Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Iron Chef Top 8 RESULTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegeta ss4

Iron Chef Leader
Hey guys, welcome to the end of the Top 8, it was fun to grade this, best round thus far.

RESULTS TIME!

Cyrus v. Rainbowgym

Cyrus

Pokemon (18):
4 Crobat G PL
4 Sableye SF
3 Pawniard #75 NV
3 Bisharp #76 NV
2 Honchkrow G PLL
1 Unown UD [Dark]
1 Unown Q MD

Trainers (32):

4 Pokemon Collector
4 Cyrus's Conspiracy
4 TG'S I Poke-Turn
4 Junk Arm
4 Professor Juniper
2 Expert Belt
2 Roseanne's Research
2 TG's I SP Radar
1 TG'S I Energy Gain
1 Seeker
1 VS Seeker
1 Bebe's Search
1 Luxury Ball
1 Pokemon Communication

Energy (10):

10 Darkness
When I 1st saw this, I didnt think it would be a very creative deck, I was wrong.
This deck utilizes a full proof system of Crobat G and Bisharp. This deck just setsup to fast for anyone.
Sableye not only searches out for anything you need to get a good setup, but it has donk potential when comboed with Crobat G.
This is a good trainer setup too, it spreads damage for near auto ko's. I would of really liked to see atleast 1 Pokemon catcher,
though Catcher doesnt do well with the consistancy of the deck in terms of setup, it just helps SO much mid-LAte game.
Consistency, elogance, synergy is what I expect from Cyrus. He did NOT dissapoint. Your score is as follows..

7/10 8/10 5/5=21

Rainbowgym

4 Sableye SF48 (Overeager/Impersonate)
4 Crobat G (Flash bite power)
3 Pawniard NV75
3 Bisharp NV76
1 Unown Q (reduce retreat)

3 Roseanna
4 Collector
4 Cyrus
3 PONT
1 Juniper

4 Poketurn
3 Expert Belt
4 Communication
2 Junk Arm
3 Catcher
3 Broken Time Space
1 Luxury Ball

10 Darkness Energy
LOL, same deck!! Just a slightly different varient in trainers, but not by much. I like the draw here, enable for better consistancy
I love Catcher in here, seems like a no brainer. Your score is as follows..
8/10 7/10 5/5=21

It is a draw, but I am going to have to go with my gut on this...what has the best variety of strategies while not ruining consistency?
With that said, the winner of this matchup, and the closest matchup of the entire tournament for me...

WINNER IS CYRUS

Bullados vs Ericknance

bullados

Pokemon (18):
4 Pikachu AR71
4 Raichu MD45
4 Tynamo NV39
4 Eelektrik
2 Chatot MD

Trainers (32):
4 Dual Ball
4 PokeDrawer+
4 Junk Arm
4 BTS
1 Luxury Ball
2 Professor Juniper
4 Pokedex Handy 910is
2 VS Seeker
1 Super Rod
4 Pokemon Communication
1 Switch
1 Expert Belt

Energy (10):
10 Electric
Quick, consistant, and smooth. No brainer from this player. He is electing to go a very quick route with this deck.
Electing good quick trainers with good quick pokemon. I love Chatot MD, one of my favorite cards. It helps in every way.
I would of liked to see some quick energy acceleration here though. Discarding energies and picking them back up seems very efficent
to me. Score is as follows...

8/10 8/10 5/5=21

Eriknance

pkmn (13)

4 seviper (col)
3 skuntank g
3 Poochyena (pl)
3 Mightyena (pl)

tss (36)

4 collector
4 n
3 professor oak's new theory
3 professsor juniper
4 eviolite
2 expert belt
3 junk arm
3 pokemon catcher
3 switch
3 snowpoint temple
2 moonlight stadium
1 pokegear 3.0
1 super rod

nrg (11)

11 psychic
This is such a good deck. I am sad though because it isn't that creative imo, I basically have used this deck for tournaments and
online play. The list is quite good though, abusing good stadiums and using Evolite and N is so clutch. Sadly I dont think
N really helps you out here. Your score is as follows

