Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

iBook probelms --- again, lol

Ardoptres

OK, so i got myself a new G4. (well, it's still a used one, but it seems to be as perfect as it can)

I just can't get the new OS X. To install my Office package, iTunes (new version) and stuff like that, I need the 10.4.9 version or newer. (i have 10.3.9), but the comp keeps telling me that it can't find any updates.

Does anyone know how I can get it? CAN I even get it?

Thanks in advance. :D

OK, so i got myself a new G4. (well, it's still a used one, but it seems to be as perfect as it can)

I just can't get the new OS X. To install my Office package, iTunes (new version) and stuff like that, I need the 10.4.9 version or newer. (i have 10.3.9), but the comp keeps telling me that it can't find any updates.

Does anyone know how I can get it? CAN I even get it?

Thanks in advance. :D
The newst you could support is 10.4.11, I think. Depending on your model and hardware, you might not be able to get and higher than what you are at now.

You can go to www.apple.com and do a little exploring and see if you can find an answer there. You can also set up an appointment with a "Mac Genius" at your local apple store through the website or at the store. They can tell anything about any of your apple product related questions.

To upgrade from 10.3.(anything) to 10.4.(anything) you'll need to buy 10.4

I doubt Apple still sells 10.4, since 10.5 came out. Updates between versions are not free.

So you're saying that I probably won't be able to update at all? Eh, that doesn't really make sense to me. This comp cost $2000, and now I can't even use it. WOW.

I guess I'll have to go to the apple store if i'm gonna get this thing working the way i want it to, lol.

So you're saying that I probably won't be able to update at all? Eh, that doesn't really make sense to me. This comp cost $2000, and now I can't even use it. WOW.

I guess I'll have to go to the apple store if i'm gonna get this thing working the way i want it to, lol.
2000$ dollars!!!? What are the specs on your iBook? I bought one from my cousin for like 300$

I find it hard to believe anyone payed 2000$ for a computer with my specs (12-inch screen, 256MB ram, and 55GB of HD space.)

Even if your screen is like a 15-inch or even bigger I don't think it would have much better specs...

I can confirm that apple does not sell old OS's. :frown:

No no no. I'm saying you'll need to obtain a copy of 10.4. See if the Apple store can help you there, if not, try eBay or something. I'm sure you can obtain a copy of OSX 10.4 through many different means, just not through Apple officially, as far as I know.

Here's an alternative to OS X using the hardware you picked up:
Installing Ubuntu on iBook
Ubuntu is a great alternative if you cant get 10.4 or 10.5. Also, how recently did you pay 2000 dollars for an ibook? For that price you can get a MBPro today. Heck, you could get 24 inch imac for that price!

Ubuntu is a great alternative if you cant get 10.4 or 10.5. Also, how recently did you pay 2000 dollars for an ibook? For that price you can get a MBPro today. Heck, you could get 24 inch imac for that price!
That was my point.... I think he got ripped off!

Anyways, I'm not sure what else you can do about this really. Sorry.

First of, I did not pay $2000 for this myself, but back then, someone payed that. (i have the receipt, not that the price surprises me in any way though)

Almost everything here is about twice as expensive as in the US, so that's why the price is so high. My 24" iMac (the cheap one of them) also cost me $2000. the laptops are around the same.

And thanks drrty byl, I might try that Ubuntu thingy. :)

First of, I did not pay $2000 for this myself, but back then, someone payed that. (i have the receipt, not that the price surprises me in any way though)

Almost everything here is about twice as expensive as in the US, so that's why the price is so high. My 24" iMac (the cheap one of them) also cost me $2000. the laptops are around the same.

And thanks drrty byl, I might try that Ubuntu thingy. :)

I have to say, before switching to Ubuntu, try to acquire a copy of 10.4. Your system was designed for the Mac experience, and you should be able to legally obtain a copy inexpensively.

Does this include music suggestions from Steve Jobbs, iLife, and a black turtleneck?

No, but in my experience using Ubuntu is a completely different experience than using the Mac OS. If he bought a mac, I would imagine it would be to use the Mac OS. Dual-booting is an option, but hardly ideal.

Ever heard of dual-booting?

It's not possible to dual-boot into a black turtleneck, or run windows natively on a PPC.

That said, OS X is nice. It's the envy of interfaces everywhere. You buy the turtleneck; you buy the lifestyle.

Back