Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Is GB dead?

Sorry to say it, but from the looks of it Nintendo wont make anymore Gameboys, because the games are losing interest, also, I dont think another set of new pokemon will come out. I LOVE the card game but the ideas of new pokemon are a little far fetched(no pun intended.) I mean come on, luvdisk, solrock, lunatone! This sucks. Post what you think.

Nintendo is planning to show off their new Game Boy DS system at E3 this May, and the newest Pokemon Games are the top selling titles in Japan. I should also mention that over 8 Million GBA systems were sold over the holiday season. So I have my doubts that they will stop Game Boys any time soon. (Sarcasm) And with such overwhelming competition from Nokia's N-Gage they should watch out.

Last edited:
I respect your honest opinion, but in my opinion, I think the new pokemon games are the best pokemon games ever created, be it, the old pokemon still rule over the new pokemon, but the new pokemon are mighty cool themselves.

Well, technically the DS won't be a gameboy, but a new "pillar" for Nintendo.

But the gameboy is far from dead. Outsells everything as Rep13 mentioned. Plus the games keep getting better, with classic releases and franchises and new games, it has tremendous staying power.
It has already demonstrated that IMO. Its only real competition came from the Gamegear, but after it was eventually beaten, no one else has tried. Nokia tried with N-Gage but failed miserably, and the Sony PSP might pose some threat, but within a year, I think it'll be gone, too.

Last edited:
When I take my sons to Karate class, half of the kids waiting for their class are playing GameBoys or watching other kids playing Game Boys.
If that's dead I'd like to have a piece of that dead.

Are you refering to the old GB systems, like Pocket and Color? The GBA is far from dead... Its the best portable game system around... Sure other systems out there offer stuff the GBA cant, but the GBA offers the best games and game selection around... no way GBA is dead... I think/hope you or whoever told you was refering to the older GB's...

Joe Monkey said:
Ha, the next thing that is likely for the GB is a 64 bit verson. Now don't you think that would sale, hmmmm?

I think they can do better then 64-bit. look at these leaps:

GB - 4 shades of grey and green.
GBC - Support for up to 8 million colours, 60 different colours displayable at a time, 512 storable colours on a GBC-exclusive cart.
GBA - support for up to 32 million colours, 24 million different colours displayable at a time, 32 million storable colours on a GBA-exclusive cart, capable of 3 dimensions, an expanded resolution.

By these standards, the next GB not the ds will be capable of powers matching that of the next-gen consoles of today.

Remember, a new GB is in the works, and it's not the DS.

If you need some numbers, this was posted on Pokemon's site. In 2003, Pokemon Ruby was the #2 best selling video game, and Sapphire was #3. If you totalled their sales, then they were #1. Don't ever let anyone tell you that the GBA isn't popular. GB, GBC, probably, but not GBA.

Yeah, I still play my GBA when im on field trips, and other places where I can't bring my laptop so I can play games. I haven't bought a GBA game in like 2 years though because of the greedy stores around me love to overprice GB games... :mad:

But anyway, I don't think the GB is going to die anytime soon. lol, isn't Sony coming out with a portiable console just like the GB? I bet it will fail just like the N Gage or as I call it- the Taco. :p

And I agree that Nintendo or who ever is running out of ideas for new Pokemon names. Luvdisc??? Nosepass??? o_O

Monkey said:
And I agree that Nintendo or who ever is running out of ideas for new Pokemon names. Luvdisc??? Nosepass??? o_O

True, but they have some decent ones. Blaziken, Metagross, Rayquaza, Salamance, and of course KYOGRE!

ooo and u cant forget ninjask... a ninja..mask

and shedinja.... a ninja shed... thing

i dunno

u hafta admit that lanturn is not very original at all. lanturn/lantern derrrr

hmmm what else

oh yea. castform, kina reminds me of forecast ... :O

im tired, thats my excuse

Blaziken I have beef with. He's in the wrong digital monsters franchise, to start with. Also, they used the "-ken" bit already, in Combustken.
I have the same beef with "Loudred" and "Exploud"; fine if they were the only elements in that chain, but with Whismur in there too, the two uses of the word "loud" looks daft. Couldn't they have used "bang" or "wave" or "Sonic"... okay, maybe not Sonic, but something else. "Boom", there's another one.

*pauses for a few minutes of quiet moshing as "Breaking A Habit" starts up on his Linkin Park CD*

As for the GBA's prospects, "From the looks of it Nintendo won't be making any more GameBoys"... from the looks of what? I see absolutely no reason to jump to that extreme judgement. Far from it, things are just getting interesting.
N-Gage; okay, that's the greatest laughing stock since the Jaguar.
PSP; I wouldn't underestimate this one. While I don't see it claiming Nintendo's trademarked portables market, Sony won't let it bomb. If they can make the redesigned PS1 a success so soon after launching PS2, they can do stuff with it again.
DS; serious doubts here. I'm not sure if it'll take off. It won't replace the GBA, but will it be competing with it? Eh? I can't figure out the marketing angle. Besides that, it sounds awfully gimicky. I'm getting strong Virtual GB vibes off it, but we'll see.

i doubt they will stop making gameboys because they are probably going to make it with any system they make. lets face it, they are nintendo. they have been the best before best was an option. they are coming out with leaf green and fire red soon, and the sales will blow up. they also have that wireless trading thingy at stores in japan. that should be a hit too. they are going all out with the things they do. i wouldnt doubt it , if within the next 5 years. they will be the first ones to use disks for handhelds.

i also have speculations about the names too. i think that espeon is a good name. goes with the evee chain. blaziken is a eird name. but the big B is my second favorite of all

Yeah, from the reviews that I've heard and from my own small experiences, the N-Gauge isn't all that great. The Game Show Network's Video Game Show (I forget what it was called....tied in some how with GameSpy) wasn't impressed, either. They said that while the concept was very good, the console itself did not deliver well. The buttons are close together, which seriously hampers gameplay. Also, to use the phone device, you must turn the N-Gauge on its side (which, if you don't understand, would be like putting the link port of a Game Boy Advance against your ear, and talking with it like that).

This system has serious potential, but doesn't deliver. Nintendo should keep a pretty close watch on Nokia in the future, though.

Back