Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

If only MF would stay... *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

well, it's too bad nintendo took over and we are losing all our favourites from the Neo blocks and LC (and possibly Expedition, Aqaupolis and Skyridge). At the league here in Mexico, we are going to leave MF with Nintendo cards allowed, following Wizards Rules, until Nintendo announces it's new format. I came up with this, by looking at the many Blaziken decks around my area, this is just metagame in Mexico:

Pokemon: 21

3 Totodile
3 Croconaw
3 Feraligatr (2 Riptide/1 Expedition)
3 Skitty
3 Delcatty
2 Paras
2 Parasect
1 Cleffa
1 Suicune

Trainers: 23

3 Elm
3 Oracle
3 Juggler
3 Double Gust
2 Switch
3 Gold Berry
2 Focus Band
2 Fisherman
1 Town Volunteers

Energy: 17

17 Water Energy

Startegy: Same as the well known Riptide, but with the addition of Delcatty, Delcatty is really good when combined with Gatr, you can draw cards from your deck, and help power up a big Riptide attack. Parasect is obvious. You may be thingin why use oracle without bill, well, delcatty just acts as a bill, and gives you a third card. The problem with this deck, is it sometimes goes too fast, and I deck myself, but the possibility of drawing up 14 cards per turn is really tempting. The trainers are just self-explanatory. I'm a little low on energies, but I've found 17 work well here, plus the two fisherman I've got. The Expedition Gatr is to counter Muk, but he really isn't played in Mexico, remember this is pure metagame for Mexico, Fire is the dominant type, and absolutely no-one plays Muk :). Opinions, fixes, awards? Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Mudkip

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad, but why use Fisherman? Since having more Water Energy in the discard only helps your Riptide 'Gatr, pulling it back could hinder your strategy! I would drop a Delcatty for another Cleffa, then drop the Fishermen for a second Town Volunteers and a Water Energy. Another idea is to make sure you're using the Totodiles with Rage, and add some Memory Berries. A damaged Feraligatr using Rage is a beast to be feared. Decking too fast, you say? Strategic use of Town Volunteers, Elm, and Cleffa should fix that.

Fisherman is in there, because i know it takes water from my discard, but i can put it in the discard in two different ways: 1.- by Feraligar's power, and 2 by Delcatty, I use Fisherman, bring up 4 waters, discard 3 of them using my delcattys, drawing up to 9 cards, and just downpour the forth one :) it is there to recycle energies with Delcatty, and also, because if 1 Gatr is ko'ed, i usually have 11 waters in the discard, plus the 3 from gatr makes it 14, leaving only 3 energys in the deck, to power up the next one, without counting the energys that got stuck in the prizes... I think that explains :p I won't take out a delcatty, since they are really useful, and this deck needs atleast 2 to be played to be effective, and playing 3 increases the chances of getting them. I don't really know what to take out for the memory berry's, since I'm really tight on Trainers, Pokes and Energy, but I know it works well, since my favourite deck is Exp. Solo Gatr, and I use the Memory Berry's on him too. I updated the deck, and now it is faster than ever, it is a Turbriptide :p (can't think of a better name)...

3 Totodile
3 Croconaw
3 Skitty
3 Delcatty
2 Paras
2 Parasect
1 Cleffa
1 Suicune

Trainers: 22

2 Elm
3 Oracle
3 Juggler
3 Double Gust
3 Bill
2 Magnifier
3 Gold Berry
2 Fisherman
1 Town Volunteers

17 Water Energy

I added in Magnifier, since holo Sceptile is popular here in Mexico, and I need all my water energies in play, (3 for Riptide and 14 in the discard) to KO Sceptile, Magnifier just makes it easier to KO them). I'm undecided if I should use Magnifier or Focus Band, but Magnifier works really well against those decks, since they are the only ones that give me trouble.

Anymore comments, fixes?

Last edited:
Suicune's nice, but I'd consider dropping it for a second Cleffa. Your call, though -- I really don't know which would be better. Also, consider trimming the Delcatty line to 2-2 to add two more Water Energies. Remember that a Gatrsect deck does best with a higher Energy count than most decks. Or, use those two spaces for the Memory Berries. Too bad Recall isn't allowed in Modified -- best-case scenario for the Rage combo would be being able to hit hard with Rage, and heal some damage between turns. Of course, it does lower your draw power a little, so it's a hard call. This is looking like a very good example of Gatrsect.

Mudkip said:
well, it's too bad nintendo took over and we are losing all our favourites from the Neo blocks and LC (and possibly Expedition, Aqaupolis and Skyridge). At the league here in Mexico, we are going to leave MMF with Nintendo cards allowed, following Wizards Rules, until Nintendo announces it's new format.

Sure, we lost the MTs, and that's a bummer. I've met MT Jimmer and he seems to be up to MTM/DMTM standards in terms of love for the game and the players. But apart from missing the MTs, I don't miss WOTC. PKMN TCG was a stepchild to Hasbro and the Wizards higher-ups; the people who brought you no 15+, less promotion of PKMN compared to less popular games like MLB Showdown, Hairy 'poster, etc. are gone. The MTs really had a head for the game and promoting it; things were just turning around thanks to them, but you can tell how much WOTC valued PKMN by the fact they lost the license (It could be they were asked for too much, but it could just as well be that someone high up said, "Hmm, let's get PKMN cheap, if it does well, good, if not, we control it and it won't get to compete with DudeMasters, NeoPests, etc."). The one thing Nintendo hasn't shown any more promise for than WOTC is the Int'l market. There is still a chance for them to make a success of it and I truly hope they do.

