Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

In Order to Form a More Perfect Union: part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaming_Spinach

Feature Editor
Please read this whole post before you respond.

Thank You.

I’ve been thinking over the past 4 days (and trust me, when you’re painting a house 10 hours a day, you have a lot of time to think) about the various shortfalls of this game, and how we might be able to solve as many of them as possible with a few changes to the game.

If I could, I’d discuss this directly with Mike and Dave, but I don’t think they’d appreciate an unsolicited phone call from me. So I’m doing the next best thing and bringing this to the community.

What follows may border on listcruft, but with so many different ideas I’ve had over the past few days, I don’t see any other way to get them all down in an organized fashion.

Please remember these are ONLY ideas, and nothing definitive.

THE PROBLEMS
  • The players have very little say in the operations and development of OP. POP does run forums for the PTOs and professors of this game, but those who are primarily players have little or no contact with POP whatsoever.

• There are very few benefits for joining this game in comparison to other games. Think about this. If someone decides to quit Yugioh, and start another TCG, the only real TCGs they have to choose from are Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering. Why would anyone choose Pokemon over Magic as far as OP is concerned?

• The professor program is almost meaningless. Being a professor does not guarantee that you know how to make rulings or judge an event (especially since it is possible to cheat on the test). And, not being a professor is not evidence that you do not know certain rulings. So, what exactly does a professorship mean?

• Fair play and helpful attitudes seem to be at an all-time low. Anything that would encourage top-level players to help new players would certainly be beneficial in hooking those new players for a long time.

The last one is the biggest problem in my opinion, but I think that what I’m about to suggest can help solve ALL 4 of these problems to some degree.

MY SUGGESTION is this:

[del]Expand the professor program. It should have a beginning level (what we call professors right now), and an advanced level, which is for only those who give the most possible to the game.

You could (maybe should) have several levels in-between as well.

Which brings me to what I would expect for someone to qualify for the highest level of professor:.[/del] (Stricken to avoid confusion. -FS)

A mentor program where the best players are rewarded for giving back to the lowest levels of the game (league and such).

REQUIREMENTS
Bold are those things I think are absolutely required, normal type are things I think would be a good idea.
  • The candidate should have and maintain a 1800 or better rating. I believe that one of the keys to knowing rulings, and gaining a better understanding of the game, is to play at a competitive level. 1800 should be wholely reachable for anyone of a moderate skill-level.

• The candidate should help to run a league at least 6 times a year. Basically, forcing good players to help new players. The good players gain more experience in helping people and sharing the game, and the little kids just may become better players. Everyone wins.

• The candidate judges 3 or more premier events per year. A professorship is most of all a certificate to judge events (that’s really the only thing it is ATM). This one comes as just obvious to me.

• The candidate acts as a Tournament Organizer at least once per year. Again, just adds more experience to a persons repertoire of skills. Not quite as important as the ones above.

• The candidate helps demo the game (at a major gaming convention or something similar) at least once per year. Building on the ‘good players helping new players’ ideal, but in a slightly different context.

• The candidate submits letters of recommendation to re-affirm their intentions are only good. If someone helps in league, but is a complete jerk about it, then that shouldn’t count towards their requirements. This is pretty simple to understand.

That’s what I have as far as requirements go. It may seem like incredibly steep standards, but I figure a person should be able to accomplish all that in about 16 weeks. The other 36 weeks of the year can be spent however they want; as a LL, TO, judge, tourney player, on vacation, etc.

Still, those are some pretty steep standards, and the rewards for those willing to help so much should be well worth it. The below are only brainstorms, and are in no way a definitive list.

BENEFITS
Once again, Bold are those things I think would be hugely popular, normal type are things I think would be a good idea.
  • Extra POP packs each quarter. Probably the lamest (from my perspective at least) thing on the list, but it’s a possibility none-the-less.

• Optional Round 1 bye at any premier event. This has never been discussed before (to my knowledge), but I think it would be an awesome idea. A Round 1 bye is a free win, and pads your resistance slightly. Any competitive player would LOVE this, and be more than willing to help in League a few times in order to get this power. BTW, this costs POP no money to implement, so that is a major positive.

• Access to forums on the same (or close to same) level as the PTO forums. Or maybe just an extra board on the professor forums. As long as there is a theatre where the best players and POP officials can discuss the game frankly, it can only be of benefit to all involved.

• Special items in the professor store. A distinct possibility. It would cost POP more money, but the option is always there.

• Ability to judge matches in a tournament you’re participating in. I think this one is hugely important, probably the second most important on the list. Judges can be terribly overworked at small events. I think finding a way to allow high-caliber players to both play AND judge an event would be beneficial to almost everyone. Of course, any questionable rulings can still be appealed to the HJ. And, there would need to be some restriction on ‘scouting’ the competition; but that is done very easily. Again, this is one that costs POP no money to implement.

