Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I wrote too much...T64 Nationals Report

King Piplup

Note-I haven't had the opportunity to do grammar/spelling checks yet, and since I just wrote the last quarter on my phone, I'll be doing that in the morning, but wanted to get this up.
Enjoy!

----------------

Day Zero (AKA Pre-Reg)

I get up 6:15, pack all of the Pokemon stuff (Don’t underestimate what that means…), and begin the drive to Indianapolis. I arrive in Indy around 12:30 PM, without having eaten anything that morning (Rushed morning left breakfast forgotten), so we hustle to get everything unpacked and rush over to the mall to find SOMETHING to eat. To make it even more painful, from our hotel (SpringHill Suites Marriot) the mall was an elevator ride into the JW Marriot, a walk down the long hallway+skywalks that ran through the JW to the convention center. From there, it was a walk down a longer hallway, then either right (Where Nats was) or up, then down yet another hallway to get to the mall entrance, then through a parking garage, then the mall itself. I just wanted food -_-…. Anyway, we get food, then head back to our hotel room to grab our stuff, and head back down to scope out the vendors-except they weren’t open.

Then the Pre-Reg line begins to form, which I promptly join. My mom was with me until they announced we weren’t getting shirts until the end of Day 1, at which point she left for other things. I continued on.

Once pre-reg opened, I found it very saddening that every last name range except mine had been called to jump to the head of the line. Finally, P-S gets called! And people with the same thoughts as me beat me to the punch. The next time P-S gets called, I’m first to the punch. An hour of waiting later, I’m registered.

Later, my mom and brother walk up to the guy at the front of the registration line and ask how the whole thing works. As they walk up, P-S gets called. Apparently everyone with that last name range was as impatient as I was to get registered, as they register in 3 minutes….

With registration done, and my scouting for status decks complete (not worth teching against…), we head back to the hotel. After we order pizza, I head across to the center to check out rosters…Except they were late by around a half an hour. Once rosters were checked and all was finished over in the center, myself/family and some other MI seniors get together and hold a testing “tournament” in the lobby.

Before I go any further, at this point I knew my deck was like to be Terrkaion/Eelektrik/Zekrom/Mewtwo. I felt it had the answer to everything and was among the most consistent decks in format. However, since the last weekend of BR’s, I had been trying different things, such as anywhere from 2-4 DCE (I had played 0), to variations on my previously set-in-stone lines of 11 Supporters/1 Random Reciever, and my Smeargle/Skyarrow Bridge counts. When all was said and done, my list had become considerably more teched and clunky then that of my good friend/testing partner Andy R. While I was the first of us to pilot a list with DCE in tournament, and he quickly added it, he maintained the supporter/Smeargle lines we had originally used. While we had been fairly even in testing Tuesday night, I felt my list was just not setting up as well as it needed to. Despite these regrets, I continue onto our test tournament.

Basically, the four games I played went like so-

1st Game-Wes R. (Andy’s brother, Jr) VVV

Well, at this point I had teched an Espeon to see how much worse it made my deck. I prize the Eevee, and it ends up being the 4th one I draw. It doesn’t do me much good when I finally get it down, since my Mewtwo is stuck slowly freezing to death. When Espeon hits the field, it’s one turn too late, since my Mewtwo is at 160 with him able to Frost Breath for game next turn. This game single-handedly convinced me Espeon was a really bad plan.

2nd Game-CMTerrakion (As I call it) (Ben G)

Well, he gets setup faster and more successfully then I get all game. If I remember correctly, he 6-0’s me while I never develop a field.

3rd/4th Games-Terrakion/Eelektrik (Andy R)

Grouping these together because both were similar- I get wrecked while he sets up and I don’t. In more detail, he gets Eelektrik setup while I fail to even come close to doing such a thing.

Well, after all of that is said and done, it’s 10:30. I have a decklist printed out, ready to go, but it happens to be the list I had just used, which was a list I no longer felt comfortable staking my invite chances on. I lie down in bed, and begin scouring my message history for any remnant of a Battle Road list I used previously. Unfortunately, my search is in vain, as I go back to June 1st and find nothing. Defeated in that regard, I elect to write up a new list on my phone. I felt the list contained the essentials, and was more consistent than anything I had used thusfar this spring.

