Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ixidor89 Does a Gamestop Tourney!

ixidor89

I was.... bored to say the least. My brother was working, my Dad wouldn't go to see "Harry Potter" because my brother was working and because I'm so bored because my brother is working all that my mother can do is make me look at some loan information for when I go to Drexel in the fall. So, what else is there to do? Drive over to Gamestop and play in a pokemon tournament. The prize; a game for the Wii, which I don't have. What can I say? The thrilling idea of using Battle Revolution game-case as a coaster overwhelmed me.

So I get to Gamestop and find myself swimming in a sea of children.

Loud children.

Loud children who would later be provided with candy.

Since this isn't the most "advanced" metagame you could imagine (Not to mention that the girl running the thing seemed somewhat bewildered by the kids), the tournament was run as a 2vs2, 4vs4, level 50, anything goes tournament (Allowed to change teams between rounds).

In my first round I go against a kid who was probably about eight years old.

My:

Tyranitar
Rotom
Garchomp
Lucario

vs.

His:

Palkia
Infernape
Torterra
I THINK Lucario

I confuse Infernape with Rotom, and start wailing on his Palkia with Tyranitar's Crunch. He manages to knock out Rotom using Palkia, but his Infernape takes confusion damage twice and Garchomp knocks out Infernape. Sandstorm ends up being extremely helpful. Torterra Comes out, as well as what I think was Lucario. Garchomp Fire Blasts Torterra while Tyranitar attacks Lucario with stuff. Something happens (I think Earthquake) and Tyranitar dies. Okay, I send up Lucario. Lucario doesn't get to attack, though because it gets earthquaked too. Luckily for me, Garchomp avoids this and his Lucario is weakened by the Earthquakes, too. This allows me to finish off Torterra and Lucario.

Moving on up!
I didn't exactly like how my team performed, so I decide to change out Rotom for Bronzong. Watching the rounds after mine, I notice that one kid not only has a Bad Egg in his party, but that he also has a shiny Vaporeon and a shiny Rapidash. He still loses horribly. Another kid also pulls out a shiny typhlosion. Wow.

Round Two.

My:

Garchomp
Lucario
Tyranitar
Bronzong

vs

His:

Giratina
Lucario
INSERT FORGETTEN POKEMON HERE
Weezing

Garchomp dies quickly after getting two attacks in, and then Lucario gets frozen by Ice Beam. Hoping it will thaw later, I withdraw Lucario and send up Bronzong, which also dies extreely quickly. Luckily, Tyranitar manages to Earthquake and knock out both Lucario an Giratina. This leaves him with Weezing and what I think was a Milotic. Luckily, Lucario thaws out and manages to hit Milotic pretty hard, but soon die. Weezing starts hitting Tyranitar with Sluge Bomb, doing very little. At some point I Earthquake to kill the Milotic. Crunch manages to finish Weezing off before Sludge Bomb can Tyranitar.

So, round three:

My:

Garchomp
Lucario
Crobat
Tyranitar

vs

His:

Guess what I did?
Skarmory
Yup, happened again.
Darn. I forgot this one, too?

Skarmory goes down REALLY quickly by Garchomp's Fire Blast. His other pokemon goes down shortly afterwards. I think afterwards he comes up with Lucario and manages to get rid of Garchomp by attacking with Close Combatonce or twice. Crobat comes out and confuses his two remaining pokemon. My Lucario gets hit with some attack, and Crobat gets hit with his Lucario's Psychic. I decide to retreat Crobat for Tyranitar, stopping his Lucario's attempt at a two-hit-kill with Psychic. His other pokemon gets knocked out, leaving him with just Lucario, which goes down soon after.

Cheers! I'm in the final round!

My:
Tyranitar
Crobat
Garchomp
Rotom

vs

Jason's:

Infernape
Togechic
Tyranitar
Venasaur

Putting in Rotom was a bad idea. He takes out Tyranitar in no time flat, but I get sandstorm and confuse Togechic. Air Slash knocks out Infernape and Garchop comes up and kills Togechic. Jason brings out Tyranitar and Venasaur, putting to sleep my Garchomp (after it missed on Fire Blast) and Rock Sliding my Crobat. Sandstorm works against me here and finishes my Crobat. I bring out Rotom, which very quickly gets killed from Crunch (Stupid Confusion not stopping Tyranitar!). Garchomp wakes up after one turn and hits Venasaur with Fire Blast, but not KOing it. I die the turn afterwards.

Boo...

He gets the Battle Revolution. There is only one T-shirt provided, so I tell Jason to take it and I as a consolation get some Ninja shirt. I'm pretty sure it won't fit me, though...

Props

Sand Damage
Gamestop
Ninja's
Richard Nixon
Jason
Little Shop of Horrors

Slops

Rotom
Little Kids
The girl running the tournament provided CANDY to the kids... If there is one thing worse than kids that play pokemon, it's kids that play pokemon with candy
No one else from Aardvark showed up.
I tried to explain the "Giant Enemy Crab" joke to one person working at the Gamestop, but she didn't seem appreciate it.
My Brother's work schedule

OH YEAH!!!

Sounds like you attended a horribly runned tournament. I feel for ya bro. Not to rub it in or anything, but if you called other locations prior to this, you may have been able to find a store that had someone running it who knows the games and what not. I only had two stores around here that were as such, and I had to make a 45 min drive to get there, but it was all well worth it.

Also... I dare not ask how that girl got that candy in the first place.

The Ironic thing about the tournament was that all of the kids with shiny and legendary pokemon all got eliminated before the final round. Either way, I still had fun, and that was all that I wanted (and a copy of battle revolution).

Props. I'm puttin' this in the Aardvark Gym forum.

It was single elimination? Did they have tournament software or was it by hand? How could one not be amused by "giant enemy crab"?

No one else from Aardvark showed up.
I had work that day. Oh, and I don't own a DS:tongue:

You could have told us about it and got us to come. It would be like us invading Rockville, only not invading for the TCG, but for the video game. And we could give out our Aardvark business cards to everyone who asked us about our purple shirts.

lol, my pokes were like in the 40s then, and i woulda got smooshed, lol..... ><. anywho.. i get to raise up a shiny Zubat into a crobat and take out sometin (prolly starraptor) on my team for it, so my team would be...

Garchomp (FTW!!!)
Crobat (Shiny!!!)
Infernape
Rhyperior
Abomasnow
Luxray
---------

might end up ditchin Abomasnow for somtin different, perhaps a froslass, Ghost/Ice FTW, and ditch Luxray for Lanturn.... meh.

some kid at Aardvarks traded it to me for an eevee egg even tho he had like 2 japanese female eevees and a female leafeon already :p... i looked at spiritomb's attacks that it learns and wasnt that impressed, the only thing i love about it is the fact that it has no weakness.

Spiritomb is basically the new version of Umbreon/Shuckle. He's a staller/annoyer more than anything else. Look at him with this set:

Spiritomb
252 Def, 252 spdef, 6 hp
Double Team
Toxic
Spite
Pain Split

There is virtually nothing that can one-shot this thing, and very few will be able to get two solid hits in, especially once DT gets Maxed. Plus, Pressure is just PHUN! And Spite just makes Pressure all the MORE PHUN!

Back