendo plus hundreds of singles are sold there at good prices'

Its good to see you and your family back in the game and hope to see ya at nationls

Pokidad- didn't mean to confuse....as far as getting individual cards went, I never buy single cards...usually I make the most of whats at the local League, and get out to milford where I can, and just make sure I have popular stuff that I -don't- want to play, and usually I'll walk away at the end of the day with the cards I was looking for. So most of the time my book goes from having a sort of complete fire section with a bunch of nice other cards, to a very complete fire section with extras to play with, and virtually nothing else. XD

Buying a card outright should be a last resort when nobody in your decent area has it or won't trade it for -anything-, or when you're desperate and need to get that card before a big tournament and you're not sure you'll have the resources to get one at the scene, in the case of practicing with a "proxy" card.

Hope that makes it a little clearer, and if you decide to come back, it'll be great to have ya =)
See you around!

I have a single Pokemon card webshop for years already and one of less who still want to put time and money in it.
Most of my cards are bought by our National players but there are enough left and I ship worldwide.

Don't know if I can put the site overhere, Mods just remove it if it's against any policy.
www.cardpoint.nl
There is an emailadress on the site just use that if you need any info.

From the money I "earn" this way I keep my tournaments and pokemonclub going, because we don't have any support overhere.

Last edited:
Dave - Nice to hear from you. With such Top Prizes on the line such as the College Scholarships it would be a very great time to come back into play. I agree with you that this community, for the most part, has the better attitutde and "funplay" thank other games do. Say hi to everyone.

All you need is some cards! Don't worry about deck ideas, we got you posted w/ a ton of deck ideas in the deck strategy section. Welcome aboard.. again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back