Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How to use Technical Machine TS-2?

I put together a Scizor/Cherrim deck from a list I found on the web (I may have found that list right here at the PokeGym).

The list includes two Technical Machine TS-2 cards.

Last weekend while playing with my grandson we were trying to figure out how to use that card.

At first we treated it as a trainer and that worked great because it allowed me to devolve my grandson's active Pokemon and then on the same turn to attack it and knock it out.

But then we noticed the fine print (when all else fails, read the text on the card, duh!) that specifies that the card doesn't work like a trainer at all , but instead works like a tool card and adds an attack to one of your Pokemon in play. So we were using the card incorrectly, weren't we? Dang! It was fun while it lasted, though.

So, if I have a Technical Machine TS-2 attached to my active Pokemon, and use its attack to devolve one of my opponent's Evolved Pokemon, on his/her next turn s/he can just evolve that Pokemon back up again on his/her next turn, right?

And my opponent can evolve as many Pokemon per turn as s/he chooses, can't s/he?

I can see a possible use for this card. If my opponent's Active Pokemon is a Stage 1 and I'm afraid s/he will evolve it to a Stage 2, I can devolve it back to a Basic and that would give me time to evolve my active Pokemon and/or add energy to my Active Pokemon.

Is that the way to use this card?

It attaches like a Pokemon Tool, but you can have as many as you want per Pokemon (still only 4 of each per deck). Basically, it replaces your attack and takes the highest evolution off of the defending Pokemon and puts it back in their hand. Note that if the defending Pokemon is stage 2 and has a stage 1 under it, only the stage 2 removes and the stage 1 remains.

It is particularly useful against stage 2 decks that use Rare Candy or for a well-timed KO by devolving the Pokemon (thus giving it less HP).

When you use a Technical Machine, you attach it to one of your Pokemon (can be active or benched) and then you use its "power" as your Active Pokemon's attack.

You can choose any of your opponent's pokemon to devolve, but if your opponent has an Unown G attached, the attack will fail.

Players often use the TM2 in a "spread" tech. They target a stage 1 or stage 2 Pokemon that already has damage on it. When the highest evolution is put back into their opponent's hand, the damage on the basic or stage 1 can knock out that card. Or a player will use the Devolution attack on a stage 2 that has been "rare candied" That way unless the opponent has a rare candy or stage 1 in their hand, they now have a vunerable basic in play.

The TMachine stays attached to your pokemon until that Pokemon is knocked out (although a potential new card in Rising Rivals lets a player move their TMs around). Since it is a Machine, and not a Tool, you can also attach a tool along side the machine. And, if you want, you can attach as many TMs to a Pokemon as you want (say a TM 1 evoluter and a TM 2).
Hope this helps!

Players often use the TM2 in a "spread" tech. They target a stage 1 or stage 2 Pokemon that already has damage on it. When the highest evolution is put back into their opponent's hand, the damage on the basic or stage 1 can knock out that card.

Aha! Of course! I didn't see that possibility. (At my age I'm more than a little slow on the uptake). Very sneaky; I can't wait to try it out!

Or a player will use the Devolution attack on a stage 2 that has been "rare candied" That way unless the opponent has a rare candy or stage 1 in their hand, they now have a vunerable basic in play.

Another option I hadn't thought of!

OK, now I get it, many thanks Chuckles!

Last edited:
Just remember to save them for situations where you can't ko their pokemon without devolving them. You don't want to play the card on your scizor or cherrim to ko a pokemon you would have ko'ed through normal means.

REMEMBER TO CHECK TO SEE IF THE POKEMON YOU WANT TO DEVOLVE HAS UNOWN G ATTACHED!!!

Unown G BLOCKS the TM2's altogether!!!

I'm probably one of the few that bothers playing Unlimited format using oldschool cards.
I have Aerodactyl (fossil) in my deck. Prevents Evolution cards being played.
And TM2 to devolve Pokemon that used Rare Candy to overpass it. In this case, they won't be able to evolve again unless they have another Rare Candy.
I also use Mewtwo Lv.X which is immune to Basic Pokemon. And with my Aerodactyl in play, there won't be any Evolved Pokemon. That's the idea anyway...

It has its flaws, but still a fun deck to use against my friends. :smile:

I'm probably one of the few that bothers playing Unlimited format using oldschool cards.

Hi AzNightmare! My grandson and I play Unlimited too; we've got so many old cards, it seems a waste not to use them. :smile:

I have Aerodactyl (fossil) in my deck. Prevents Evolution cards being played.

I was sorting out my cards last night (long overdue) and swear I came across an Aerodactyl. But on reading your message I just looked for it among my Fossil cards, and didn't find it. :frown: Where else do you supposed I might have stashed it? I've got my Pokemon cards filed by energy type and level.

It has its flaws, but still a fun deck to use against my friends. :smile:

I'd love to see the deck list for that deck, could you post it here or PM me with it? I need all the help I can get playing against my grandson -- he routinely kicks my butt -- so it would be great to have a coach who knows all the oldschool cards.

Back