Day 1: Swiss Rounds 1-5

The next morning, I roll out of bed, and run to the lobby to type up a new decklist. As I hit “Print” the printer stays silent. As seconds turn into minutes, we consult the hotel, and they inform us the printer would likely not be working with the other computer workstation disconnected, which it was.

The good news was that my mom had the foresight to print an extra blank list in case of emergency. I hurriedly write out my list on the new sheet, eat breakfast, and run over to the convention center. I had plenty of time, but for whatever reason I felt it pertinent to arrive well earlier then needed. One of those reasons was to check out the vendors stock of Japanese merchandise, but I find my search was in vain, as their stock was already well picked over by the time I had arrived, which was a considerable feat considering it was only 8 AM.

As usual, rosters are later getting up (Can’t blame Pokemon, this tournament actually ran exceptionally well considering it was record breaking), and we all sit down to hand in our lists/listen to the vague lecture clearly aimed at the Random Reciever/N situation. Finally, at around 10:10, pairings for Round 1 go up.

Major decklist changes included dropping DCE for additional fighting energy, as well as rebuilding my Smeargle/Skyarrow Bridge combo, and my supporter suite.

In advance, sorry for my name remembering abilities.

Round 1 vs ??? w/Zekeels
Flip-I go second

Well, he sets up much faster than I do. He goes agro Mewtwo early, and I struggle to keep up. Interestingly, as Eel’s hit the field, I have done absolutely no deck searching. As a matter of a fact, as I setup Zekroms and a Mewtwo to revenge his, I still haven’t done a deck search. I revenge his Mewtwo, bringing what felt like a game getting out of reach back to a 4-4 tie. He revenges mine, and I topdeck a search card-Dual Ball to be exact. At this time, our fields looked somewhat like this-

Him-

Bench: Eel, Eel, Tynamo, 2 Energy Raikou EX, Shaymin UL

Active: Mewtwo with 3 energy.

Me-

Bench: 1 Energy Zekrom, Eel, Eel, Eel, Empty

Active: Smeargle, Skayarrow Bridge in play.

In hand, I had Terrakion+Fighting+Pluspower to kill a Raikou, should it try to attack my field for a prize. If I could revenge the Mewtwo, it was more than likely the match was mine. He had played 3 N already, so I felt decent that he either had no more or didn’t have it in hand. (Later confirmed he only had 3)

I go for the Dual Ball, flipping one heads. But, as is my luck with prizes and early rounds of tournaments (I always fall 0-1 or 1-1 at anything SPT or bigger, without fail), I of course prize the other Mewtwo, along with my second Terrakion and second Zekrom. At this point I’m feeling the match is lost unless I can grab a Catcher+Retaliate on that Raikou this turn, or draw my Super Rod, so I drop the Terrakion+Fighting and Juniper some Junipers and a Junk Arm. (No Catcher used yet)

As is my R1/2 luck, I whiff on the catcher, and after whiffing Portrait, am forced to use a non-eviolited Zekrom to damage a Mewtwo.

After that, he kills Zekrom, and I retaliate, whiffing the other Mewtwo off my prizes. However, at that point it no longer is relavent, as he is able to draw 2 prizes off my Eels/Non Eviolited Zekroms in short order.

0/1

Round 2 vs John M
w/Zekeels+Zapdos
Starting flip-I go second
A player from around the Midwest I saw a few times at BR's.
The list felt like it was straight out of cities honestly. Didn't run any EX other than Zekrom.