7/10 7/10 5/5=19

WINNER IS BULLADOS

Magnechu vs Goldedda

Magnechu

//NAME: Untitled Deck
1 Super Rod
4 Moonlight Stadium
2 Luxury Ball
2 Pokémon Communication
3 Junk Arm
4 Pokémon Catcher
3 TG's Invention Poké Turn
1 Eviolite
2 PokéGear
2 Judge
4 Professor Juniper
4 Professor Oak's New Theory
4 Roseanne's Research
// Energy
3 Darkness Energy
5 Psychic Energy
// Pokemon
3 Crobat G PT
3 Seviper CL
2 Skuntank G PT
3 Mightyena PT
1 Mightyena L.42 LA
4 Poochyena L.17 LA
Again, not very creative...but you do run Crobat G which helps boost the creativity here. I like the trainer build, seems
like it is a ready to play list. You score is as follow

8/10 7/10 5/5=20

Goldedda

Pokemon 13
4 Keckleon RR
4-4 Eeletric ( free retreat tynamo)
1 Chatot MD

Supporters/trainer and co. 28
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Pokemon Communication
4 Proffessor Juniper
2 Felicities Drawing
3 Pokegear
2 Expert Belt
4 Pluspower
4 Junk Arm
1 night maintenance
2 SunnyShore City GYM

Energys 17
17 lighting energys
This is original, but expected. It is however very creative. I just dont know if I like the flippyness of the deck.
But based on averages, this deck can easily do over 60-70 a turn. But for 3 energy, so it's not too good.
I love the trainer line though, and the Chatot MD. This is a very lucky deck though, if it works...it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't.
Lets be forreal though, some of the best decks of all time were luck based. Your deck is very consistent though.
Your score is as follows

9/10 7/10 5/5=21

WINNER IS GOLDEDDA

Brightrush vs Waynegg

Brightrush

Pokemon: 14
3 Audino Black and White
3 Kecleon Rising Rivals
4 Tynamo Noble Victories (30 hp w/ free retreat)
4 Eelektrik Noble Victories

Energy: 14
14 Lightning

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 32
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Professor Juniper
3 Felicity's Drawing
2 PokeGear 3.0
4 Junk Arm
3 Pokemon Communication
1 Luxury Ball
2 Pokemon Catcher
2 Expert Belt
1 Plus Power
1 Super Rod
1 VS Seeker
2 Pokemon Contest Hall
2 Lake Boundary
Just like Goldedda's entry. It is a flippy deck...but it is slightly more creative with the Audino. Elektrik is such a good card,
a modern day easier setup pokemon like the old Dragonite d. This too is a solid list and very consistent.
Your score is as follows.

8/10 8/10 5/5=21

Waynegg

4 Sableye
4 Seviper
3 Gulpin
3 Swalot
2 Porygon
2 Porygon2
2 Skuntank G

4 Pokegear3.0
4 Professor Juniper
3 Bebe's Search
3 Pokemon Collector
3 Pokemon Communication
2 Professor Oak's New Theory
2 Moonlight Stadium
2 Pokemon Catcher
2 Snowpoint Temple

11 Psychic Energy
4 Dark Energy
Alright, something really creative that's efficent. I love this deck, it also looks very sleak and smooth. Good choice of
stadiums here imo. 20/25/15 is arguably the most consistant way to go with any deck. Just like all of these deck, Azelf isnt needed
because you run a lot of higher numbers. I do wish you had an Unown Q.
Your score is as follows

9/10 9/10 5/5=23

WINNER IS WAYNEGG

Congrat to all that won, and a job well done to those who didnt not win. This was a tough round, especially the Cyrus vs Rainbowgym matchup. I was done grading basically Friday night, with the exception of that matchup. It took me this long to come up with the decision I made.

Top 4 will be up tomorrow.