• Special promos, either given out at the end of the year, or when certain milestones are reached. People like promo cards. And, the higher the resale value, the more people like them. :wink:

• Rating Protection. Many possible ways this one could work. This one is very easy to understand, and again, costs POP no money.

• Possible Worlds Invites. The most important one. People like Worlds. They will do almost anything to guarantee an invite for themselves. This would be a very effective way of drawing the best players into this program. And don’t tell me that this is impossible because Worlds can’t be of undefined size. There are many possible ways to decide who can and who can’t play in Worlds. As long as the possibility is there, people will go for it.

That’s my idea in a nutshell. Basically, we want the best players in the game helping the newest players in the game, and getting something worthwhile in return. That’s what it all boils down to.

THE MORE PLAYERS WE GET INTO THIS GAME, THE BETTER OFF WE ALL ARE.

Last edited:
i doubt very much that ANY of the staff/judges at nationals and worlds have an 1800+ rating; does that mean none of them are 'worthy' of judging that event?

and i'd dare say the main reason they _don't_ have what you'd consider an 'easily attained' rating is because they judge/TO the events in their area instead of playing, so that OTHER players have events to attend...

btw, what games' OP has players giving 'direct input' into how that OP is run?

JMHO.
'mom

Hmmm...I like everything overall.

-Rankings/Tournament performance would not be good criteria for determining "Master Professors." Some of the best PLAYERS are absolutely clueless when it comes to rulings (ex: one of the more successful players IM'ed me a while back, asking if Metal applied before or after weak/res...riiiiight :/). This would be useless.

Other than that, you have several very doable ideas!

If they lower the age limit to 14, I would be happy to become a judge with those in place.

I would love to become a prof anyway, I know I can pass the test since I see every Q in ATM forums and haven't missed one in 4 months :p

Suberb article FS. All the requirements except for having a rating 1800+ and helping demo hit the spot. A program in where there are different tiers of judges/prof.'s is something I personally have been waiting to happen for some time.
One of the lower tiers however if someone is going to go about changing the current system, should allow for professors under 18 I think.

As much of a huge step as the ideas you suggested would do, however, I don't know if it would entice any more helpfulness from better players OR much more of a benefit from other tcg's.

This definately is pointing in the right direction, ideas I hope are or will be considered by those making the decisions for this game.

I like your ideas. They are quite doable. I mean if they lower the age limit to 14 or 15 or something around there,like Moza mentioned, more intelect and more talented players could probably impact new people, imo.

The description sounds more like a Master Player than a Master Professor.

Judging in a tournament that you are playing in can never happen. Too open to abuse. And even if there is no abuse, the appearance of abuse is too easy.

i like all the ideas except the one about 1800+. i know ALL the rulings [go ahead, test me] but due to the nature of the GAME, with all the luck involved, havent hit that while i have played more this year than ever before.

i'd dare say that if you were to look at the staff lists for nationals and worlds that the people on those lists ALREADY do those things listed in your 'requirements', other than the '1800 rating'. so there already IS a de facto group of the type you're suggesting...who already do those things without the 'carrots' on your list.

jmho,
'mom

i'd dare say that if you were to look at the staff lists for nationals and worlds that the people on those lists ALREADY do those things listed in your 'requirements', other than the '1800 rating'. so there already IS a de facto group of the type you're suggesting...who already do those things without the 'carrots' on your list.

jmho,
'mom

I haven't demo'd the game at a big event, though. I'm always judging instead.
Darn, I always miss these things by one requirement!

[*]The players have very little say in the operations and development of OP. POP does run forums for the PTOs and professors of this game, but those who are primarily players have little or no contact with POP whatsoever.

While I agree that a lack of input can be problematic, the OP in the end probably makes their decisions based on factors other than what players say(like the format for next year and stuff). Besides, the few POP folks who come here do a good enough job of communicating the general feeling of players I think.

[*]There are very few benefits for joining this game in comparison to other games. Think about this. If someone decides to quit Yugioh, and start another TCG, the only real TCGs they have to choose from are Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering. Why would anyone choose Pokemon over Magic as far as OP is concerned?

Tbh, I don't know too much of the MTG OP other than that they have some extremely nice prize options if you win something. But with that, you have to remember that MTG is a lot harder to be in competitevly with their price of cards and more in-depth game play. Pokemon in comparisson offers not-as-elaborate prizes, but at the same time is far easier to be competitive in. So regarding this, I'd think players chose more so of what game is easier to compete in and have fun in as opposed to the OP (unless you have lots of spare cash to dedicate, in which case OP might play a bigger role if you want a return on your investment into a TCG).

