Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Iron Chef: CaC (First Challenger Announced! STILL ACCENPTING CHALLENGERS!!!)

Cardzmaster2004

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
OK, so my first contest in the forums fell flat for one main reason: time. Most contests take time to put up. So I've been mulling over a low-management contest that could be long-running and ended whenever the participants wanted. And then it hit me.

Iron Chef.

I know, I know. The deck contest uses the IC format to an extent as well. But they don't really have Iron Chefs. They jsut have people competing with a secret ingrediant. What if we got the top CaCers in the forum and promoted them to IC status and had challengers come in and challenge them to a contest of skills using a theme ingrediant, varying depending on the Iron Chefs area of expertiece (jsut like the show)? I was thinking of these content areas:

Iron Chef Creativity (docuses on creativity but still scores on effectiveness)
Iron Chef Combo (with listed card or mechanic)
Iron Chef Technical (i.e. IC All-Around)
Iron Chef Thematics (with stated theme, not mechanic)

Those are some basic ideas. We'd have an open run-off for each position (the hardest part of the contest to judge) and then cut the field back to 3 competitors which would have a playoff similar to an IC challenge that their position would face.

Of course, each round would have a panel of three judges, just like the show. I would always be on the panel, but one other "guest" judge and a semi-regular judge (just like the show). Each round would be a four to five card mini-set around the secret ingrediate and each round would last about a week to 10 days.

here are the rules as currently stated:
---------------------------------------------

1. Challenging

a. A chosen player (Challenger) will post in the main topic which Iron Chef they wish to challenge in a 1-on-1 battle. That is the person who you will be battling with in the next week to see whose CaCing skills reign supreme.

b. To apply to be a challenger, simply PM me with a couple reason why you should be allowed to challenge the Iron chefs and a link to or some examples of your CaC work. From there, you will contacted again (by PM or IM) about becoming a challenger.

2. Sous Chefs

a. Procedure: 24 hours after the challenge has been issued, I will need a list of four names from both of you. This list is to include the "sous-chefs" you'd like to help you in the coming round. These people are the only ones allowed to post in your Kitchen topic (more on this later) and help touch up some of your cards. they cannot, however, create cards themselves (unless the round specifies otherwise). They can feed you ideas, mechanics, cost suggestions, cards suggestions, and the like and also fixes for your cards, but they cannot make any part of the card. Should I discover that a sous-chef has in fact contributed so much to the card that it is more or less their own card, I will disqualify the card from the round.

b. CONFLICTS: In the case that both players pick the same "sous-chef", the challenger will pick the number one or two when they submit their list of names. This will determine who will get first pick of their sous-chefs. Should the challenger choose “One”, they will get their first pick of sous-chef, but concede choices two and three to the Iron Chef. The reverse is true if “Two” is chosen.

c. QUALIFYERS: Anyone may be a sous-chef in a round with the exception of the following:

1) A judge for that round
2) Another Iron Chef
3) The most recently eliminated Iron Chef

3. Secret Ingredient and Preparation

a. After all sous-chef picks have been sent in, sous-chefs will be announced in the main topic. Then the “secret ingredient” will be revealed. Depending on the Iron Chefs area of expertise, the ingredient can range from the highly Technical (cards that include or combo with the attack Hyper Beam) to the highly Creative (All cards must include a reference to another TCG).

b. KITCHEN TOPICS: After the ingredient is announced, chefs and sous-chefs will go to their Kitchen topics and prepare cards for the mini-set required. In the Kitchen topics, ICs and Head Chefs may post ideas for cards, complete cards, or anything else they deem important. Sous-Chefs are only allowed to post ideas for chard mechanics, card critiques, and card fixes.

c. KITCHEN TOPIC VIEWING: Any person may view the Kitchen topics EXCEPT:

1) Chefs and Sous-Chefs from the opposing team
2) Judges for that round with the exception of “the chairman” (me).

Should any opposing chefs view their opponent’s topic, their set will receive a 75% point reduction when they are graded.