Two bisharp, three status inducers, and three eelectrik...About what I was expecting! Wayne's was definitely the most creative, and I'm somewhat surprised that Rainbowgym and I had a mirror match - the only one of the T8.

Very good match, RG. You're definitely a champion-level deck builder. :smile:

Not disappointed at all in my loss, wasn't really expecting to advance with my deck. However, I don't think the difference between mine and goldedda's list was consistency...if anything, my list is probably more consistent (though minimally) than his. His creativity, on the other hand, is certainly where the extra point should be.

Nice job everyone, tough challenge!

So I loose because of WHAT??????
I can even make a T1 Bisharp and I loose because of less strategy.

Suddenly creativity is worth more than consistancy???
New for me.

P.s My other decks were Swalot or Lucario/Durant but with Crobat/Sableye in a format you can't ignore them.

Last edited:
Eh...Well I actually thought mine was a shade more consistent because I have the option to SP Radar my Bats, and Unown UD to fetch out darks. Plus, straight draw is a stronger "out" than shuffle draw with this deck, giving you better odds at hitting multiple Flash Bites.

Glad that the lack of Catcher didn't make a difference, since with 10-14 Flash Bites a game, and a format with a maximum HP of 100 (120 with Belt), you don't really need it lol.

I'm somewhat surprised I would go up against mirror in general, but I'm not surprised that you came up with it at all. It's the clear best deck in format, and I honestly don't see anything else that could beat it without heavy metagaming (as in, Mr. Mime-esque metagaming). It made for a very tough-to-grade, nailbiter match, but it was a good match either way.

I got 8 points for consistency and you got 7, while both our decks can run smooth and hit hard.

And I know the options for SP radar, but I kept in mind there could also be another deck as match up.
for that matter I needed Catcher and BTS. Most of all for the Swalot match up.
Honchkrow without moonlight seemsto risky for me.

The only deck who can beat "ours" is Swalot.
I used Swalot in a common/uncommon tournament 2 years ago, went 9-0 against all Sableye/Crobat/something decks against Mightyena etc.

Speaking as a player that was eliminated last round, and therefore has no interest for himself:

What happened here? I don't intend to be mean but it sounds like you chose the winners before you even scored their decks... You contradict yourself several times on your score reasoning. Can you clarify your scoring process?

Interesting to hear Swalot can have such a good game vs Crobat/Sableye stuff. I think Bisharp makes a real difference though, and that it should consistently beat Swalot if a player stockpiles enough Flash Bite cards (like 3-5 and/or Expert Belt). Approaching it from a metagame view, then anything Swalot would also be much less playable now due to Eelectrik-charged decks.

And on the scores? Yeah, I kinda felt like we each came up with solid 9-10s on that front, with the difference really just coming down to personal preferences. Of course, I feel the same way about creativity, so it makes sense why it received a tiebreaker decision (although it would've been nicer to get more of those high marks :p).

Last edited:
John, Bisharp indeed makes a difference but not without Catcher.
Bisharp can only hit hard on the active, so I really was suprised you didn't run a single Catcher.

Expert Belt/Defender/Junk arm/Potion are key for Swalot.

^All of those are metagame assumptions, though, and this is a metagame-neutral match. Defender/Belt/Junk Arm/Potion all on Swalot is a big assumption, no matter how good it is, so I felt like my spaces are better spent on furthering the strategy with more Flash Bite hax/options. Plus, an Audino with 7-9 energy can nuke any tank in any format.

But yeah, I agree that in a real-world metagame, Bisharp would have added trouble in the Swalot matchup without Catcher. Deck seems like a beast the way you've described it.

No you were my opponent so I had to keep in mind you could come up with X or Y deck,
I made a deck which should be able to face "any" common/uncommon DP-on deck including Swalot.
And also being able to beat "mirror".

Seems like I stranded again on the same way as the last Iron Chef.

Lia-

I've always picked which is more creative. Its EXACTLY why I up'd the score of creativity, its my main focus in terms of tiebreakers.

