Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hydreigon, does it have potential?

Excalibar

When I saw the thread discussing Haxorus, I realized that another card that hasn't been discussed is the other dragon of Unova: Hydreigon. Now, for those of you who don't know what it does/is:

Hydriegon HP:150 Type: Darkness Stage 2

Ability: Dark Aura
"All Energy attached to this Pokemon becomes Darkness Energy"

:dark::dark::dark::dark: Dangerous Blade Damage:60
"Choose two of your opponent's benched Pokemon, and this attach does 40 damage to each of those Pokemon(don't apply Weakness and Resistance to benched Pokemon).

Right, now here are some questions to start the discussion(s):

What combinations can Hydreigon be a part of?

How do you speed up its attack?

Is it actually worth using?

Okay, my thoughts:

I think it could be used with at least two combos. One with Kingdra Prime(to deal with Donphan and to increase this decks ability to snipe the bench), and also with a Typhlosion/Ninetales engine to accelerate energy attachment. Double Colorless Energy is in regardless in my opinion. With the right combination, I believe Hydreigon has the potential to make a very good showing at this years Nationals/Worlds. Now, what say you?

Seconding the idea with Emboar, though running 2 Stage 2s is always icky...

I dunno, I have mixed opinions on Hydregion. On the one hand, 150 HP is beastly, as well as the Ability; slap on 2 DCE and you're ready to go. On the other hand, the Fighting weakness means Donphan gets to walk over him, and his direct damage is very underpowering for 4 Energy for 60, though the ability to hit 2 others on the bench for 40 is nice. Just wish it did more direct damage as well...

With Kingdra is a VERY good ability, also it may be able to do more direct damage with special darks? I think the deck certainly has potential.

Double Colorless Energy. That's basically all you need. Maybe Feraligatr Prime, to cover weakness.

Last edited:
Hydreigon won't see play at either this years nats nor worlds. The set will be released around worlds, since they have the pre-release usually then.

This card's hot though.

I honestly love everything about the card, but I think with catcher being in the format it'll suffer. Probably coming out around the same time, even though the spread is good, why bother when you can catcher something up? It's really unfortunate, but I just can't see this getting heavy play. Maybe I'm wrong, but who knows.

In the idea of getting it to work, I'm going to say that emboar seems logical, although I'm not in love with it. I like that it's compatible with special dark, and dce, not to mention it's a tank, but that 150HP may not be so much in a format with RDL.None the less, two special darks, and a dce could push him up to 80 and 40 to two bench, but I feel like that's being too generous. I think the best part about this card is that he can go into any deck you want him to, potentially giving him a place anywhere you need a 150HP tank. Something to keep in mind I guess.

you could always pair it wit feraligatr and blastoise! i think those would counter donphan pretty well willl feraligatr gets to power up hydreigon and blastoise. the only thing wrong with this is you have an awful lot of stage 2 you need to be running

It has potential, but it would be silly to say anything more than that.

It's almost impossible to judge a card until we know the format and card pool. I'm betting that a lot of Hydreigon hype is down to the fact that it's a cool looking Dragon that people want/expect to be good.

To those saying it suffers with Catcher in the format - keep in mind two can play THAT game. You can Catcher something of your opponent, play Shaymin/Pachirisu to power him quickly, and then you can, for example, slaughter a basic while softening up the attackers that follow. Therein lies the real beauty of his attack. They try to toss a basic out as a meatshield? They'll still get dented.

Why not Mandibuzz? Resists Donphan and further exploits the Earthquake backsplash. Just seems a bit futile teaming Hydreigon with a stage 2 in a slow format.
Posted with Mobile style...

Emboar is a cool idea,

Hydreigon seems good, seeing as you can knock out the opponents benched babies such as cleffa

Mandibuzz is still 2HKO'd with a PlusPower without really having a lot of potential to net KO's. Feraligatr can chain KO Donphans no problem. Just run a Shaymin or two to move the Energy to Hydreigon.

Why would you ever want Feraligatr? Its attack is meh, still cant 1HKO Donphan and can't raindance energy onto Hydreigon cause its not a water type...

And did anyone have to look at other posts to write Hydreigons name? XD

---------- Post added 06/12/2011 at 10:34 AM ----------

and to add, sumerott is probably a better "teamate" to counter Donphan but doesn't work together with Hydre at all on top of being a stage 2. I don't think Hydre will see ANY play other than just being a cheap knockoff of Tyranitar or a really bad partner to Tyranitar or Mandibuzz.
With the Emboar topic, wouldn't you want a 130HP BASIC with a 120dmg attack and a potential 140 dmg attack (outrage) over a attack that does 60 dmg and 40 dmg to 2 benched pokemon on top of it being a fire type to work in cooralation with emboar? I am talking about reshiram if you didn't know.
Now to talk about his spread damage, it costs 4 energy thats basically colorless, does a moderate sum of dmg to the active and a good sum to the benched. Take a gander at a pokemon who doesnt have a spotlight in this format, SIMISEAR, flame burst for 1 fire energy does 20 the active and 20 to 2 benched pokemon. This is so much faster than a Hydre based spread deck, so what I am trying to say is you might as well go the fast route to Simisear to spread your damage for 1 measly fire energy, then spend 4 colorless and 2-3 turns just trying to set him up.

The only deck I see Hydre being in is in a devolve spread deck with DCL which I think a guy posted a decklist on a different forum. With such a massive spread this could definently work well with jirachi etc but I still think Simisear is a better and faster route then the overhyped beefy Hydreigon that I dont see ever top cutting in nats or worlds EVER. Might make a fun League deck, or BR deck but thats about it.
Hope I didn't offend Die hard Hydre fans but this is my 2 cents so let the trolling commence.

Last edited:
Why would you ever want Feraligatr? Its attack is meh, still cant 1HKO Donphan and can't raindance energy onto Hydreigon cause its not a water type...

And did anyone have to look at other posts to write Hydreigons name? XD

---------- Post added 06/12/2011 at 10:34 AM ----------

and to add, sumerott is probably a better "teamate" to counter Donphan but doesn't work together with Hydre at all on top of being a stage 2. I don't think Hydre will see ANY play other than just being a cheap knockoff of Tyranitar or a really bad partner to Tyranitar or Mandibuzz.
With the Emboar topic, wouldn't you want a 130HP BASIC with a 120dmg attack and a potential 140 dmg attack (outrage) over a attack that does 60 dmg and 40 dmg to 2 benched pokemon on top of it being a fire type to work in cooralation with emboar? I am talking about reshiram if you didn't know.
Now to talk about his spread damage, it costs 4 energy thats basically colorless, does a moderate sum of dmg to the active and a good sum to the benched. Take a gander at a pokemon who doesnt have a spotlight in this format, SIMISEAR, flame burst for 1 fire energy does 20 the active and 20 to 2 benched pokemon. This is so much faster than a Hydre based spread deck, so what I am trying to say is you might as well go the fast route to Simisear to spread your damage for 1 measly fire energy, then spend 4 colorless and 2-3 turns just trying to set him up.

The only deck I see Hydre being in is in a devolve spread deck with DCL which I think a guy posted a decklist on a different forum. With such a massive spread this could definently work well with jirachi etc but I still think Simisear is a better and faster route then the overhyped beefy Hydreigon that I dont see ever top cutting in nats or worlds EVER. Might make a fun League deck, or BR deck but thats about it.
Hope I didn't offend Die hard Hydre fans but this is my 2 cents so let the trolling commence.

You could play Hydreigon WITH Simisear :rolleyes:

Back