Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

If Anyone Cares...

toxicroak 96

I hope the title lured you, lol. I never post tournament reports but since its Worlds and I had a pretty solid last season as a Senior. This is a recap of my season and my World report. My name is Zach and I'm from Florida.

I never do well at BRs lol, so I started my season at a 1619 ranking. I managed to win one with Luxchomp and go 4-1 miss cut with Vilegar, the rest of these events were just meh for me.

I had a great start to the CC season by winning the first with LuxChomp 5-0 in Lauderhill, then finished second at Coral Springs the next day with Gyarados. This put me at about 1653 iirc. I then won the next CC
I went to going 6-1 with Gyarados in Winter Park, then going 4-1 drop the next day in West Orlando. I was at like 1699 now. I then won 7-0 in Orlando the next weekend with Luxchomp, then a 3-1 miss on Monday in Kissimee. My next 2 CC were a 3-0 in Ft. Myers with Luxchomp, then a 3-2 fail in Brandon with Vilegar, for the record I was donked twice in the 3-2 performance.

With States coming up I knew I was going to run Luxchomp again. I took it to GA and started the day off 5-0 in swiss, won my top 8 game pretty easily, then proceed to lose 1-2 to Brandon C with his Scizor on a surprise Black Belt drop on my Belted Luxray lv. X.

With Florida coming up, I knew I wanted to play Luxchomp again. I teched Driftblim FB and it managed to win several games. I my list ran inconsistent all day and I went 5-1 in Swiss only winning because my opponents decks were running worse than mine. My loss was to Uxie donk, I obviously was donked lol. I won my Top 8 game vs a Kingdra, then lost to Brian in top 4 1-2, I won game 1 with his 2 Chomp Xs prized. I misplay early on game 2 and lose, and game 3 draw complete garbage.

I barely tested for Regs but went with a consistent Luxchomp build with Roserade GL and Driftblim FB.
I started the day 4-0 and then was donked by a Jumpluff/Zone. Then in round 7 I lose to Brian in a close game. I was 5-2 make the cut and beat my buddy Alex's Vilegar 2-0, then beat the tough Andres A with Vilegar. Andres is imo, a really solid player and will dominate Seniors in the upcoming years. I managed a 4 prize comeback against him by BLing his Plume, Roseradeing it, then sniping the bench. Game 2 he could not set up and I won. I faced Cote in top 4 and managed to beat his Vilegar 2-0 in 2 pretty quick games. In top 2 I faced Brian again. I donked his Q in game 1. Game 2 he had an advantage most of the game, I belted a Luxray to force myself behind, to use a Twins. Its 2-1 in his favor. I see my only out when I check his discard seeing he has no Cyrus left and has used 2 Poketurn. I Twin for Garchomp X and DCE, and use my other Luxray X the BL the Bronzong sitting on his bench and Roserade it, He whiffs on the Poketurn seeing as he had a pretty thick deck, and I sniped for the game with Chomp. It was a really GG, and gave me a win at Regs.

I attended 1 BR and decided to go with Vilegar, I went 0-1 drop because I prized like 4 energy and whiffed on Psychic the entire game.

Going into Nats with a HGSS on format, I thought that Magneboar was going to be a strong choice. In testing it beat Donphan/Mega and Typhlosion. Then Canada happened and I began testing Yanmega/Zone. When I got to Nats, I started testing with Orion, Jorge, and Sanchez, and we all grew to love the deck, tweaked it and ran it. I had 2 byes from Regs, then got lucky enough to donk a Reshiboar with Tyrouge, and Andres with Tyrouge. I then won a close game against Donphan/Samurott/Zekrom. I started day 1 at 5-0. Then AMT beat me after I started Dismal and a Cleffa stayed asleep for several turns. I then got donked Stetson R. I dropped at 5-2 really 3-2 seeing as I thought the cutoff for pts was going to be really high, when I only lost 10 pts putting me at 10th with 1852 ranking.

For my first Worlds it came down to whether I wanted to play Stage 1, Typhlosion, or Yanmega/Zone/Kingdra. I didnt like Stage 1's matchups, and had not played enough with a new Yanmega list to feel really comfortable playing it at Worlds, so I went with Typhlosion.

