Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Iron Chef - Voter Override FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
Starting with the Top 32 of the Iron Chef competition, there will be something I like to call "Voter Override." This is my way of balancing out my significant power as the tournament's only judge: by getting your opinions on the entries.

In other words, this is YOUR chance to contribute!

So now, to get on with the questions...

What is Voter Override?

An opportunity for users to override either my initial or final decision.

Why have Voter Override?

I'm human; I don't get everything right. Plus, there is a very subjective nature to these contests, so in case I am just completely off base, it helps.

Why have Voter Override over more judges?

Two reasons:

A) I seriously dislike judging _with_ people, because somehow...SOMEHOW, judges coordinating with one-another becomes a tedious, painful process.

B) I want you guys to have some interaction going on here!

How much is my Voter Override worth?

I can't really answer that question in a definitive way, but I can "try" to explain how it will work for the time being.

For the Top 32 and possibly later, you will get to write your OWN critique for any deck posted. So that I pay attention to your critique, you MUST title your post "Critique," or else I will ignore your input!

What happens is that I will look at every written critique, see the points addressed, and if there is reason to do so, I will declare a final outcome different from my grading.

So, the decision is still mine and mine alone, but now I am more heavily encouraging fan input, as well as a dialog. Also, when writing your critique, if you disagree with me, do not belabor it with "I disagree with Cyrus on such-and-such," because it will be apparent if you do or do not. Construct your criticism as if you had not seen another's critique before.

Do I have to write a critique for every matchup posted?

Of course not!

Should I write a critique if I am absolute agreement with you, Cyrus?

Absolutely. While you should treat a critique as something of your own creation, separate from what I post, if it comes to the same result, then by all means, share your findings.

What do I have to put in my critique for Voter Override?

Simple! For both competitors in any given match, type this up:

-A Score for deck, with a brief explanation. Must be anywhere from a zero (0) to a ten (10). Please, no decimal critiques.
-A Score for creativity, with a brief explanation. Must be 0 to 5.
-A Score for card use, with a brief explanation. Must be 0 to 5.

Why are we not asked to use the same decimal system as in your new method of grading?

Because I'm still the one grading these things, I require an exact value to more accurately reflect my opinion. What I seek from doing this is gauging overall board opinion.

A. Can competitors do this for matches other than their own?

Yes, totally. There is the possibility of another agenda at mind, but I'm pretty good at spotting that.

B. Will our write ups (as competitors making the decks) be shown to the public?

The write-ups will finally start to be posted alongside their deck lists.

Last edited:
I kind of like this!

Heres an idea, whenever you post the deck lists, keep the username out of it to take away possible favortism.

I kind of like this!

Heres an idea, whenever you post the deck lists, keep the username out of it to take away possible favortism.

Good thinking. While there'll inevitably be a few people who post hijacked critiques, I can get some pretty good feedback if the entries are anonymous.

When I grade, I'm going to slightly modify the scale...

Deck 10 with subcatagories Concept 5 and Consistency 5
Creativity 5
Card Use 5

And I'm very unlikely to give anybody a 5 in any of these categories (nothing can be perfect), so my maximum will be 16, not 20, and anything above that I view to be exemplary...

When I grade, I'm going to slightly modify the scale...

Deck 10 with subcatagories Concept 5 and Consistency 5
Creativity 5
Card Use 5

And I'm very unlikely to give anybody a 5 in any of these categories (nothing can be perfect), so my maximum will be 16, not 20, and anything above that I view to be exemplary...

Easy tiger, this is Iron Chef, not the spin-off that followed.

So we are going to have 16 topics, dedicated to each top 32 match-up?
Seems to me that's more handy iso having each person who wants to write a Critique open a new topic.

Cyrus, you might consider opening those topics yourself starting with both decklists and your comment.
Otherwise you might end up with 394 topics with the title "critique on xx".
Or another option is after you read them, to move them to a specific topic and delete the original.
Unless I have understand this wrong it would avoid a messy Deck Contest part of the gym.

Also about leaving the names out, it's rather easy to find out from who the lists might be.
Each division has only 4 people left. And each division got it's own "challenge".
But still it's a very good option to keep it more fair.

RG,

I intend on opening eight topics: one for each challenge (so, four competitors per post). In a ninth post, I will declare my final decision for each 1 v 1.

Nice and we do have to post our "critique" in one of those 8 topics?
And later on we can even use your 9th topic trying to "influence" your final decision?
What is Voter Override?

An opportunity for users to override either my initial or final decision.
That's a part I don't understand, final is final, so how can you allow anybody to override it?

The reason it is worded that way is because I want it to be indefinitely - definite.

That definition has implications not just for this round or this contest, but for whenever I use Voter Override.

In this instance, you will not be overriding my final vote, BUT you might override my initial vote. Hence the "or."

The 9th topic is final, with no going back.

A. Can competitors to do this for matches other than their own?

B. Will our write ups (as competitors making the decks) be shown to the public?

Wow....I don't undersatnd this one bit....we umm, vote for what deck is the best? We PM you our vote? We vote 1/10 or something? ARGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back