Should a judge view a topic, they may still score the round, but their scores will not be averaged in at the end. Should a judge for a round accidentally view a topic, PM me immediately for instructions.

d. Accidents May Occur…: Should either a Sous Chef, Iron Chef, or Challenging chef view their opponent’s topic, get out as quickly as possible and admit to it in your own kitchen. I know as well as everyone else that accidents do happen. But each time after that, a point will be deducted from your teams final score.

e. Submitting Food From the Kitchen: After you have put your mini-set together, the Head Chef will make a final post in their Kitchen topic including all the cards in their set. I will only take cards in your final post with no exceptions other than a complete board break down and it being put into view only mode. The possibility of this happening is so low, just don’t even test me on it.

4. Tasting and Judgment

a. Judges are announced at the beginning of the round before sous-chefs are chosen. The chairman (me) is always a judge in each round. The other two judges will vary from challenge to challenge.

b. Judges are still able to challenge Iron Chefs and judge but they cannot judge any more rounds if they beat an Iron Chef. They are allowed to judge rounds again after they complete the Iron Chef Elimination round (more on that later).

c. Judges will be given a rubric to judge both sets by. Since the judges are not allowed to access the Kitchen, judge’s will only be able to view the finished product in the the main topic. The mini-sets from each Chef will be posted as Dishes A and Dishes B to keep the author of each set anonymous and judging fair as well.

d. COMMENTS: Judges are required to comment on AT LEAST THREE (3) cards in each set. Scores are not to be posted in the forums, however. Judges will PM their evaluations to the Chairman (me), who will tally up and announce the winner of the battle.

5. Types of Challenges

a. Regular Challenge: An accepted challenger can come in and challenge any Iron Chef.

b. Iron Chef Elimination round: After the Iron Chef is defeated 3 times, his seat as Iron Chef will be put up for grabs. This round is conducted similar to the CLOSED Round of previous topics with invites being extended to only those challengers who defeated the Iron Chef.

c. King of Iron Chef tournament: The four reigning Iron Chefs and any former Iron Chefs who wish to will duke it out in a battle to see who really is the King of Iron Chefs. These will be conducted approximately once every 4 months. The winner of this tournament has the option of changing positions with any existing Iron Chef. If a former Iron Chef should win, they have the option of becoming an honorary Iron Chef (having their own category where the secret ingredient is very difficult to predict and not limited by topic) or playing another round and challenging one of the existing Iron Chefs in a final battle for their position.
--------------------------------

I'm currently searching out judges on my own. If you are interrested in being a judge, please contact me through PM or IM.
--------------------------------------------

Current Iron Chefs:
-------------------------------------

Iron Chef Creativity: ensignmerlin

Instated: March 5, 2006

IC Challenge Record: 0/0

Defeated by:

Dethroned: N/A

Iron Chef Combo: DragonSol

Instated: March 23, 2005

Defeated by:

Iron Chef Technical: Carrington388

Instated: March 17, 2006

Defeated by:

---------------------------------------

Iron Chef Thematics: ensignmerlin

Instated: April 4, 2006

Defeated by: Burninating_Torchic (win versus puyallup_phantom, only here for invite reminder)

--------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------
FORMER Iron Chefs:

puyallup_phantom (IC Thematics 1)

Dethroned: N/A (resigned during Challenge 1)
Record: 0/1 (Loss to Burninating_Torchic)
---------------------------------------------
~Cardz.

Last edited:
Sounds

Sounds pretty cool. IMO, I don't think you even need to have the Iron Chefs to "specialize" in any area, but again just my opinion. I'd love to at least compete for a spot.

Well...

Well, I was hoping for a bit more of a reaction than this, but this is just enough for me to justify opening up the first round of IC inductions. I've decided for the Thematics section to come first, followed by All-Around, Creativity, and Combo.

As for the suggestion for a Pic Faking IC, the way this contest will work once it gets off the ground more or less makes this impossible. For each round, a challenger or Iron Chef will be required to make a certain ammount of "dishes", or cards, ranging from 3-6. Because of this, I don't think Pic fakers will excatly be thrilled to try and create 4-5 cards per week to stay the Iron Chef. That, and I don't think there are enough Pic fakers in the forum to have enough challengers.

However, if you can prove me wrong, I'll be more than happy to open up a position as IC Pic-Faking. But as for now, sorry but no.

Thematics will be opening soon. Keep an eye out for it.

Quick Bump...