Rd. 1 vs Miloslav (CZ) with Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark

I start mediocre, and bench a Cleffa, which he Reversals and kills with Tyrouge. I really needed that Cleffa to set up. I did manage to get a Typhlosion out, but I had no supporters or energy, so I got beat really bad here. GG Congrats on Top 16.

0-1

Rd.2 vs Jonas E (Denmark) with Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark.

Jonas starts bad, I start really good but have 2 Quilavas prized. I manage to get 2 out via RC by using Ninetales to get everything I need. His bad set up just allows me to run through. GG Jonas, had fun playing Pokemon Rumble with ya.

1-1

Rd.3 vs Thomas (US)with Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark.

Another cool kid, I start well and just overpower his weak field, I think he might have gotten 1 attacker out, and I managed to get set up really well and ended up benching him. GG Thomas, nice to meet you

2-1

Rd.4 vs Brian (US) with Yanmega/Mew/Muk/Crobat/Vileplume/Jirachi

Brian was a pretty chill guy, I start decent and manage to take the first prize, but he gets Muk going and Plume before I get Typhlosions going. I got 1 out and he just Sludge Dragged it, which led to my only Typhlosion dying, At this point, he just Sludge Drags everything while I have like no energy and kills all my Cyndaquils and stuff. GG Brian, cool to meet you, congrats on Top 8.

2-2

Rd.5 vs Jakob (Denmark) with Magnezone/Emboar/Reshiram

He starts really well, so do I though. He gets 2 Zone and a Boar out on turn 3. We're having an Eeeeek war, which I ended up winning so I grabbed the first prize. He kills me then I 2 PP kill his Zone, we trade prizes for a while but he is up 1-2 now and his resources are dwindling. He has like no energy left, and time is low. I hit Zone for 120, on the turn time was called. He takes a long turn, before deciding to Switch to Emboar. I am pretty upset at this point, now knowing that he truly had no way to win and I;m going to lose a game I win on time. I have my last turn, and Topdeck my last Reversal, flip heads and kill his Zone. He then proceeds to deck out. GG Jakob nice meeting you. I felt good about winning but I do know that was an extremely luck deal there at the end.

3-2

Rd.6 vs Igor (PT) with Donphan/Zoroark/Dragons

Igor was a pretty cool guy, I am starting to get set up, but due to all these heads he's getting, I can only get 1 Typhlosion out. He is up like 2-5 I think, I then cut the lead by taking prizes. He gets Zoro out and manages to put it at 1, I kill Zoro, then Reversal kill the Donphan he was building. Now all he has is a Zekrom and Reshiram with 40 each on them, so I know he can just 2 shot me with them. I have a Reshi with 100 on it, so I'm scared he'll reversal it up. The prize count is 1-2 in his favor, He Junipers for 7 plays Reversal and flips heads. He had 1 card left in deck. If he had gotten tails, I would have just stalled with Typhlosion. He flipped 4/5 heads this game. GG Igor congrats on Top 32.

3-3

Rd.7 vs Olliver (US) with Kingdra/Yanmega/Cinccino/Jirachi (Gallade)

Olliver was a pretty cool kid. I go first and we both get pretty good set ups, he's flipping bad on Reversals, and we start a prize war. I kill 2 Cinccionos, right away and a Jirachi. He is out of DCE after the 3rd Cinccino. He drew about 4 prizes I think, and ran out of resources at the end of the game. He had 2 Kingdra prized too. GG Olliver sorry about the bad luck.

4-3

So I end my Senior career with a 4-3 at Worlds.

The next day I get 3 Catchers at the prerelease and had a great day overall. Worlds was a blast

Props
All of my friends, too many to name, you meet too many great people in Pokemon
Having a solid season
The staff for all the events this year
Ending Seniors

Slops
No prizes for me lol

Heya, this is Olliver, it was fun playing you, no need to apologize for the luck, that's pokemon. Too bad you didn't get top 32 :/

Even though you didn't make top, 4-3 is still an impressive record for worlds. Great job in the tournament overall! Too bad you weren't lucky enough to make top, but being a worlds competitor is still an impressive achievement that you should be proud of. After all, you were one of the few to represent the U.S. out of thousands in the most intense Pokemon competition in the year. I'm also glad to hear you had a good season and a fun event.

Good luck in masters!:thumb:

Back