Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I Am Vindicated

Greetings everyone,

For those of you that still remember me, hello again. For those who have no idea who I am, regardless, it's nice to be back here. I just think I'll update the 'Gym on my life (for those that might care).

First and foremost, I just wanted to say that effective the 2008-2009 year, I will return to competitive play in some form. More than likely, I will try to mix up some judging into the year. I had intended to return to the game last year around City Championship season time after winning one City, almost another, after not playing at all for over a year. I haven't really been at the level I'd like since the 2006-2007 season. There were several factors into my waning interest in the game, both having to do with the game, and some of it was personal reasons.

The biggest motivation for my departure from the game was to finish my college undergraduate education off strong and get into good graduate program(s). I have done that. I graduated in May with a 3.96 and have been accepted into a wonderful Biomedical Program where I will obtain my Masters before applying to Pharmacy School in 2010. Second, the game had grown stale for me, and even when I made a brief return last December, I witnessed the beginning of Gallade/Gardevoir and Magmortar. The former still being a more than ridiculous overplayed deck. Therefore, I wasn't interested in playing in a format that I didn't enjoy with limited free time. The last reason is a bit more personal. It had to do with my own personal battle for a couple years with bone cancer. I've had surgeries, biopsies, been put on medication, therapy, everything. I was given a sign Saturday, and yes, I realize that Nationals was on Saturday. Saturday was the day my doctors told me that my cancer had finally gone into total remission.

I've been telling some people that I feel like I've got one more good run left in me. I still think about the game from time to time, looking at the card scans, coming up with theoretical ideas. You know, all the stuff I used to do. I'm also back in Ohio (where I originated from before going to school in North Carolina). I believe that with myself back in my roots, I'm ready to dive back into the game for at least one last season. And perhaps the game will still be stale, but I cannot help but imagine that with the future sets coming out, there will be options for someone who loves to go Rogue. I already have a modification of a deck that I used with cards from the next set in mind. Besides, what's the worst thing that could happen? Me having to run archetypes - yeah, I've done that before, with more than satisfactory results.

To my friends in North Carolina, I'm sorry I had to so abruptly quit - there were days I thought I wouldn't survive juggling everything I had to. Who knows, perhaps a return for a States is in order? To those in Ohio who know me, I'm looking forward to being part of the scene again. For those who don't, well, get ready. :D

See you all next season (God willing!),

~Jim

It's nice to see someone with their priorities straight, even if it isn't 100% voluntary. I'm glad to hear that you're cancer is gone as you are too probably. It's definitely something that needs to take importance in one's life to survive.

I definitely applaud you for all you've been through and am grateful you will be returning to the game.

I, too, have taken a break mainly for my studies and to work. Now that work is getting easier I decided to come back and enjoy playing. We have a lot in common, Jim. Hopefully the game won't get stale for you again because I'm glad to see you back.

That's great news Jim, glad everything's going well for you and I hope it continues to do so. Welcome back to the game!

Jim: That is GREAT news! So glad to hear your medical condition is better now and I look forward to seeing your name pop up at tourneys. The Carolina area will miss you, but Ohio will be glad to welcome you back with open arms (at least until you start whooping up on them on a consistent basis :lol: )

Keith

i'd been wondering how you were doing, after the last time we talked on AIM a while back. GREAT to hear that you're in remission, and may you stay so. welcome back to the game :)

'mom

Back