Well, if I setup badly last game, this game took it to a whole new level...My Eelektrik find a new vacation home...My prize cards. With 2/3 prized, my life got a lot harder. Falling 0/2 was not something I could afford to do. I keep up a stream of KO exchanges once I get some Eels rolling, but spend the entire game down a prize. I make a major misplay not noticing Zapdos is actually resistant to Fighting, not weak. Prizes were 3-2 when he used Zapdos' 2nd attack to deal 100 to my Mewtwo. I eviolite the Mewtwo to avoid a Thundurus KO, and Catcher kill a Zekrom EX (Fully Charged), putting us 1-2 in my favor. All he has to do is flip 2/4 heads to win the game. Mentally, I'm devastated. After a 35/6 BR run with the deck, 0-2 was not a good start.

Then, the misplay happened.

As he attacks, he announces the first attack that snipes 50 instead of the second 50x attack.

I call a judge and whatnot, all ready knowing the call was that he had to keep the attack. With a clearly devastated tone and face, I announce X-ball for the game. If you happen to be reading, I can tell you I still feel really bad for how this one ended.

1/1

Round 3 vs ??? w/Vileplume/Raikou/Eels
Starting flip-I go second

Well, on the opening turn, he collects for 2 Oddish and a Tynamo, and I sincerely get concerned about the match.

As his field unfolded on T1, I decided my best course of action was to take out the Tynamos, leaving him stuck with an Oddish on the bench, and down energy acceleration.

As the game unfolds, I see that he is using Tornadus EX, Terrakion, Mewtwo, and Raikou EX as his attackers.

I grab two prizes off his slower (by default) setup, then kill a Tornadus EX, setting myself up well ahead in the match. He uses Retaliate for the prize, and I transition to a Mewtwo based offense, trying to bait the revenge so I could win the Mewtwo war. As I damage his Terrakion for 80, he drops a Mewtwo, Dynamotors the one time he can, and attaches. Since he can't grab the KO, he does 30 with retaliate.

I retreat to a Terrakion, and retaliate him for 30, trying to lure either the Mewtwo into active, or the Raikou into another Terrakion's clutches. He catches on, and we both Retaliate once more until he realizes the match is unwinnable, at which point he attaches to Land Crush. I Retaliate for KO and he Volt Bolts an Eel, acknowledging his defeat. Was definitely one of the harder games to think through, simply because I didn't expect the concept.

2/1

Round 4 vs Jason Martinez w/Speed Darkrai (eventual Runner-up)
Starting flip-I go second of course.

Well, it's the first dark I have to face-and boy, was it a game...

To start we both get equally average starts. I build up Eels as he spreads damage around the Terrakion threat. Once he decides to take a prize, it ends up being an Eel KO, but I have my Terrakion at the ready and retaliate to even it up. Sadly, I miss the Pluspower to Land Crush for KO, but end up Retaliating next turn, evening putting us 4/2 after he draws a prize. Game in hand, I Junk Arm my Juniper and a Lightning for a Random Reciever to prevent portrait. Sadly, he N's us and Catcher KO's an Eel and the Terrakion. I attach Fighting to my fresh Terrakion and N.

At that point, I portrait, seeing his lone cards were two Dark Energy. At any point in the game, either of us Toping a Catcher (guess who still hadn't played one, AND had gotten his Random Reciver back out before the N and now sat with a hand of Lightning and Junk Arm...) would spell game over. I have no discarded Lightning, so I retreat and pass. At that point, he cycles his Smeargles for two turns looking for the Catcher, and avoiding potential Land Crush KO's before deciding to Night Spear, but not drawing any prizes so to avoid Terrakion ending the game.

At that point, I retreat and use my Eviolite'd Zekrom to Bolt Strike, putting his entire field into KO range. Neither of us hit a Supporter or the Catcher, so he retreats and sacks the Smeargle to my Zekrom. At that point, he no longer could avoid losing the last prize, and Night Spears taking the one prize he can. Outrage and the game is over.

3/1

Round 5 vs ??? w/Terrakion/Landorus
Opening Flip-I go 2nd again. At this point in the tournament I start setting up based on the assumption I’m going second.

Well, he flips over a Landorus along with the Terrakion and my heart SINKS. I really did not want to face mono-fighting to end my day.