[*]The professor program is almost meaningless. Being a professor does not guarantee that you know how to make rulings or judge an event (especially since it is possible to cheat on the test). And, not being a professor is not evidence that you do not know certain rulings. So, what exactly does a professorship mean?

Just imo, most people take it either for the title solely and don't do much (which is why the Professor Program sweeps them out regularly), or they honestly want to judge and help people learn the TCG. Most of the times, I'd think you'd fall into the latter category if you actually want to help judge and make rulings.

[*]Fair play and helpful attitudes seem to be at an all-time low. Anything that would encourage top-level players to help new players would certainly be beneficial in hooking those new players for a long time.

I don't think it's just top level players you would need to focus on, but all players in general can help in aiding newbies to the game. Besides, if you only award the top level people for helping and forget about the rest, there probably would be resentment from the other players who aren't top-ranked. So in general, anyone who helps a new guy get the hang of the game should be rewarded.

Just imo, most people take it either for the title solely and don't do much (which is why the Professor Program sweeps them out regularly), or they honestly want to judge and help people learn the TCG. Most of the times, I'd think you'd fall into the latter category if you actually want to help judge and make rulings.

Not picking on you, but they don't regularly sweep out the lazy ones. Look at me. I did my time, helped set up a league showed up every week pretty much. What happened? Gotta kick you out because your not 18......what happened to the grandfather clause?
To get to your statement though, all they do is give you a test every year and call it a day. Anyone I'd think thats playes regularly would know enough of the answers on the test to pass.

THE PROBLEMS
  • The players have very little say in the operations and development of OP. POP does run forums for the PTOs and professors of this game, but those who are primarily players have little or no contact with POP whatsoever.

This likely won't happen. There's already a pretty darn good forum, where players express opinions and ideas, that POP checks fairly regularly. It's called the PokeGym. We don't have the time or the desire to build (and, most importantly, moderate) a forum that is open to the general public. We don't really have a need to either while a place like the Gym exists.

• There are very few benefits for joining this game in comparison to other games. Think about this. If someone decides to quit Yugioh, and start another TCG, the only real TCGs they have to choose from are Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering. Why would anyone choose Pokemon over Magic as far as OP is concerned?

Prizes, community, and barrier to entry to name three off the top of my head. Different people like different things, so they'll choose what they prefer. Magic OP and Pokemon OP have some very large differences, primarily in the three reasons I listed earlier.

• The professor program is almost meaningless. Being a professor does not guarantee that you know how to make rulings or judge an event (especially since it is possible to cheat on the test). And, not being a professor is not evidence that you do not know certain rulings. So, what exactly does a professorship mean?

The Professor program will likely be undergoing some major changes in the next 12 months. They have been in the works for about half a year now (in between the other projects that take up my time). I can't really discuss what they will be right now, because it's still in the planning stages. Sorry to leave you with that cliffhanger, but it's all I can give you right now.

• Fair play and helpful attitudes seem to be at an all-time low. Anything that would encourage top-level players to help new players would certainly be beneficial in hooking those new players for a long time.

How could we not be aware of this? It's a big topic of discussion around the office.

REQUIREMENTS
Bold are those things I think are absolutely required, normal type are things I think would be a good idea.
  • The candidate should have and maintain a 1800 or better rating. I believe that one of the keys to knowing rulings, and gaining a better understanding of the game, is to play at a competitive level. 1800 should be wholely reachable for anyone of a moderate skill-level.

• The candidate should help to run a league at least 6 times a year. Basically, forcing good players to help new players. The good players gain more experience in helping people and sharing the game, and the little kids just may become better players. Everyone wins.

• The candidate judges 3 or more premier events per year. A professorship is most of all a certificate to judge events (that’s really the only thing it is ATM). This one comes as just obvious to me.

• The candidate acts as a Tournament Organizer at least once per year. Again, just adds more experience to a persons repertoire of skills. Not quite as important as the ones above.

• The candidate helps demo the game (at a major gaming convention or something similar) at least once per year. Building on the ‘good players helping new players’ ideal, but in a slightly different context.

• The candidate submits letters of recommendation to re-affirm their intentions are only good. If someone helps in league, but is a complete jerk about it, then that shouldn’t count towards their requirements. This is pretty simple to understand.

Some of these seem entirely reasonable, and some seem a little overboard. Keep in mind that some of our top judges never have the opportunity to play in anything but the Professor Cup because they're too busy organizing events for you folks to play in. I really don't see BDS finding the time to run as many premier events as he does and maintaining an 1800 rating. :wink:

BENEFITS
Once again, Bold are those things I think would be hugely popular, normal type are things I think would be a good idea.
  • Extra POP packs each quarter. Probably the lamest (from my perspective at least) thing on the list, but it’s a possibility none-the-less.

