Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Iron Chef-FINAL FOUR (Pooka VS Gymbo ex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
~~~Pooka~~~

Ingredient: Tyranitar ex d

Although some thought this would be an amazing archetype, that's just not true. Tyranitar ex d lacks what it takes to be competitive. Its easiness to play around and lack of a big attack really brings it down. In light of this, I tried to play to the strengths (and there aren't many) of Tyranitar. Here we go...

// Pokemon
4 Holon's Castform
1 Holon's Voltorb
1 Tyranitar d
3 Tyranitar ex d
2 Pupitar d
4 Larvitar d
2 Altaria ex d
2 Swablu d
2 Pidgeot S2
1 Pidgeotto d
2 Pidgey d
1 Chimecho d

// Trainers
4 Holon Transceiver
4 Holon Mentor
4 Rare Candy
4 Windstorm
3 Prof. Elm's Training Method
2 Holon Researcher
1 Holon Adventurer
1 Holon Scientist

// Energy
6 Lightning Energy
4 Warp Energy
2 Water Energy

As usual for most decks nowadays, there's the standard Castform/Holon Engine to setup efficiently. Since the Pidgeot S2 isn't d, and there are a lot of evolutions anyway, three PETM were added. I was considering running Celio's Network instead (since it maximizes getting Castform early game), but I figured there would be too many times where I needed a PETM to grab an ex, so PETM it was. Due to the deck's weakness to Cursed Stone and Cessation Crystal, four Windstorm seemed necessary.

Now on to the actual strategy of the deck. Clearly Hyper Claws is too weak to base a deck on, so I had to try to use Electromark and Shock-wave somehow. After going through a lot of ideas, this is the best I could come up with. Tyranitar ex d takes at least two turns to KO something, and because it's an ex, you will almost never win a tradeoff vs non-ex Pokemon. However, here's where one of Tyranitar's strengths comes in - its high HP. Most of the time the big dinosaur can take a hit or two; not too many Pokemon can do 150 damage.

So, how to take advantage of that? Pidgeot! After a Tyranitar is in KO range, you can Warp Energy it to the bench, shuffle it back into the deck with Pidgeot, and send up a fresh Tyranitar! Usually the plan is to have the first Tyranitar set down as many Shock-wave markers as possible. Then, the second wave comes in and KOs all the threats. If you can shuffle Tyranitars into your deck enough, you can eventually come out ahead in the prize exchange. The objective is to deny your opponent prizes until you're in a solid enough position to be able to trade off and still win.

Okay, sounds good, but it's still not gonna work without some form of Energy acceleration. So, here comes Altaria ex d! By attaching multiple times, you can keep the swarm going. Again, I had a difficult decision to make here. Even though Tyranitar d/Mantine d seemed to fit perfectly in the deck, it didn't. In a deck where you need as many Larvitars as possible to keep cycling through Tyranitar ex, you can't afford to waste one on a Tyranitar d. In addition, Altaria ex d is a Stage 1, which is much easier to get out. In the end, Altaria only took up about one more slot than Tyranitar d would anyway, so Altaria got the nod over Tyranitar d.

With all these evolutions, the deck is obviously going to be slow... but that's a good thing! Since the Shock-wave markers go away when you evolve, it's pointless to put them on any Basic or Stage One. Once your opponent is fully setup, then you can start the Shock-waves.

Obviously Safeguard will be a problem. Therefore, Tyranitar d was the logical addition. It OHKOs (I think) every Safeguard Pokemon out there. How convenient!

Well, there you have it. This one was actually kinda fun. I hope you enjoyed looking through this! Good luck, Jim!

Deck (7/10): A consistent list. Other than a lack of pure draw (only scientist and adventurer), the setup flows just fine. Drawing into your energy may be really tough at times, be it lighting/water to use for Altaria ex d’s power, or Warp Energy to complete the combo. I’m surprised you didn’t throw in even a small Nidoqueen d/Fearow line to help put this beast together. Status can be an issue at times if you have no free retreat Pokemon to bounce back to with Warp, or need to attach to a benched Pokemon and retreat, but for most games it won’t be an issue.

Creativity (4/5): This gave me the first impression of a generic stage 2 ex+altaria ex d strategy, but then Pidgeot S2 sunk in, and I saw a great idea. Recycling Ttars is a very neat way to go about playing this deck.

Card Use (4/5): Tyraniter ex d’s Weakness is much less of an issue thanks to Tyranitar d, and the shock marker attacks are used very well, but Hyper Claws, a solid attack in its own right (and the only potential way to OHKO the opponent), goes largely unnoticed. The strategy of the deck, even with energy manipulation, is a bit too slow most of the time, but you have some good support for the tar-smokin’ ex.

OVERALL: 15/20