Yeah, I hate revivng half-dead topics, but there's not point in me making a new thread when this one is only on page 2. I'm bumping this to annouce the start of the closed round for Thematics and the Open round for the all around. Only the three people who competed in the Open round for Thematics are allowed to compete in the Closed round and anyone (including those in the Closed Round for Thematics) are allowed to compete in the Open Round. Hope to see y'all there!

--Cardz.

(EDIT: See the respective topics for tasks in each)

Last edited:
Another Bump...

Another bump just to annouce the start of the Closed Technical Round and OPEN THEMATICS round!

Also, there is a change in how I am going to annoucem winners of each IC position. Instead of telling you right away, you'll have to wait until the end of these preliminary rounds to find out who has won each iron chef position. As only one round has finished and I'll be starting the third of four open rounds ina few minutes, this shouldn't be a big suspense holder. Yet, I know some poeple will get ansy on results. So, here's how I'm handling it:

After each Closed Round, I grade all the entries posted and know the winner. After I determine the top 2, I post thsoe top 2 in the topic. For Creativity, that wasn't neccessary, as only two people completed the 4-card project. But I expect a better turnout for the technical Round, so I thought it would be good of me to annouce now how the winning of each topic will be handled.

Just as a quick side-note, this isn;t the first twist this competition will take. Many more twists and turns will come once we get past these premininary rounds and people may challenge the Iron Chefs in Card Creation Competition Supreme.

GL to all competitors so far!

--Cardz.

Well, with the lack of a turnout for the IC Creativity competition, I had no choice but to award the position to ensignmerlin. congratulations to him.

I am in the process of grading the Technical competition and am opening up the Open Combo competition at the moment. So stay tuned for more results.

PS. Ensignmerlin's suto-win in Creativity has caused a ripple to another IC catagory. See the first post for details.

Well, the lack of ANY entries in IC: Combo has put the category in jeopardy. I'm going to start the contest around Sunday with the three Chefs I have now, but I'm going to change the OPEN ROund of IC: Combo to a CLOSED ROUND and have entries still open to all of the CaC forum. However, don't post in the topic. Send me your combo card in a PM and I'll grade them all privately. If, by Saturday, I still have not received any entries, the position of IC: Combo will be given to an entrant into another one of the IC Open Rounds. No details of who that might be (as I'm still debating who to appoint to it).

INFORMATION ON Iron Chef Technical: OK, I did the grading over my Spring Break and had every intent on posting the scores right before I left for school again. However, I forgot to copy and post the results and grading (stupid Cardz, stupid Cardz *smacks self in head with Large Trout*). So, instead of waiting another month to post the results (the time it'll take me to have a chance to get back home and post the results), I'm just going to annouce the winner. congrats Carrington388, you're the first IC Technical.

I'll be posting information on challenging the Iron Chefs, how rounds will work, judging, etc. on Sunday sometime. I hope to be in contact with all of you soon.

--Cardz out.

Puyallup: Who gave you your job? And who can take it away? Thank you.

As for IC Combo, I again received only one entry in my PM. So DragonSol is your new Iron Chef: Combo. Congrats to him.

and now on to the real contest:
-----------------------------

(most of the information posted here is going in the first post, so just read through this to get the general jist of things. I'll go a little more in depth at the top)
-----------------------------

Congratualtions, Iron Chefs. You have battled you way through the prelimonary rounds to gain the seat as the "top" in your area of CaCing. But I think that there are others in this forum that think they may be able to do as a good a job at CaCing as you, if not better.

So now the challenges begin. Since I'll be a little less stressed in the coming weeks, we should be running around just about every week (probably a little longer). In each round, a challenger will be presented and some of their work to show that they have at least proven to be a decent CaCer.

1. Challenging

a. A chosen player (Challenger) will post in the main topic which Iron Chef they wish to challenge in a 1-on-1 battle. That is the person who you will be battling with in the next week to see whose CaCing skills reign supreme.

b. To apply to be a challenger, simply PM me with a couple reason why you should be allowed to challenge the Iron chefs and a link to or some examples of your CaC work. From there, you will contacted again (by PM or IM) about becoming a challenger.

