Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How to Install the PTCGO so it works!

Rogue Archetype

Moderator <br> Contest Host
A lot of people (self included) had problems installing the PTCGO.
We got the CAKE REFRESHER LOOP OF Dooooooommmmm.

The problem is very easy to remedy.

There are 2 different approaches you can use to get yourself up and running today! :smile:

Method #1: Uninstall and reinstall to a DIFFERENT PLACE.

Apparently, the program doesn't like to install over itself.
So, you need to either completely remove all PTCGO folders AFTER installing or install to an entirely different directory.

1. Uninstall the program.
2. Install the program but change "install to" directory when the option is given.

Method #2: Uninstall and THEN delete PTCGO folder (may be "hidden" file)

This is given to us by another PokeGym member: <-- this worked for me. :)

So to be sure you have done the following:
1. Uninstalled PTGO using the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
2. Remove ALL files and folders from the original install location, empty recycle bin(shouldn't need to, but can't hurt)
3. Download the latest version of PTGO from the Pokemon website and install to a custom location

You should also try a search for the files: 'patchsettins.txt' and 'patchsettings.txt.meta' I believe these are the problem files that don't get uninstalled, also look for the folder 'Refresher_Data' just in case they got put somewhere else during one of your installs. All of these should be removed if found.
If you did all that and the refresher still won't work properly you will likely need to contact Pokemon's tech support.

Good luck.

Well I tried both of these methods and nothing. I sent a ticket to support and nothing.

I am absolutely out of ideas, and am about ready to give up. Anyone got any other ideas?

Sux too because I really wanted to play this.

Guittarplayer -- I almost gave up on it as well, but managed to get it sorted out today. If you're on a Mac, you need to get rid of the program from the Applications and Download folders, and then download it again. You'll know that you have everything cleaned out if the download size is around 192 MB. If it stops at 189 MB, it's not going to work, and you need to track down wherever else the old download is located. Once I cleaned everything else out, it worked fine. If you're on a PC, the same concept should apply, but I'm not sure where the old files might be located.

On a Mac, I also recommend not installing it to Applications. That's because the installer (and Refresher) requires extra permissions to write to that system-level folder, so it's just one more thing to go wrong. Instead, install it somewhere under your Home directory, like on your Desktop, your Downloads folder, or somewhere else.

If you are attempting to reinstall on a Mac, move both programs to the Trash and empty the Trash. Then reboot your computer, download the new client, and install. If it seemingly hangs during startup with no screens appearing, reboot your computer again and start the program again. There's some voodoo going on here, but still no reason it shouldn't work if you can manage a clean install.

I'm still getting the "server specified is unavailable." message that's been preventing me from playing at all since September.

And no, it's not a firewall problem. Trust me, after a ridiculous amount of uninstalls, deletes, and reinstalls, it's not the firewall.

In short, I too am upset I can't play the game.

I am very untechnical, but wanted to add my two cents.

Also look for files that have just pok (not pokemon) like *pok*. For some reason, every time I install the game, I get a folder labelled "The Pok__mon Company International" that contains the subfolder "Refresher" which I delete as well.

One more thing I wanted to mention to KoopalingJ - I've installed PTCGO on three computers, two at home and one on my work laptop (shhhh...)

The game works on all three. HOWEVER, when I am at work, I get the message "server specified is unavailable" which means my firewall at work won't let the game come through. When I am at home or elsewhere using Wifi (same work laptop) I can play just fine. HTH.

I am very untechnical, but wanted to add my two cents.

Also look for files that have just pok (not pokemon) like *pok*. For some reason, every time I install the game, I get a folder labelled "The Pok__mon Company International" that contains the subfolder "Refresher" which I delete as well.

One more thing I wanted to mention to KoopalingJ - I've installed PTCGO on three computers, two at home and one on my work laptop (shhhh...)

The game works on all three. HOWEVER, when I am at work, I get the message "server specified is unavailable" which means my firewall at work won't let the game come through. When I am at home or elsewhere using Wifi (same work laptop) I can play just fine. HTH.

...Your work firewall doesn't happen to be Norton, does it? (Please say no.)

Told you that I'm totally untechnical - all I know is that there's a McAfee symbol at the bottom right of my screen right now. :confused: How do I tell what my firewall is?

If it's the McAfee symbol, you're running McAfee. Crud. Now it means its NOT a Norton problem. Fingers crossed this somehow gets fixed. I've got 60 booster codes waiting for redemption :(

Back