~~~Gymbo ex~~~

Final Four Ingredient: Tyranitar d ex

Well, I want to say that I have had a great time competing in this tournament. Despite getting donked repeatedly this tournament season in terms of Organized Play, and somewhat doubting my abilities, that I have made it this far in this competition going up against some truly great deckbuilders gives me some pride. Anyways, on to my challenge first by looking specifically at the card itself:

Tyranitar d ex 150 HP
Stage 2 Lightning Pokemon

LC: Electromark: Place a Shock-wave counter on one of your opponent's Pokemon.

LCC: Hyper Claws: 70+ If the Defending Pokemon is a Stage 2 Pokemon, this attack does 70 plus 20 more damage.

LLC: Shockwave: Choose one of your opponent's Pokemon that has a Shock-wave counter on it. That Pokemon is Knocked Out.

Weakness: Grass
Resistance: -
Retreat: CCC

This card would be good if you could simply Electromark until the Tyranitar was KOed, then sending up another Tyranitar and Shockwaving everything at once taking multiple prizes. But, alas, no. It's got decent stats though right now. There's not a lot of formidable Grass Pokemon outside of Dustox ex right now so weakness isn't a problem typically. 150 HP is standard, and the three retreat cost is disgusting though. I typically would simply Hyper Claws repeatedly to take my prizes just because three for 70 is good, and three for 90 is even better. But the Electromark/Shockwave works nice against big threats on the Bench or as a Bench-hitting mechanism versus decks like Politoed. I believe the deck should be run with Hyper Claws cleaning after taking out the heavy threats with Shockwave.

Pokemon: 21
4 Mew ex (3 LM/1 HP)
4 Larvitar d (Paralyzing Gaze)
2 Pupitar d (Paralyzing Gaze)
3 Tyranitar d ex
2 Tyranitar d
2 Slugma (UF)
2 Magcargo (DX)
2 Tauros (CG)

I built the Pokemon choices around using Mew ex early game to either benefit from Tauros and set up (or simply using Tauros to set up) then using Mew to place the Electromarks if I need them for later game with Tyranitar. Mew can also Hyper Claws while you build the Tyranitar. One could go with the Altaria d ex, but I chose the obvious choice of the Delta Tyranitar with Crush Draw along with Magcargo. This helps speed up my Tyranitar d ex as well as regroup if I lose a Tyranitar d ex. I opted for 2 Pupitar and 4 Rare Candy so I can evolve to Tyranitar d ex quickly so I can use Mew ex to Electromark. I also went with a second Tyranitar d because Tyranitar d ex's weakness is grass, and a strong backup attacker in Tyranitar d can help versus fire weak Grass Pokemon like Dustox. Magcargo is in the deck for obvious reasons, and Tauros is in the deck to help setup or feed Mew. It can also act as a 5th or possibly 6th counterstadium if needed thanks to Crush Chance. The single HP Mew ex is great to have so I can see what my opponent is planning.