• Optional Round 1 bye at any premier event. This has never been discussed before (to my knowledge), but I think it would be an awesome idea. A Round 1 bye is a free win, and pads your resistance slightly. Any competitive player would LOVE this, and be more than willing to help in League a few times in order to get this power. BTW, this costs POP no money to implement, so that is a major positive.

• Access to forums on the same (or close to same) level as the PTO forums. Or maybe just an extra board on the professor forums. As long as there is a theatre where the best players and POP officials can discuss the game frankly, it can only be of benefit to all involved.

• Special items in the professor store. A distinct possibility. It would cost POP more money, but the option is always there.

• Ability to judge matches in a tournament you’re participating in. I think this one is hugely important, probably the second most important on the list. Judges can be terribly overworked at small events. I think finding a way to allow high-caliber players to both play AND judge an event would be beneficial to almost everyone. Of course, any questionable rulings can still be appealed to the HJ. And, there would need to be some restriction on ‘scouting’ the competition; but that is done very easily. Again, this is one that costs POP no money to implement.

• Special promos, either given out at the end of the year, or when certain milestones are reached. People like promo cards. And, the higher the resale value, the more people like them. :wink:

• Rating Protection. Many possible ways this one could work. This one is very easy to understand, and again, costs POP no money.

• Possible Worlds Invites. The most important one. People like Worlds. They will do almost anything to guarantee an invite for themselves. This would be a very effective way of drawing the best players into this program. And don’t tell me that this is impossible because Worlds can’t be of undefined size. There are many possible ways to decide who can and who can’t play in Worlds. As long as the possibility is there, people will go for it.

Again, some reasonable, some not.

Judging an event that you're playing in is never going to happen. Way too much room for conflict of interest. I remember when the DCI allowed the 3-judge system for some of its games. Way too many issues arose from that, which is why they don't use it anymore. Great in theory, terrible in practice.

Byes and rating protection don't seem ideal either. The cost to POP is nothing, but I don't think that it's a route that we want to go down.

We already hand out Worlds invites to the folks that we feel are doing a TON for the game. Those invites are to work, not to play, but they're still paid for out of POP's pocket. Ask Meg45, or bulbasnore, or NoPoke, or Lawman what the best reward they've gotten for their work promoting the game is.

THE MORE PLAYERS WE GET INTO THIS GAME, THE BETTER OFF WE ALL ARE.

QFT

I think some of you guys need to re-read this line:

Basically, we want the best players in the game helping the newest players in the game, and getting something worthwhile in return. That’s what it all boils down to.

I'll be back to respond to everything after lunch.

imo, every one of us involved in this game we all enjoy so much have to make a choice: where do we direct our time and efforts?

towards being the best individual 'player' possible, or in giving back to the game by running leagues and judging events? work for the good of the many, or just for 'me'?

imho one can't do both at the level demanded in the OP. if the staff POP uses at it's most 'elite' event can't fulfill all those requirements due to time/circumstance/real life responsibilities, doesn't that tell you something?

those of us on staff for those events have made the choice to work _for the game_ rather than for our own ranking/rating. if everyone who runs the tournaments YOU are counting on to up your ranking decided to play instead in order to get that '1800' rating, who would be stepping up to fill those shoes and run those events? the 'best players'? really?

jmho.
'mom

I think some of you guys need to re-read this line.

No, I caught that. It's just not gonna happen. There's no way for me to know who is doing what if they're not in one of my programs. You can be the best player in the world, and go to league every week and teach all of the kiddies there how to be better players and I'd never know because you're not listed as a League Leader.

We don't have a mentor program like you're talking about, nor are we likely ever going to have one. I don't want to bribe the best players in the world to teach others to be the best too; they should have the strength of character to do that on their own without anyone giving them swag for doing so.

"What do I get for helping others be better players?"

How about the respect of the community?

How about the personal satisfaction of watching a kid who came to his first tournament for with a theme deck six months ago walk away with a City Championship medal?

If you're doing it for the right reasons, you don't need a shiny card from POP to make you feel good about doing it. Sure, it would be nice if we gave you one, but if its not feasible for us to do so, you shouldn't stop doing it because we can't.

I really respect what you're trying to accomplish here F_S, so please don't take it as me bashing you. I just don't agree with parts of what you're saying is all.

I think more worlds INVITES would be really sweet for players.

I am not talking about trips though. Since worlds is an invite only event, what if you were to expand the invites to like the top 100 or so in each age group gets an INVITE while the top 10 gets a paid trip as well.
I dunno, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back