I luck out though. I get an extremely quick setup while he struggles. While he tries to setup a Landorus, I catcher KO an Exp. Share’d Terrakion to avoid facing a retaliate. He Catcher KO’s an Eel with Gaia Hammer the next turn, but unfortunately for him, he ended up having to attach a DCE to pull off the attack, which results in me being able to use a Mewtwo with two energy to KO the Landorus. Since I’d used Portrait earlier in the turn, I knew that there was no way (short of him top decking something) he could KO me.

He fails to top deck anything, and is forced to send a Terrakion to stall. He benches another Terrakion+EXP Share+attaches Fighting, so I Catcher, Switch, Pluspower, and Bolt Strike for the KO, leaving him without energy. After I 2HKO another Terrakion with Outrage, he is able to Retaliate, bringing us 4-2 on prizes.

Since I can’t one shot the Terrakion, I simply use my own Terrakion to make sure I win the prize exchange. Next turn he Catchers+Land Crushes a fully charged Zekrom to make it 3-2.

However, on the previous turn he had benched Mewtwo+Fighting, with my bench containing a Mewtwo+Two Energy. I Juniper with a Catcher and two Junk Arm still remaining in a ~14 card deck. I hit the Catcher, Dynamotor x2, retreat, and X-ball for the game.

4/1

Phew, done with Day 1 with my traditional R1 loss out of the way. By my calculations, I had pretty good resistance and simply needed to go 2-2 to make Top Cut on Day 2. At this point MI had 2 Seniors (Andy R aka DurantEatsChildren/Josh F aka Pikajew1213) 5-0, and Zackary A+myself at 4-1, so we were poised to make a run at Top Cut.

I go back to the hotel and eat pizza for dinner, then go back to the convention to watch the Professor Cup and talk to people. After that it’s onto Day 2…

Day 2: Swiss 6-9/Top Cut Through 32

Wakeup, eat, and head over to the Convention Center early since we started 15 minutes prior to posted time last year… Too bad they felt like maintaining that time this year.

Round 6 Orrin N w/Mewtwo/Terrakion/Thundurus
Opening Flip-What do you think? (2nd)

Sooo, I played next to him during Round 4, so I at least knew what he was playing, and I was somewhat scared.

He chooses to not show until ~8:59, avoiding the “Can’t win on time” thing, but still taking enough time to shuffle. Since I wasn’t exactly concerned about time in this matchup, I just stayed quiet and let it go…

He decides to pile shuffle my deck, which really doesn’t matter to me, but in the end I cut myself a horror…

Lone Tynamo vs this deck was not what I wanted. I knew I had to go first to survive since I suspected he ran 3+ Mewtwo, but unfortunately I flip tails. We flip our basics, and he looks at my Tynamo in disbelief. He flips the Mewtwo and throws down the DCE, and after ½ an hour of waiting, I lose without a turn.

Well, at least my deck got that whole “Lose the 1st round of the day” loss out of itself.

4/2

Andy continues the undefeated streak, Josh gets a Game Loss for playing two supporters, and I fall to 4-2. Oh well, I still can take one more loss and still cut.

Round 7 vs Henry P w/Darkrai/Terrakion
Opening flip-Second again, etc.
If there was one person I didn’t want to play this round, it’d be him. Ended up being a…unique…game however.
I start lone Tynamo again, and as we setup he makes a comment “Come on lone Tynamo!” I just mentally prepare for the loss, and likely missing cut due to my tiebreakers coming from 0-1, then 4-3.

We flip our starters, and he starts Smeargle to my Tynamo. He Dual Balls+Junk Arms for Dual Ball, getting a head a piece, grabbing Terrakion and Darkrai. Dark Patch to attach to Darkrai and Portraits my Juniper. He draws another Smeargle, which he benches, as well as drawing a Fighting Energy he attaches to Terrakion. Shaymin+a way to retreat and its GG. He attempts to SSU and succeed in picking up Smeargle. Portraits Juniper, just needing a Shaymin. Of note, the Junk Arm earlier had involved dumping a Catcher, so if I survived, he definitely would be short resources. He whiffs the 2nd Portrait’d Juniper, so he plays out the cards he could, and Junipers for his own supporter, and finally hits a Junk Arm for Dual Ball. Junk Arm’s something along the lines of Switch and Catcher (Definitely got rid of 2/3 Catcher via Junk Arm on Turn 1)

Tails.