2. Sous Chefs

a. Procedure: 24 hours after the challenge has been issued, I will need a list of four names from both of you. This list is to include the "sous-chefs" you'd like to help you in the coming round. These people are the only ones allowed to post in your Kitchen topic (more on this later) and help touch up some of your cards. they cannot, however, create cards themselves (unless the round specifies otherwise). They can feed you ideas, mechanics, cost suggestions, cards suggestions, and the like and also fixes for your cards, but they cannot make any part of the card. Should I discover that a sous-chef has in fact contributed so much to the card that it is more or less their own card, I will disqualify the card from the round.

b. CONFLICTS: In the case that both players pick the same "sous-chef", the challenger will pick the number one or two when they submit their list of names. This will determine who will get first pick of their sous-chefs. Should the challenger choose “One”, they will get their first pick of sous-chef, but concede choices two and three to the Iron Chef. The reverse is true if “Two” is chosen.

c. QUALIFYERS: Anyone may be a sous-chef in a round with the exception of the following:

1) A judge for that round
2) Another Iron Chef
3) The most recently eliminated Iron Chef

3. Secret Ingredient and Preparation

a. After all sous-chef picks have been sent in, sous-chefs will be announced in the main topic. Then the “secret ingredient” will be revealed. Depending on the Iron Chefs area of expertise, the ingredient can range from the highly Technical (cards that include or combo with the attack Hyper Beam) to the highly Creative (All cards must include a reference to another TCG).

b. KITCHEN TOPICS: After the ingredient is announced, chefs and sous-chefs will go to their Kitchen topics and prepare cards for the mini-set required. In the Kitchen topics, ICs and Head Chefs may post ideas for cards, complete cards, or anything else they deem important. Sous-Chefs are only allowed to post ideas for chard mechanics, card critiques, and card fixes.

c. KITCHEN TOPIC VIEWING: Any person may view the Kitchen topics EXCEPT:

1) Chefs and Sous-Chefs from the opposing team
2) Judges for that round with the exception of “the chairman” (me).

Should any opposing chefs view their opponent’s topic, their set will receive a 75% point reduction when they are graded.

Should a judge view a topic, they may still score the round, but their scores will not be averaged in at the end. Should a judge for a round accidentally view a topic, PM me immediately for instructions.

d. Accidents May Occur…: Should either a Sous Chef, Iron Chef, or Challenging chef view their opponent’s topic, get out as quickly as possible and admit to it in your own kitchen. I know as well as everyone else that accidents do happen. But each time after that, a point will be deducted from your teams final score.

e. Submitting Food From the Kitchen: After you have put your mini-set together, the Head Chef will make a final post in their Kitchen topic including all the cards in their set. I will only take cards in your final post with no exceptions other than a complete board break down and it being put into view only mode. The possibility of this happening is so low, just don’t even test me on it.

4. Tasting and Judgment

a. Judges are announced at the beginning of the round before sous-chefs are chosen. The chairman (me) is always a judge in each round. The other two judges will vary from challenge to challenge.

b. Judges are still able to challenge Iron Chefs and judge but they cannot judge any more rounds if they beat an Iron Chef. They are allowed to judge rounds again after they complete the Iron Chef Elimination round (more on that later).

c. Judges will be given a rubric to judge both sets by. Since the judges are not allowed to access the Kitchen, judge’s will only be able to view the finished product in the the main topic. The mini-sets from each Chef will be posted as Dishes A and Dishes B to keep the author of each set anonymous and judging fair as well.

d. COMMENTS: Judges are required to comment on AT LEAST THREE (3) cards in each set. Scores are not to be posted in the forums, however. Judges will PM their evaluations to the Chairman (me), who will tally up and announce the winner of the battle.

5. Types of Challenges

a. Regular Challenge: An accepted challenger can come in and challenge any Iron Chef.

b. Iron Chef Elimination round: After the Iron Chef is defeated 3 times, his seat as Iron Chef will be put up for grabs. This round is conducted similar to the CLOSED Round of previous topics with invites being extended to only those challengers who defeated the Iron Chef.

c. King of Iron Chef tournament: The four reigning Iron Chefs and any former Iron Chefs who wish to will duke it out in a battle to see who really is the King of Iron Chefs. These will be conducted approximately once every 4 months. The winner of this tournament has the option of changing positions with any existing Iron Chef. If a former Iron Chef should win, they have the option of becoming an honorary Iron Chef (having their own category where the secret ingredient is very difficult to predict and not limited by topic) or playing another round and challenging one of the existing Iron Chefs in a final battle for their position.
------------------------------------

Look for me to announce the first challenger on Sunday or Monday. good luck to all!