Energy: 16
10 Lightning
4 Holon's Castform
2 Warp

Here is where I was iffy. I wanted to keep at least 10 basic Energy so I could Crush Draw them. The Castforms are needed for Mew as well as Magcargo and Tyranitar d. However, I did want the Warp Energy. Tyranitar d, Tyranitar d ex, and Magcargo's retreat costs are just too high to ignore. Also, the Castforms once attached to a Pokemon with a Warp already attached, lets me get them back for re-use. I believe there are enough energy usable for Crush Draw to help streamline the deck.

Trainers: 23
4 Holon Transceiver
4 Windstorm
4 Rare Candy
3 Professor Elm's Training Method
2 Holon Mentor
2 Copycat
1 Warp Point
1 Holon Adventurer
1 Holon Scientist
1 Holon Farmer

The Basic Holon Engine. Needed in practically all decks right now. No surprise to see it here as well. It adds much needed consistancy. I originally was going to Golduck/Legacy this deck like I did in my last entry. But decided that Cessation Crystal hurts Mew way too much and went with Windstorm. Windstorm is just a great all around card, anyways. I maxed out Rare Candy to give my deck a needed boost in speed so Mew can Electromark early. PETM sets up my evolutions. Copycat is a nice hand-refresher mid to late game. The 1/1/1 Adventurer/Scientist/Farmer works well for me with a maxed out Transceiver engine. Farmer is needed in this deck due to the below average amount (2) of Pupitar as well as recovering basic Energy for Crush Draw. I also threw in a single Warp Point. I'm finding that a single Warp Point in decks is tremendous late game when you need that last prize that you can get on the Bench. It's also great in this deck to Warp Point something with a hefty retreat cost active like Magcargo and Electromark the Threat you just sent back to the Bench.

[FINAL LIST]

Pokemon: 25
4 Mew ex (3 LM/1 HP)
4 Holon’s Castform
4 Larvitar d (Paralyzing Gaze)
2 Pupitar d (Paralyzing Gaze)
3 Tyranitar d ex
2 Tyranitar d
2 Slugma (UF)
2 Magcargo (DX)
2 Tauros (CG)

Trainers: 23
4 Holon Transceiver
4 Windstorm
4 Rare Candy
3 Professor Elm's Training Method
2 Holon Mentor
2 Copycat
1 Warp Point
1 Holon Adventurer
1 Holon Scientist
1 Holon Farmer

Energy: 12
10 Lightning
2 Warp

Thank you again for this opportunity. Good luck to you Kyle and the other two competitors in the other challenge.

~Jim

Deck (8/10): I like this list a lot. Pokemon lines are pretty consistent, and for the most part, so are your trainers. Having the opening basic energy may be unlikely thanks to no holon’s basic, and I would have liked to see four PETM to maximize your setup’s quality, but that’s okay. Overall I’m happy with the speed of the list and versatility vs any status situation (warp point+warp energy=win).

Creativity (4/5): Just like Pooka’s deck, I got the first impression of a deck lacking creativity, but Mew ex HP lets you know exactly what attack to use, thus reducing the limits put on Ttar ex by cards such as Tropius d. Mew ex LM is also its own great play.

Card Use (4/5): Hmmm, well type issues are covered, and all three attacks of Tyranitar ex d are utilized well. Mew ex is great to not only start with, but lets you great straight into the shock marking. Also, depending on the matchup, you could even drag up your opponent’s own high retreat cost bugger, and proceed to lay waste! Good going.

OVERALL: 16/20

Once again, it's another close, thrilling match between two deckmasters! Now...onto the finals!

Ack, I saw a bunch of Tyranitar ex/Mew ex threads on here, so I didn't go that route in fear of not being creative. Oh well, nice job, Jim. Good luck in the finals.

Oh, and you mentioned how Status would be a problem because I have no Pokemon with free retreat, but that's not true! Pidgeot and Pupitar both have free retreat.

I should have been more clear there. "Status can be an issue if you have no free retreat Pokemon" is addressing the early setup phasel

Thanks Kyle for being so gracious. Congrats on making it all this way. You're an amazing player and deckbuilder. Awesome job. :biggrin:

~Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back