Tails.

With a 4 card hand, he shakes his head and passes. To summarize-

He Juniper’d 4 Draw Supporters.
He milled 21 cards off his deck Turn 1.
He Junk Arm’d twice, discarding a Catcher each time.

If I had a chance, it would involve completely exhausting his resources.

Unfortunately, my deck seems unwilling to cooperate. He gets up by 4 prizes via destroying my field, and by the time I’m in a position to take a KO, it feels far too late to ever make a comeback. It only got worse when with 0 Junk Arm used and a 25ish card deck, I Juniper into absolutely no Junk Arm to use my Pluspower to Retaliate the Eviolited Darkrai. At that point, it felt over.

However, what was very beneficial was his resource abuse early on. He had only ever built up a single Darkrai, and with 3 Dark Patch, 4 Junk Arm, and 3 Catcher used at the time of my Retaliate, he was left with a lone Terrakion to finish the rest of the game after I killed Darkrai. With roughly 13 cards combined between hand/deck, he was also close to decking. On his turn, he N’s himself to two cards and myself to six. Once I finally kill the wretched thing, I draw my prizes and they end up being two Junk Arm. -_-… Would’ve helped to have those earlier.

He is left with the lone Terrakion to attack, along with his Smeargle, and with me having made my hand Supporter free, he was without much option. He is able to Retaliate for 70 to my Terrakion, but I am able to get the 3rd energy to Land Crush. It was a gamble, but having Portrait’d his hand the turn before he N’d, I figured he didn’t have the last fighting in deck/didn’t run it. He actually did have it, so it must have been one of the ~3 cards in deck at the time of my Portrait. I promote Zekrom, cleanse my hand of any supporters, and Bolt Strike, leaving him the lone Smeargle. He draws, and Portraits. Upon failing Portrait, he shakes his head in total dismay; losing a game he almost won turn 1…

5/2

(Turns out Henry whiffed 6/3, so losing there would’ve likely meant I’d have whiffed)

Andy keeps the streak going, Zackary loses, Josh wins(?)

Round 8 vs ??? w/Terrakion/Eelektrik/Zekrom (mirror)
Opening flip-I go first!!!

What a shocker, I go first! Unfortunately, my going first really didn't matter since I drew, Oak'd, and passed. Other than getting the first chance at Eels, he mines well have opened.

Well, we setup as expected, but he gets the leg up on me by a single prize. We continue a prize trade, but I mentally can't come up with a way to win. He did Turbo Juniper/Portrait early on, so he was close to decking most of the match.

I do what I can to draw prizes, drawing 2 for 1 Terrakion to even it up, but I have no way of killing his Terrakion. Right when I feel I have no way back, he falls into the mind game I setup and Portraits a Juniper, which decks him out since he can't gets card's back or draw 2 prizes that turn.

6/2

Andy is 8/0, myself, Josh, and Zackary are all 6/2. I feel pretty good about making cut, but it would help if I won the last match.

Round 9 vs ??? w/Darkrai/Tornadus
Opening flip-Back to 2nds
It's a matchup I like, so hopefully I can pull it out!

He gets a lead off my slower setup, but I even it up with my EX for Regular trades. Tornado/Darkrai have him a 3 prize lead, but I was able to bring a Zekrom and a Terrakion to help my situation. The game state ended up with us being tied 2-1, his favor, with my undamaged 2 Energy'd Mewtwo in active vs his fresh, charged Tornadus EX in active.

Now, I don't know what I'm thinking when I make this play, but it was clearly not smart. Last turn he had Random Reciever'd into a Juniper, so I make the call to retreat and Portrait, thinking I might be able to get the energy+Junk Arm/Switch to get out of active. I juniper into 7 energy and lose because I got greedy/made a stupid play. Oh well, I still feel pretty sure that I'll make Top 64.