Last edited:
Cardzmaster2004 said:
Puyallup: Who gave you your job? And who can take it away? Thank you.

Wow....I didn't mean to offend you with my last comment. If you didn't like it, you should have sent me a PM and I would have taken it down, like I will now. Why does it seem like everyone here is....OK I think I better stop before I make anyone else mad. If you were offended by anything I said I am sorry. I will remove that comment now.

peace
the phantom

EDIT (10:31 PM Pacific time): I point out 1 mistake, now I'm the most hated guy here? Well, if my speaking my mind and saying the truth makes people want to kill me, then so be it.

Last edited:
SuicidalPika: Yes, anyone can apply to be a challenger so long as they're not an Iron Chef. See 1b for details. essentially, just PM why you should be allowed to compete and some links to or some examples of your work.

puyallup: Yes, you have offened me beyond words. My passionate hatred of you is like that of a thousand fiery burning suns searing the flesh of a piece of bacon to really super extra crisp. Your doom is emminant and All Your Base Are Belong To Us.

( I layed on the sarcasm Uber-thick on that one. You should get it now.)

Just to let y'all know, the topic isn't dead. I'm still looking for challengers for the Iron Chefs and could use a couple more judges for the future. everything is set up for the First Challenger and I have to do is post their name and credentials. However, I'm holding back until Saturday to do this because of the Birthday happenings of this week. So enjoy the celebration and check back Saturday for our first challengers.

(BTW, I've got some great people coming in for challenging AND judging on this one, so you'll definitly want to tune in for this First Challenger).

IC: CaC Challenger #1

(Chairman gets up on stage)

Welcome to CaCing Stadium! As you can see, the arena for this creative dueling has been set. Both sides of our drawing field have been equipped with spoilers for all cards created to date along with spoilers for most cards every created on PokeGYm forums. As you can see, we've gone all out in stocking our pantry, which will include the varied munchies our Iron Chefs, the challenger, adn their sous-chefs will no doubt need in their pursuit of supreme CaCing.

But enough about our two CaC "Kitchens", let's get on to our first challenger. Per usual, I will be introducing them in the topic and let them post in here which Iron Chef they would like to challenge.

Introducing this individual is very easy and difficult at the same time. While he has been a member of the CaC forum for a long time now, he has become one of the key players in the realm of CaCing. His numerous sets and show the breadth of his creativity and the perfectly intrinsic balance of his work. As a member of the CACTI 5, he was also able to break new creative ground in the forums with new techniques, such as pokemon XD and Ultima types.

His most recent accomplishments include the attempt to sponsor his own contest (which proved he could plan on the grand scale), the beginning of the Renaissance Block, and the creation of the new CACTI 5-esque team, Renaissance Inc. Please welcome with me to the platform, the CaCing great, Burninating_Torchich!

*BT steps out from behind curtain, makes his way through the "Kitchen" and steps up on the stage*

Thank you so much for coming to be with us tonight, BT. I personally am looking forward to the creativity you will be bringing to this week's match. And, without further adieu, I summon the Iron Chefs!

*The Four Iron Chefs ascend to the stage from platforms below, coming up through billows of artifical smoke (yay smoke machines!)*

So, BT, now that you see our Iron Chefs, which will you challange?

WHO WILL IT BE????
-----------------------------------

Will it be:

Iron Chef Creativity: ensignmerlin,

Iron Chef Combo: DragonSol,

Iron Chef Technical: Carrington388, or

Iron Chef Thematics: puyallup_phantom?
----------------------------------

BT, we await your choice.

His most recent accomplishments include the attempt to sponsor his own contest (which proved he could plan on the grand scale), the beginning of the Renaissance Block, and the creation of the new CACTI 5-esque team, Renaissance Inc. Please welcome with me to the platform, the CaCing great, Burninating_Torchich!
(Oh, good job...)

Back