Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Infernape 4 vs. Luxray 4

Ignatious

Think about it, they are both very strong SPs to consider in the up coming meta game. Assuming they are not used in the same deck, which would be the better play?

Infernape 4 can OHKO almost every SP in the game. With the aid of a single Crobat drop, the only SP pokemon in the game that does not fall victim to a OHKO is Palkia G, which does become OHKO-able after one spread attack. This brings up my next point on Infernape, it's spread potential. The power of 20-20 spread as early as turn 1/2 can devastate a lot of decks, specifically Machamp and Flygon. WHen it's late in the game, and time is almost called, Infernape can use its power for an easy prize, a huge advantage over almost every deck. Luxray can preform this as well, but it cannot use it at any given moment, like Infernape can. Being fire type, Infernape also handles Dialga G and Turtwig GL with extreme ease, but has almost an auto loss match up to a deck like Kingdra. A disadvantage of Infernape is the necessity of fire energy. It's big attack requires two, so there is no room for Call Energy or tech energy on him.

In short:
OHKOs Most SP
Spreads others into OHKO range
Easy prize advantage
Sweeps tanks like Dialga and Turtwig

Less tech options
Auto loss to Kingdra

Luxray 4 is a swift card, which can live up to its fullest potential on the second turn of the game. By leveling up, one can pull out a Baltoy, or other essential basic, and KO it to immediately start their opponent on the wrong foot. AFterwards, Power Sprays can leave an opponent helpless. With a strong attack for one energy, there is a lot of room for energy for techs like Quagsire GL, Houndoom G, Toxicroak G, etc. Luxray also has strong attacking options without its level X, unlike Infernape which can only do 50. As a result, the need for leveling up is reduced greatly, heck, Luxray LvX can be considered more dangerous when it's not in play, than when it is. Luxray can OHKO Palkia and Kingdra alike (Lake Boundary/Lucario GL), while falling to Machamp, which OHKOs with only two heads. Flygon also resists you, so your average damage becomes poor damage very quickly. It's power is also lack-luster in terms of fighting off a tank, as 60-70 damage wont achieve any desired results. True, some of these weaknesses can be teched, but too much tech will certainly slow the deck down.

In short:
Swift attacking
Greater disruption
Tech options
OHKO Palkia and sometimes Kingdra

Weak damage output
Bad typing to Machamp and Flygon

Discuss.

one of your cons is an autoloss to kingdra on infernape. there are 2 electric SP pokemon that can work pretty well here. raichu GL (infernape and crobat G can spread) and you hit for 80x2 (lucario GL). or luxray GL (70x2=140) they both OHKO kingdra with lucario GL in play. i like raichu better, but it;s personal preference.

i like luxray better though, as you can tech for both your autolosses with toxicroak's and 2 ditto's.

You should probably add that Palkia G is as tough a matchup for Infernape as Kingdra is. And both of the described cards/decks have major issues against Mesprit+Spray power-locking.

That said, Dialga G locking is something Infernape can get out of much more readily than Luxray.

Also, Alakazam 4 Level X+Poké Turn can make Infernape's spreading harder to accomplish while cards like Palkia G are hammering you.

Another point is that Luxray GL Lv X gets to choose which Benched Pokémon becomes Active, Infernape 4 Lv X does not. Power-wise, it's advantage to Luxray, I think.

As for which is over-all best, I'm inclined to say Luxray just because of the superior support. Sunyshore City Gym makes Luxray's Weakness/Resistance issues vanish, there are generally better electric support than Fire support currently (and always, from what I've seen :rolleyes:) and Luxray's abilities are better suited towards hitting some of the best Pokemon in the game for relatively high damage.

Infernape also needs tech to beat Machamp, and due to Infernape's specific energy cost, it's not always plausible to tech everything needed in it.

Also Luxray without tech has poor match ups against Flygon, Machamp, Dialga, and Turtwig. Luxray can fit more techs in, but also has more decks it needs to tech for.

*Silently points at Sunyshore City Gym and shakes his head* :nonono:

Flygon Discards them while becoming invincible. Depending on the timing, this blows that strategy out of the water. Machamp also runs at least 4 stadiums, with BTS and Stark being so incredibly good in the deck. Stadiums are not reliable unless you can effectively use them on the turn they come into play.

Ape can still use SP Energy to go along with other SP techs. I think Infernape would do best with little tech support, maybe just some sort of combination out of Crobat, Bronzong, ToxiTank, Dailga G, and Raichu. I think Infernape has the easiest time coping against Flygon/Mewtwo, since you can just sent it to the bench. If there's two out, drop Dialga G, wipe out one of them... and then Flygon either has to choose between Dialga or Infernape. Either way, you come out on top.

Luxray is by far one of the best disruptive cards from the new set. Even if they get Claydol out, it'll more than likely turn out useless to a Power Spray. Then drag it out, Skuntank it, and hit it for 70. Decks have such a tough time against a good Luxray build. I don't see how weakness is that big of a problem with Sunnyshore Gym... and it also gets around Mewtwo.

EDIT:

Just saw the above post. Flygon is a bad match-up, but the thing has a hard time setting up without a Claydol. How does it have a bad match-up against Dialga though? I always thought lightning types were the best counters to earlier SP decks containing Dialga/Palkia pre-RR due to resistance/weakness advantages.

Just saw the above post. Flygon is a bad match-up, but the thing has a hard time setting up without a Claydol. How does it have a bad match-up against Dialga though? I always thought lightning types were the best counters to earlier SP decks containing Dialga/Palkia pre-RR due to resistance/weakness advantages.

3-4 Special Metals ruin Luxray 4's day. Without fire tech, this can be a huge threat.

Assuming they are not used in the same deck,

Use them in the same deck. Its epic win. Last night I walled a Machamp deck by walling one with unown G, then began to find ways to continue to knock out the Machamps before they became threats.

Guy above me: Okay, I'll just Poketurn it and do it again next turn, that is, after I drop a uxie and draw lots of cards after you wasted Spray.

As far as solo goes, I think Ape is superior as an actual deck/attacker, because that snipe puts many things one step closer to KO, Luxray is amazing as a tech due to its ability to disrupt incredibly early.

I like these cards a lot, but I can only wonder at why you are hyping them...

Because together they make, IMO, the closest thing to a BDIF. Alone they are excellent attackers as well, or tech in Luxray's case.

I think that you can use Infernape as it's own deck, not the case with Luxray. Against other SP decks it's power is pretty much useless. It's attacks aren't that great. So it's best used as a tech. Which it's one of the better techs in the game.

I... fail to comprehend why Infernape sees play. Sure, he can do 100 a turn, but is energy heavy.

Not really. With Energy Gain it's 2 for 100. Sure you have discard those energies but the nice thing is there is Flint's Willpower to power it right back again. Or Brongzong G from other SP Pokemon. Then with it's first attack it sets-up "OHKOs". Or go back to spread like a Raichu D style But from a basic who has a few more tools then Raichu D had. A warp point every turn with the Lv.X having free retreat and the Power. The one thing that would have made it more broken is it's 50 attack had a bonus to it.

Back