You are more likely to keep MMF than you are to lose the e-block this fall, IMNSHO. Sept. format changeover was a WOTC creation (and a decent one at that). What if the changeover moved to early in the year? RS+Sandstorm is too tiny a card pool for a good format; and remember they are stressing the e-READER. Not good to dump the majority of e-READER cards. They could dump the Neo 1-3 or 4/LC now, I suppose and still have a decent format. I like having LC in though, as you'll see in my recommendation.

Now, so this isn't total spam...

I love the control of Oracle/Bill. You have a lot going on here, so more draw/search control is a good thing:

-3 Juggler
+1 Oracle
+1 Bill
+1 Town Volunteers

I wont drop the juggler, since i stated before, drawing 9 cards with delcatty, and 5 more with juggler gives me 14 all new cards, for the price of 10 :p this is more of a fun deck, than a competing deck. I will keep the Delcatty line as stated above, I added in Bill for the extra draw, not to combine it woth oracle, which still is another optiion, but it can be also cobined with delcatty. I refuse to play a second town volunteers, since i just dont like the card, one is necessary in all decks, to not deck yourself, but more than one for me is overkill. I will stay 1/1 with cleffa and cune, since they are both necessary, and cant leave one out. I am thinking maybe taking out the bill, for poke trader, since it will be easier to find the correct pokes, (even with the mass amount of drawing, i can't seem to get that totodile or croconaw when needed, but I always seem to have a Riptide in my hand...

Bulbasnore I agree, I only started playing this year, and will continue to play until the end, and after that. Although here in Mexico, the decks aren't quite what you would consider, viable, some people think of cool rogue decks, but in general, you see deck which contain 3 stage 2 lines, or pokes that dont support each other in any way. If I could go to a big event organized by nintendo (I'm rally hoping they organize a cool tourney for Gen Con next year). I will try to attend, since the metagame here just sucks, the decks just suck, winning 10 tourneys nearly in a row, makes this a bit boring. I really hope Nintendo promotes the game more here in Latin America, since Wizards made a big deal to let us have the League. As to the next Modified, thumbs up for LC-on (since i already got nearly all the RH trainers, and nearly finished my RH/foil deck, only missing like 10 cards)... More comments and fixes are appreciated :)

You could use some Switches, but I have no idea what to suggest you take out for them. The thing is, every card in this deck has a very good reason to be there. You could maybe take out one Bill, one Oracle, and possibly one Juggler for Water Energies, Switches, or Memory Berries, but that's it. Everything else should stay.

Mudkip said:
well, it's too bad nintendo took over and we are losing all our favourites from the Neo blocks and LC (and possibly Expedition, Aqaupolis and Skyridge). At the league here in Mexico, we are going to leave MF with Nintendo cards allowed, following Wizards Rules, until Nintendo announces it's new format. I came up with this, by looking at the many Blaziken decks around my area, this is just metagame in Mexico:

3 Totodile
3 Croconaw
3 Skitty
3 Delcatty
2 Paras
2 Parasect
1 Cleffa
1 Suicune

Trainers: 23

3 Elm
3 Oracle
3 Juggler
3 Double Gust
2 Switch
3 Gold Berry
2 Focus Band
2 Fisherman
1 Town Volunteers

17 Water Energy

Startegy: Same as the well known Riptide, but with the addition of Delcatty, Delcatty is really good when combined with Gatr, you can draw cards from your deck, and help power up a big Riptide attack. Parasect is obvious. You may be thingin why use oracle without bill, well, delcatty just acts as a bill, and gives you a third card. The problem with this deck, is it sometimes goes too fast, and I deck myself, but the possibility of drawing up 14 cards per turn is really tempting. The trainers are just self-explanatory. I'm a little low on energies, but I've found 17 work well here, plus the two fisherman I've got. The Expedition Gatr is to counter Muk, but he really isn't played in Mexico, remember this is pure metagame for Mexico, Fire is the dominant type, and absolutely no-one plays Muk :). Opinions, fixes, awards? Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Mudkip
Very few energy! Take out cleffa its too overrated!!!!!!!!
put in 1 recycle. only one focus band is needed for this deck.
1 more Suicune And then you have you self a deck :thumb:

Cleffa is not overrated. It is a surprisingly formidable stall and is powerful for getting cards. And you never want just one of a Trainer, unless it's Town Volunteers or a Stadium. Singles of Pokemon are usually not a good idea, but they are more forgivable, as long as it's a single of a Baby or Basic, or the Stage 1 in a Stage 2 line (provided you have Breeders). Which brings me to my next suggestion. For speed's sake, try replacing two of the Croconaw with Breeders. With a small amount of luck, you can get the full GatrSect combo going on turn 2. Of course, since Riptide costs 3 Energies, you won't have it available yet, but...

I wouldn't really like to use breeder, since although it does speed up the deck even more, i don't like it, since after i elm or something, i can't use breeder, but i can evolve if i have croconaw, it's just personal choice, since i won't be attacking until turn three, it's practically the same thing, with the amount of draw power in the deck, i could easily get croconaw and or breeder in my hand, this deck is just about speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back