Cyrus had more creativity then you. Simple as that, you put up a valiant effort...it was an honor to grade your decks you made.

I will say if there was a metagame, it still would have been a tie, but I would have leaned more on you. It was a tough decision through and through.

Magnechu, it was a little bit of both consistency and creativity that got you, it wasn't your best entry.
Posted with Mobile style...

I'm confused on your quick summary of my deck. you said that using N was clutch then say that it didn't help me out that much. also, creativity can be pretty subjective I guess. I didn't realize people ever played with seviper at all. I'm not complaining because I can definitely see where it's a pretty obvious idea. I just thought I had found a diamond in the rough. the bisharp idea was awesome though, as was the raichu deck that beat me.

with that said, the top 8 clearly had some great deckbuilders. even people who made it to the top 16 should be proud. vegeta did a great job with this even if there were a few mishaps here and there. think about it - he dedicated a great deal of his time to this. Admittedly, I didn't put much time into this tournament. I have a lot of stuff going on right now, so it was really nice to relax every now and then and have fun deckbuilding for this.

congrats bullados btw! knock em out in the top. and thanks again vegeta. :D

Vegeta, both of our decks are NOT creative at all.
It's the most boring build there is, nothing creative about a challenge with Sableye/Crobat G in the format, sorry.

Both John and me choose the best combination for the given challenge, but my definition of creative is really different.
Even if you had given us only 5 points for creativity I would have agreed, I fail to find anything creative in both our decks.

This is my other deck, very very creative but it looses to the deck with Bisharp that's why I didn't send this one.
I always get the feeling a lot of people don't even know the difference between obvious choise and creative choise.

4 Durant
4 Crobat G
4 Riolu PL91
4 Lucario (do the wave) PL53
1 Unown Q (1 retreat less)

3 Roseanna
4 Collector
3 Cyrus
2 PONT
2 Bianca

4 Poketurn
4 Communication
2 Junk Arm
1 Luxury Ball
2 Expert Belt
2 Revive
2 Catcher

12 Metal

Last edited:
You are correct, they aren't creative...but given the metagame isn't known it is fairly creative. His was more creative because he could do a lot more than you could.

That was a really efficient deck BrightRush. I've been contemplating a match with you for a while :thumb:

This was how my entry operated:

4 Sableye
4 Seviper
3 Gulpin
3 Swalot
2 Porygon
2 Porygon2
2 Skuntank G

4 Pokegear3.0
4 Professor Juniper
3 Bebe's Search
3 Pokemon Collector
3 Pokemon Communication
2 Professor Oak's New Theory
2 Moonlight Stadium
2 Pokemon Catcher
2 Snowpoint Temple

11 Psychic Energy
4 Dark Energy

This is probably the most efficient deck I've ever built. With the starting options of Sableye, 3 Pokemon Collector, and 4 Pokegear3.0, you're all but guaranteed a first turn set up. Bebe and Communication go well with Professor Juniper, allowing you to hide cards you need back into your deck before you drop your hand and get 7 fresh cards to work with.

Porygon2 is essential as you get to use 2-3 supporters per turn. That's insane in a format like this! Pokegear also lends out here as it keeps the multiple supporter engine going, hence 4 copies in the deck.

You gotta have stadiums for the Skuntank/Seviper combo to go off so what better choices than Snowpoint, which gives all my basics +20HP, and Moonlight Stadium, which gives my attackers free retreat.

There were other choices for evolving basics, but I believe these to be the best choice. I didn't get lazy; I weighed my choices here too!

Pokemon Catcher goes well with Swallot, netting you one hit knock outs when you need them.

All basic energy isn't a problem. In such a limited format, 40 can be tough to recover from on turn 1 and can be used on occasion to great effect.

Thanks for another fun round Vegeta!

Last edited:
Congratz Waynegg! You truly did beat me and I'm happy to go out to the best of this round. Good luck in Top 4 and same with everyone else.

Brightrush, you had a heck of a run. To be honest you surprised me..started slow but you got hot when you needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back