Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I'm So Bad(J/K) Several Masters AZ Reports

TOYBOX

The weeks before the battle road, I continuously had issues with what deck I wanted to play. Gyarados was looking good, but after I went 3-0 vs. it with Luxray, I changed my mind and tested random decks like FlyStall, BlazeRay, and FlyChamp. I wasn’t swayed in any direction, so I decided to use Flygon/Champ because of its good matchups against a metagame I thought would be filled with SP garbage and random Honchkrow dribble.

I arrived early to witness the piñata in all its glory and went on to put together my Flygon from a list I tested the night before while on redshark. I turned in my deck list and felt pretty confident with the deck overall, but I was disappointed by the shortage of players that day.

Round 1 vs. Gengar Queen
He opens with an Unknown G and Baltoy. He goes first and plays a Ghastly and attaches to it and passes. I draw, setup, time walk, and get things going, but I can’t draw into evolutions besides Claydol. So, I sand tomb the Unknown G. Next turn, he can’t get much and attach/passes. I draw, attach more energy around and sand tomb. This cycle continues until I FINALLY get a Flygon/Champ going strong. He gets a few prizes off Claydol and Uxie, which sets me back a bit, but I have a superior board and I proceed to Dark Palm his Queen with 3 energy, leaving him a bat, uxie, and gengar. I then KO his active gengar with Fly X and he flips heads. Next turn I OHKO the Queen he got back with Champ X, but I lose due to a previous Shadow Room on the Champ, which puts it in perfect range for a Psy Restore OHKO. gg

0-1

Round 2 vs. Blaziken
I’m pretty sure he was a newer player, but his deck seemed pretty O.K. overall I guess. He had nothing going so I simply used 1 Champ and benched him in 3 turns.

1-1

Round 3 vs. Beedrill
Such an annoying matchup. Before we started I figured the only way I could win was if he had a terrible start. And so, he flipped over two cards that weren’t weedle or baltoy. I started fast and got a lot going while he got Beedrills out and baited me with a basic so he could empty his bench. I mimicked him several turns with an Upper on several of my pokemon for the inevitable Band Attack. Well, we trade KO’s for a bit, but I let him stay ahead most of the game so Upper can take affect. He gets frustrated tries scooping, but I told him to play it out. He ends up winning on time when I could have decked him next turn..Nice guys never win. gg

1-2

Round 4 vs. Gallade/Luxray
He can’t get anything so I just take out and bench him.

2-2

Round 5 vs. Luxray/Honch/Gallade
He donks me with Honchkrow. UGH. Not a very gg.

Empire Games 10/2/09

After my horrible mistake of changing decks last week, I decided to pick up ol' faithful after continued success against multiple matchups like Bee's, Gyarados, GeChamp, and SP Mirrors. To let you all know, I played a stripped down and edited version of Takuto Itagaki's genius SP deck which features Luxray, Honch, etc. I was very familiar with it and decided that I would never leave its side again.

Round 1 vs. Alex w/ DPG
I had an OK setup with Sabeleye to his full SP bench on T2 which kinda irritated me. Though after 3 Impersonates, I was confident that with a few tricks I could pull it back together. So he immediately goes for aggro Gallade and fills his bench with Uxies, Azelf, and other things besides Dialga. So I figure I'll bait him with a Mewtwo, which he quickly tries to find an answer to. He ends up getting one out but I never intended to attack with the thing, it was more of an intimidation factor than anything else. A form of 'mental' play I went for after reading Phazon_Elite's BR thread. It did work, and he wasted a vital E-Gain on the thing which prevented him from OHKOing me with Gallade. We exchange prizes evenly for awhile until I OHKO his lone Gallade with Uxie X. Next turn he Second Strikes, but before that he notices his bench is open for my Luxray to Bright Look. So, he goes for the Power Spray. So I bring up Lux, attempt to Bright Look, it fails. Then I play Honch, E-Gain, Dark, and Target his Uxie which had 30 damage on it for game. gg

1-0

Round 2 vs. Chris w/ PLOX??
I felt pretty bad when it flipped that he was going first. He starts with a lone Ralts and Future Sights me, attempting to 'screw' my hand over I guess. I go SP Radar x2 get Honch and Crobat. Drop stuff for Uxie, PokeTurn the active Lucario and double bat him for Target Attack KO. gg

2-0

Round 3 vs. Tony w/ Dusknoir
He starts with lone Azelf to my Honch start with a pretty good hand. He goes first, and passes. I go, attach dark, do stuff and get Uxie to Setup for Rosy's and Poketurn. Then I go Honcho Command since I didn't get the donk for another Poketurn and an SP Radar. He attaches and Lock Ups. I go and triple bat for Target Attack KO. gg

3-0

Round 4 vs. Jacob w/ Gyarados
I get no supporters or anything worthwhile until about T5-6. He sweeps me, but I make a game out of it later and ALMOST win after he makes a few misplays which lets me go down to 2 prizes to his 1. Oh well, we both make it in. gg

3-1

Top 4 vs. Sam w/ GeChamp
I knew going into this that no matter what deck he was playing, I'd win on skill alone. He just makes too many mistakes, but he did give me a run for my money early on. He gets going quick and takes a 2 prize lead by OHKOing things with Champ. I Toxitank, but he rolls 3 heads and I'm in a bind. So, I stall with Uxie and Psy Restore. He goes, sets up other stuff and Take Out. I go, bat his Claydol with 70 on it for KO. Then I OHKO his Champ on the bench that I hit earlier with Lux. He eventually loses steam after Claydol was KO'd and I mop it up. gg

Game 2 wasn't even a game. I would describe it as a complete massacre, a genocide. I'm not going to lie here. I get Honch out and take 4 prizes before he gets an evolution up. He wastes resources sooo early like 4 PokeTurns just to ATTEMPT to KO my benched Croak. Power Sprays every turn don't help him much either. gg

Top 2 vs. Jacob w/ Gyarados
I was determined to redeem my bad hand and I knew I could win, I've tested the match up a million times. I get an amazing start with Luxrays, Lucario and everything I could ever want in my hand to keep fresh Luxrays coming left and right. I Impersonate a bit until I'm set. He prizes a Karp so I double spray his Azelf when he Time Walks and then SSU's it to try again. Constant Luxrays were too much, he only OHKO'd 1 time against me. gg

Game 2, I was tired so I prayed for the donk. And as I draw, I get Uxie, Dark, SP Energy, SP Radar, SP Radar, Moonlight, and something else to my Azelf start. He goes first with Sabeleye and Impersonates. I draw the Crobat, lol. I drop it, drop the Moonlight, SP a Honch, attach, then Uxie for Cyrus, and something else. I get the E=Gain and Radar the Bat for game. gg

And there's my first VM of the season. cool beans

Props:
-Nithing

Slops:
-Everything

Last edited:
lol whenever you donk your opponent's with honchy it's gg but if they donk you you don't like it. ;)

well done on winning your first victory medal.

lol whenever you donk your opponent's with honchy it's gg but if they donk you you don't like it. ;)

well done on winning your first victory medal.

It had less to do with the donk, and more to do with WHO donked me. lol I wouldn't be upset if it was anybody else.

@Jeremy: I'm going to continue it with today's BR and then I'll write the pinata stuff.

Back