Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Is Budew that good?

doctormcdreamy

grass poke w/ 40 hp. New weakness to fire. So it's only +10 if weak. one energy retreat.

prolly, you wont be koed t1. unless they wally or rc on you, you wont be ohkoed in t2. It's not being targeted against yet unlike castform.

the attack doesnt need an energy. the effect is you get a trainer card like h trans, rare candy or w/e.

that can really help. ensuring a holon trans or a rare candy by t3 is pretty nice. you burn your attack for the turn but you gain some control over your destiny.

so, what do you think about Budew?

If you can fit Roselia with him, wicked!

You could search for a Switch with his attack or candy to get the Turn 2 or 3 Infernape strategy! Or you could evolve to Roselia and Flick Poison their benched pokés. This means that they'll have to waste an energy (or mlore) to get back to their starter while you setup a low-energy-attacker. Great stuff.

While the card looks to be really decent, it is actually quite horrible. Since almost everyone right now has atleast 1 Ray ex d in there deck your giving up an easy prize early on. It might come back to haunt you if this happens. I think Budew will only be good once Ray ex d is out of the format, and then it may not be the "ideal" choice.
JMO,
Drew

While the card looks to be really decent, it is actually quite horrible. Since almost everyone right now has atleast 1 Ray ex d in there deck your giving up an easy prize early on. It might come back to haunt you if this happens. I think Budew will only be good once Ray ex d is out of the format, and then it may not be the "ideal" choice.
JMO,
Drew

Evolution into Roselia reduces that threat. A benched Ray ex that you flick poison can be lethal because of the two retreat cost, otherwise simply flick poison it AWAY.

Well, it is a Set Up pokemon, which generally implies that your going to use it till it falls in combat.
In the situation of Ray Ex d, you would still get to use the attack about twice (and that's only if they open with it). There's really no reason to play one down later game anyway.

IMHO... Its garbage... Seriously... What is the point of it? It cant get back supporters or gyms... and the only thing it might be useful is to get Transceivers and Candys... but you waste a turn doing it...

I agree with Papi/Manny, Mawile > Budew

Last edited:
Mawile>budew

Somewhat...
The great thing about Budew is the energyless attack, which IMO makes up a little bit for what it lacks in HP and searching.

IMHO... Its garbage... Seriously... What is the point of it? It cant get back supporters or gyms... and the only thing it might be useful is to get Transceivers and Candys back... but you waste a turn doing it

And what would you rather use your 1st and 2nd attacks on?
10 damage first couple of turns for non-delta decks?
I didn't think so...

It's one of the best starters currently for non-delta decks, rivaling Plusle, Jirachi,and Mawile.

I misread it the first time, I went back and read it again, and eh... I guess its a little better than I originally thought, and easier to get your hands on than Castforms...

IMHO... Its garbage... Seriously... What is the point of it? It cant get back supporters or gyms... and the only thing it might be useful is to get Transceivers and Candys... but you waste a turn doing it...

I agree with Papi/Manny, Mawile > Budew

Windstorm + Transceiver! It's an energiless candy-grabbing attack with a useful evolution. The difficulty is in ensuring it as a starter.

Yeah cuz running more than 3 would kill your draws later in the game and not doing so only gives you a 1 out of 20 chance or something so yea...
3 Budew

3-2-3/1-Infernape/ Lv. X

3-2/1- Delcatty (PK)/ Ex

A pokemon line like that MIGHT work...

Remember that quick ball is approaching. That will not be as good if you run 4 Budews. However Budew fetches quick ball. Mew ex is no use noe because of the speedy OHKO by Infernape. Oh what a dilema. Castaway+Fluffy berry ftw :(

Budew can sure for Ballon and Fluffys to I believe...

IDK, I'm getting more sold on this Budew the more I think about it... This weekend at my local tourny, I think I'm gonn try to trade for a few of these in case they get big l8r, especially when Castform gets rotated in a few yrs

Budew can sure for Ballon and Fluffys to I believe...

IDK, I'm getting more sold on this Budew the more I think about it... This weekend at my local tourny, I think I'm gonn try to trade for a few of these in case they get big l8r, especially when Castform gets rotated in a few yrs

Wait and see if Chimechime kicks off. I can imagine games where players search for cess. crystal then windstorm alternately and a cursed stone or giant stump lock arises!

3 or 4 random cards is way better than any trainer of your choice. so much better... and slapping deltas on the bench is so so good when you're going against lickitung... it's just a good idea to do that. while you're fattening up your hand with delta draws. they're spreading damage and then they're gonna scientist you. Yay, they just copied off your hard work of delta draws.

Budew is near = to Castform.

Back