Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I'll say "You're the Greatest" if you Help others...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue Archetype

Moderator <br> Contest Host
Ok.

I see that MANY of you are clueless about the concept of community and support.

Just about EVERY poor soul that wanders onto this site THINKING that they are SAFE to ask questions to improve their understanding of this game is met with a lot of sarcasm and/or a flaming of their thread.

WHO TOLD YOU GUYS THAT BEING A ***** MAKES YOU COOL ?? :nonono:

Guys, it IS possible to HELP each other instead of constantly tearing each other down and creating some sort of weird pecking order.

I REALLY want to believe that people are NOT inate buttheads... i really do.
But, everyday I'm losing hope for you guys.

It's rare that I see someone ask a simple question or toss up a random idea without the thread becoming the silliest exchange of arguments and petty sniping. (not even debate, just mean talk-ish arguing with derrogatory references and everything...:mad: )

What ever happened to just STICKING TO TOPIC and BUILDING a safe community that can be used as a RESOURCE for gathering good, insightful information? What ever happened to just helping one another?

It's like you guys take EVERY OPPORTUNITY to whizz on one another. It's SO juvinille.
And.. don't tell me "most people here are young ..bla...bla...bla" because I've taught 2nd graders who exhibit a higher level of dignity than alot of the "masters" around here who are supposed to have an understanding of .... (here comes the forgotten term)...
SPIRIT OF THE GAME. <== look that up.

Here's an Example that appoximates how threads go bad around here:

(the following was created for demonstration purposes)

Original post = "Why isn't anyone using MD Phione as a starter in water decks anymore? The ability to evolve the bench on T1 is amazing!"

Reply 1 = "because there are so many better cards that can do the same with a TM1 attached"

--- the first reply is usually OK but short and usually has some almost condenscending tone to it...

Reply 2 = Phione is a horrible card. Low HP and wastes an attack. If you're running a water deck like Blascatty, you'd start a Sabelye and just let Roseanne's set you up.

--- ok. Still sticking to topic. But, now we're trying to show-off a little and offer up a specific suggestion. Still good though. Still useful.

then.. it begins...

Stupid response #1 - "the random/useless comment"

Reply 3 = "why doesn't anyone start with Smeargle w/ a TM1 attached anymore. :biggrin:"

-- That's supposed to be cute; you know, funny. PLEASE Understand: You are not funny; you're annoying. Don't get it twisted. The attention that you're SO desperate to receive would be acquired (in a much better light) if you just gave well-intended answers.. more often. The more you help people, the more you'll stand out among the masses. So, the next time you find yourself trying to be CUTE... DON'T. You'll only end up looking like a donkey's behind... :rolleyes:

Stupid response #2 - The I'M BETTER THAN YOU ALL .. response...

Reply 4 = "Sabeleye is only good in Ttar. Nothing Else.
Don't even get me started w/ Smeargle. That was a typical noob response. TM1 is a dead card. There's Uxie draw, Rare Candy, and BTS that can get any poke evolved on T1 or T2 no problem. Honestly, am I the only one paying attention around here!?"

--- it begins... The previous two responders will take this as a personal attack/insult and, in a world where everyone just wants validating attention, retalliation is a must. But not just ANY kind of retalliation, we have to have the married couple kind... non-stop with a cup of randomness.

Reply 5 = "OMG! Sabeleye ONLY in Ttar? Are you kidding me?? Sabeleye is viable in about 90% (<== i love it when they hit you with the random statistic strategy :lol: ) of winning deck builds! Are YOU paying attention?! And who even uses Rare Candy anymore? With TM2 around, it's better just to use BTS and render your opponent helpless"

-- now the original poster is long forgotten ... :nonono:

Reply 6 = "Are you kidding me? What 90% of WHAT decks? Tell me 5 decks that use Sabeleye BESIDES Ttar. And who doesn't use Rare Candy that Top Cuts most of their tourneys? You should pay attention to your Deck Help thread... "

-- personal. and it goes on..

Reply 7 = "Hey you MORON. I was joking about the smeargle. And You're always talking like you know so much, yet you've never even top cut a CC. If you were SO GREAT and ALL KNOWING, why can't you actually win anything?"

-- R.I.P. original topic. Sorry original poster. Your thread has just been eaten by ill-intent and useless banter.

____________ End Flaming Thread example ___________

If you just CONTRIBUTE GOOD FEEDBACK to threads, people will, ultimately think you're great.
You're trying to BULLY your way into getting respect. It doesn't work that way fellas.

Be cool.... and everything will be cool. :cool:

Let's make this a safe resource that can be used for IMPROVEMENT and SHARING ok ?

Last edited:
Yeah but still it's good to point it out,

On the other hand, is it that hard to ignore unusefull post?

Being friendly/cool always is a good thing, if certain players don't want to act like that it says more about them and their own knowledge about the game than it says about the idea (thus start of the topic)

Cheers,

I'm just being realistic :[

But thats slightly unrealistic, being a jerk doesn't necessarily make you bad at the game, just a bad person :0

Yeah, but why nuture badness and cruelty?

If you're gonna take the time to read and reply, why not just answer the darn question eh?

For example, would a person appreciate something like this?

Question: Is Magmortar and Delcatty PT a good combo?

