Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I have a quint Mawile ....

P_A

It's got ?/31/31/31/31/31 stats, with a lonely nature ( + att - def) with "alert to sounds" characteristic ( + speed). Should I try to get a quint (or perfect) Mawile with high or perfect HP IV - possibly with a different Nature? What should I be looking for (and EV training for) in a Mawile?

EDIT: Ooops, I forgot to say it's an intimidate Mawile as well. Also wouldn't mind if someone might recommend some movesets. I have a pretty good idea what I would say are some good moves, but I'd like someone else's ideas as well.

Last edited:
Mawile generally wants Adamant or Brave, but I'd only bother with Brave if you're going with TR and 0 Spe IVs. Otherwise no reason to use Lonely since you don't want to take away from its good Def. So in that regard, I would try to get one with perfect HP instead as its SpA is the stat it never uses. If possible, definitely make sure Intimidate is its ability, Hyper Cutter isn't technically bad if you lead and helps if your opponent leads with Intimidate, but you'll be mega evolving right away, so Intimidate is better in the sense that it does something to both opponents whereas Hyper Cutter is iffy.

For EV training, max HP/Atk is usually good, though you can do some to outspeed a few other slow threats that Mega Mawile otherwise doesn't outspeed if you're going Adamant. But that's also why you have Sucker Punch handy to hit faster threats first. And if you're going Brave, just max HP/Atk.

Yes that nature is bad for Mawile. I use a Max HP Max Atk mawile with 31 IV in everything but sp atk. I prefer adamant because because I dont like the speed reduction of brave, but if you are using trick room then definitely you want brave with 0 speed. My Mawile carries Play Rough(every mawile does), suckerpunch(again staple for mawile), and iron head for fairy coverage and protect(which every mega should carry). Mega mawile could also run the Elemental Fang moves if you prefer but ive found that there are better attack my others pokes have that can cover those same weaknesses. This is coming from a Strictly Doubles Perspective NOT SINGLES.

Thanks guys for your input. It was very helpful. I'll be trying to come up with an Adamant nature Mawile next. No, I'm not ready to make up a trick room team just yet. It does intrigue me, but I want to make a normal team first. And thank you for the tip about EV training for HP and ATK. Hoards, I'm on my way! Mwahahaa! Yes, I'll probably be doing more doubles battles than singles, but I'm sure there will be lots of those as well. Bigbowlr, thanks for your moveset info, it was also very helpful. I just need a little clarification though - why do you say all megas should have protect? Aren't they just delaying the inevitable by using that? I know in my battles, if an opponent uses that move it doesn't really stop me for long, the next turn I'll just hit him again anyway, and he's lost his defense. Wouldn't that be better served by widening out your offensive moves? Now, that being said, I can also see where you're coming from .... to a point, since Mawile is all about his iron defense sort of thing. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

I have more questions ready for other threads. In the meantime, I'll let you know how the quest continues ....

Megas don't gain there Stat boost til the turn after they mega evolve. So u mega evolve protect then start attacking once your Stat changes take effect. Its just my personal opinion from my own playing and observing how other play online. Protect is also a great move in general, and by no means delays the inevitable, It may in some cases, but a well timed protect can swing a game.

If that stat boost timing thing indeed is the case, then yes, I can see where protect would come in handy. And I can see where it would come in handy in doubles battles, but singles not so much. Just my opinion I guess. Since I'll want to do a lot more doubles battles, I think I'll take your advice, thanks.

Now I have my quad Adamant Intimidate Mawile with an everstone that I'll breed with my quint. Hopefully my breeding them will come to an end shortly, so I can go on to other projects .....

Yeah I dont know much about the singles meta mainly cause I don't want to spend time training my team just to have some website ban a member of my team and force a new strategy. I like the doubles meta being set for the season and knowing it wont change all of sudden.

Ok, now I'm done breeding Mawiles. I finally have the quint I'm looking for, with an Adamant nature. My next project is working on Scythers (for Scizor) and Kangaskhans. If anyone is interested in getting one or more Mawile for breeding their Mega Mawile, check out my sig for details on what's available. PM me when you're ready.

Hmmm, maybe I'm not done breeding them after all. Down the road, I might consider trying to breed them again for the move Sucker Punch, Ice Fang or Fire Fang. We'll see.

I really like sucker punch on mega mawile. With the fact that feels so slow it allows him to ko threats that are already damaged or just straight ohko offensives ghost types.

Back