Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I OFFICIALLY HATE TIEBREAKERS(Newark DE GC report)

Lugia EX

I had to decide between playing Queendom, Medicham/Espeon, or Dragtrode. I chose Queendom and wanted to play a Delta Pidgeot tech for LBS. But I didn’t have it so I decided I would trade for it before the tournament started. Also, one of my Desert Ruins was Japanese so I went to pokemon-tcg.com clicked on card info and printed out what I thought was a card dex print out and cut it to size so it would fit in my damage counter case. Once I got there I began the search for a Delta Pidgeot. My search was over when I saw the same guy that sold singles and pokemon coin thingies at Blue Bell selling them here. I buy a Delta Pidgeot from him for $3. But then I find out that Delta Pidgeot shuts off ALL non delta powers. I thought it only shut off the opponent’s powers. I decided not to play it because I didn’t want to shut down my quick search and I already had 1-1 Dark Hypno and a retriever for LBS .Then I find out that the piece of paper I brought with me was NOT a legitimate translation. Joshua Hinkel lends me one of his english Desert Ruins. The tournament starts and I’m paired against a bad matchup first round.

Round 1: Joshua Hinkel(Metanite)

I start with a Nidoran, Pidgey, and no energy. He has a holon castform, uses mentor, and plays another delta poke to delta draw for 4. I have pidgeot in my hand but no candy. I play a great ball but then I find out that had I not played it, my next topdeck would have been the candy. I’m eventually able to get Pidgeot out but by then he had Delta Pidgeot with a Holon GL. He takes 5 prizes before I’m able to play a DRE on a Queen and use Toxic. It didn’t matter because he had more than enough energy to kill me.

Loss 0-1

Round 2: Anthony Durso(Machamp/Milotic/Pidgeot)

He gets a Jirachi but has a hard time setting up and bad luck with Wishing Star. I get set up pretty nicely and take out his jirachi. He gets up a Pidgeot and an HL Machamp. I eventually KO Machamp and he sends in Pidgeot. He has a Magnetic Storm in play, so I get the 6th evolution on my board and OHKO Pidgeot. All he had left was a Feebas which I killed next turn.

Win 1-1

Dorian brought in pizza from the nearby seasons pizza for $1 a slice. I quickly eat 2 slices out of fear that the next round could start at any minute.

Round 3: Evan Bennett(LBS)

This was a very close match. We both get set up and he uses Mew EX to copy clutch to KO one of my early Nidorinas. Eventually I KO mew with Dark Hypno. He Lugias one of my queens, a stadium war is in play and it goes back and forth to a 2-2 prize count. Time is called so next prize wins. He plays admin and sends up Pidgeot. I retreat and clutch his Pidgeot with DRE for 30. He gets the switch but doesn’t have a 4th energy for Steelix so he passes. I Quick Search for a Steven’s Advice and needed a Candy, Queen, and DRE. I got everything but the Candy. He gets the 4th energy for the game.

Loss 1-2

Round 4: Forgot Name(LBS)

He gets one of the most horrible starts I’ve ever seen. It was a lone HL Jirachi with no energy. I start to get set up and he gets a shining Latias and a Mew EX in play but still no energy. He even gets Stoise but only 1 or 2 energies for the whole game. I rip through him with Queen, Desert Ruins, and Clutch for his shining Latias.

Win 2-2

Round 5: Alex Sanyer(Dragtrode)

Another close match. I get a bit of a slow setup, but he only gets 2 voltorbs to start out with. We each get some more pokemon and I risked an early Pidgeotto to kill his Dratini. Luckily he only hit Pidgeotto for 60. I KO his trode with Queen, but he uses Sneasel to KO me back. I’m able to get Pidgeot up which helped a lot. Eventually he Sneasels another Queen and the prize count becomes 2-2 with time called. I had a benched nidoran with one energy, and a Queen in my hand. I have to play retriever and shuffle 3 cards into my deck just so I can use Steven for 6 cards. I got a DRE and a Candy. Retreat Pidgeot, evolve stuff, GG.

Win 3-2

Both Joshua and Evan were 4-1 so I had a pretty good shot at the top 8. The standings are posted and for the 2nd time this GC season there it was:
9. Matthew Leblanc
This time I missed T8 by ONE PERCENT TIEBREAK. At that point I wanted to take a Dragon 2 Handed Sword and Powerstab the computer and the standings sheet. Dorian gives all the 3-2s that didn’t make the cut 2 packs. I got 1 DS and 1 HP. I didn’t pull anything good so I went to the main store and got 6 packs of LM for $20. I pulled Dustox EX, 2 Victrebells, a Girafarig, RH Gorebyss, Cursed Stone, Stump, and React. Then I bought some singles in case I need them for a deck next format.

Props:
Evan and Alex for close matches
Joshua Hinkel for lending me an english Desert Ruins
Johnny for making Delta Pidgeot work in Queendom
The guy selling single cards for having some gems at good prices.
Dorian for bringing in pizza and giving 2 packs to all 3-2s that did not make T8
My 6 packs of LM
I'm going to Nationals

Slops:
TIEBREAKERS FOR DONKING ME THIS ENTIRE GC SEASON
Rare Candy for disappearing after my great ball in the 1st round.

Unfortunately in a 5 round tournament, if you lose game 1, your best chance is to not lose again . That
1st round loss is tough.

Sweet I got some props. Keep in mind I switched to Queen the day OF the tourny and it wasn't even mine! It was my PTO's and since his daughter decided not to play I got it.

Back