Answer: It could make sure you have energy to attach every turn if used in combo with a draw like Oaks, Cosmic Power, Uxie. But, it may be a little unnecessary. Now, if you use Delcatty PT AND leafeonX (Magleaf w/ Delcatty), then you'd see the benefits of that combo. Beware though, because that's alot of stuff on your bench (i.e. Claydol, Delcatty, Back up Magmortar, Leafeon). This will make you prey for Dusknoir Dark Palm and PalkiaGx lost zone (or even a Giratina X lost zone spread!). Nevertheless, once you get that guaranteed 2 energy for Energy forcing + healing from your Pokebody, you'll have an army of TANKs on the field that'll be hard to bring down.
Good Luck

RATHER than a condescending/pointless reply like this:

Question: Is Magmortar and Delcatty PT a good combo?

Answer: Not if you're a playing anyone who's not running a theme deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spirit of the Game is viable in like 90% of winning deck builds! And who even uses sticking to topic anymore? With T2 around it's better to just use building a community and render your opponent helpless.

Amidoinitrite?

Maybe people deserve the remarks they get for being stubborn, unwilling to learn or change, unappreciative, and argumentative?

The general posting population are people who are not adults, 18-. How much patience and lack of sarcasm can one really expect?

Spirit of the Game is viable in like 90% of winning deck builds! And who even uses sticking to topic anymore? With T2 around it's better to just use building a community and render your opponent helpless.

I got it. and it was Funny :lol:

"Amidoinitrite?" <== AHAHAHAHAHAA!!! Man ... ahahahaaa...

DON'T MAKE ME GET OUT MY LANTURN TECH ON YOU AGAIN MR. COMEDIAN!
:tongue:

Maybe people deserve the remarks they get for being stubborn, unwilling to learn or change, unappreciative, and argumentative?

The general posting population are people who are not adults, 18-. How much patience and lack of sarcasm can one really expect?

It's not always a stubborn teen that makes rude and unhelpful posts. Even people that are older then 18 can make sucky posts if they don't know how to behave or just simply don't know better.

I'm talking about random new people posting questions and arguments, when they are entirely ignorant and stubborn. What kind of responses do you expect to get when someone refuses to concede that their view is inferior?

Sometimes it is just bad to run those cards, and there's no nice way to get some stubborn person off of those cards besides just calling them what they are, bad choices, bad cards, TRASH cards, etc.

Answer

Because trying to understand someone else's point of view without judgement is a sign of maturity. Sadly, there seems to be a significant dearth of that here. (See post directly above this one as an example).

Secondly, as Glaucon's fable with the ring shows how people behave when they can do things invisibily, the internet=Glaucon's ring. (The fact this ancient fable still applies is amazing to me.)

Insecurity often breeds hostility and the only way people can feel good about themsleves is to play the peacock and humilate others. Comments stating people are inferior or stupid are examples of this. Since there are no consequences there is obviously no remorse, and giving someone self confidence will mot likely be achieved in an internet forum.

Lastly, giving constructive criticsm is very hard to do as it requires thought and effort. It is much easier to type a flippant reply. One way of showing respect is to spend some time to provide a constructive answer, and if you can't then it is better not to respond at all.

Last edited:
That's what good players typically do, afstandopleren. Notice why we have no pros writing deck articles anymore, etc?

Good players don't want to help bad players because not only are they bad, they are hellbent on being stubborn and never letting go of bad ideas.

Sometimes it is just bad to run those cards, and there's no nice way to get some stubborn person off of those cards besides just calling them what they are, bad choices, bad cards, TRASH cards, etc.

I think the issue that Rogue feels is problematical is that A LOT of posters seem to jump straight to the "your ideas suck, go away" stage of the conversation, rather than trying to actually teach them why their idea isn't currently viable. A lot of those "stubborn" individuals can't see wh their ideas shouldn't work, because in a vacuum they do work. Just not with the metagame. So, isn't it the responsibility of the older players (both in age and experience) to assist the younger players in learning what works and what doesn't. If they continue being truly stubborn and argumentative, then consider abruptness. But there's really no reason abruptness should be the first step.

I think this thread concerns both as they are both around. They exist, it's simple as that. Doesn't mean it's annoying when they happen in your threads.
And it's not for Pokemon related stuff either, there have been many good threads in the Random Topic Center been locked because of some people whining and flaming and posting stupid comments.

Back on topic, I still love this topic, cause it points all the good out.

However Pokegym as it is allready blocks words that can be offensive and have a great number of mods PM'ing you if you said something that wasn't necesery or out of the rules.

All in all, lets just make this a better place as it is now and act cool and ignore the posts who don't add anything.

Cheers,

I think the issue that Rogue feels is problematical is that A LOT of posters seem to jump straight to the "your ideas suck, go away" stage of the conversation, rather than trying to actually teach them why their idea isn't currently viable. A lot of those "stubborn" individuals can't see wh their ideas shouldn't work, because in a vacuum they do work. Just not with the metagame. So, isn't it the responsibility of the older players (both in age and experience) to assist the younger players in learning what works and what doesn't. If they continue being truly stubborn and argumentative, then consider abruptness. But there's really no reason abruptness should be the first step.

I can agree with this.

This is pefectly said.

This is one of the greatest rants i have ever heard...

I think Godzfirefly is right about the people going straight to the your ideas suck thing. and i think we should all try to reason with people before they ruin someone's question with useless flaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back