6/3

So, my mom rushes to A&W on the lunch break to get food for us, while I wait for standings. I come in 49th and will be facing a player I've seen in MI a few times, Spencer L.

Top 64 vs Spencer L w/Darkrai/Tornadus/Mewtwo
Flip-I go 2nd G1.

Sadly, my memory is more foggy on these, so they aren't quite so detailed.

Game 1-
Looking for some sort of epic comeback like I had vs Henry in Round 7? You won't find it here.

I keep up with his explosive start (Misses the switch for T1 Night Spear), but ultimately, when we were tied 3-3 I Oak into 6 energy (3 of each for those curious), and he has nothing for me to portrait. I lose from there as I top nothing for the rest of the game.

0/1

Judge absolutely loved me for not hearing some phantom announcement about calling them to mark next to the name of who won G1/2 and then got bent out of shape because I had already marked it...

Sorry, but not my greatest playing experience ever...

Game 2
This was more like it....Optinal serious for both of us.
Me-Bench lots of little eels, ready to evolve.
Him-Blow Through for KO
Me-Evolve Tynamos x2, get Zekrom. Bolt Strike, KO.
Him-Night Spear, KO
Me-Retaliate, KO
Him-Night Spear, no KOs
Me-Land Crush, KO

GG

1/1

Game 3
Ahh......See G1. For reference/what was different, heres how it went down-
Basically, he gets setup much to fast for my field to cope, and I end up losing when I get N'd down to 3 and they end up being energy...

1/2, 6/4

Result:3 CP

Andy and Josh lose in T64 as well, and Zackary loses in T32. Overall a good showing for MI, and one I hope we can improve on next year!

Rest of Day 2/Day 3

I spend this time running the math on CP and getting results on Top Cut matches so I can figure out if the World's invite is safe by virtue of my 3CP earned. After a few hours of math and general frustration, I determine I would be 24-27 (Ended 27th!) and my brother would be 33-37 (37th), meaning both of us would have Worlds invites! (I was the one sitting with a Laptop behind Juniors Top Cut on Sunday, FWIW)

Around 2:15 I get down to the hall to do my steady stream of updates on finals (I'd love feedback on how those could be improved, by the way. Ideally I'd be playing, but if not, I'd love to know how I could best keep those at home informed), then head back to our hotel and pass out. Greeted by a fire alarm at 4:30 AM followed by a really loud announcement that it was a false alarm. Pack, and get home, checking every second for CP to be updated.

Finally, at 11:00 this morning, I got the confirmation I wanted...Hawaii here we come!

Props-
T64
Worlds invite
Mom for well, everything.
MI for putting 4 into T64.
Mostly nice opponents
Mostly smooth tournament.

Slops-
Losing to a deck I felt I should beat 9/10 in T64.
None of the MI players going deeper than T32
Matthew/Charlie U, Ben G, and James S not doing so well.
Alex missing Juniors cut going 5/3
Wes R- same reasons as Alex

Thanks for reading, and I'll see some of you in Hawaii for Worlds!

Excuse me sir i won round 8 :p

---------- Post added 07/03/2012 at 11:01 PM ----------

Also nice report and now that i have Tom breathing down my neck and you realizing when i have a good deck i can win i will never again be allowed to play just for fun again will I?

Excuse me sir i won round 8 :p

---------- Post added 07/03/2012 at 11:01 PM ----------

Also nice report and now that i have Tom breathing down my neck and you realizing when i have a good deck i can win i will never again be allowed to play just for fun again will I?

K, I'll point out I told you repeadetly not to play VVV; it wasn't just him that caused the deck choice. Not to mention its not like I ever actually gave you a list, I just told you what was bad about the one you had.

Chris I didn't say it was just him I thanked you did I not and what are you talking About!

---------- Post added 07/04/2012 at 11:30 AM ----------

What I said was that now (now meaning after nats) u guys know I can do good therefore will not allow me to play joke decks again (ie vvv with 3 EXs)

Back