Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Jack P. Saved meh life. King's 1st Place Canadian Nationals Report

Hurricane

Well guys, for ya'll who dont know me, Im Jacob Lesage from Canada, and Ive been playing for quite a while - 6 years. This year is without a doubt my best year, especially since I scored a perfect season, winning 1 of every Canadian tournament, soon to come worlds. I decided to play LuxChomp because it was my most comfortable deck this year, and we had one hell of a consistent list. Credit goes to Zach, the first to jump on the LuxChomp bandwagon, my Dad, for helping me with ideas and the drive + just being there for support. Extra pre-props to Nick Kloc for being the cool coolz buddy Ive had in Pokemon all the way. Western buddys are cool (you know who ya'll are :wink:) but Nick was there every tourny. Also, well, also the report. I had a massive report written up, possibly better then Pooka's, lol, but when I posted it I forgot to save, and it deleted it. So sadly this won't be the best report, but Ill try and recap how it all went down.

The Day of Nationals
Well I won Regionals, so I had a nice and juicy 2 Round Bye addition to my day. I was getting bored, so I had a few games against Kevin and Duncan, but the tables were circular so it was sorta awkward. It was a real nice venue, looked so sexy I woulda asked it out if it were a girl. I chill with Zach, Alex, Aaron, Cam, and Jack + others and just chill. I ask Alex for a donut be he fails to deliver, lawlz. Kevin starts asking us for help, and I advise him to take VS Seeker out of his DialgaChomp. Post in comments below if you like or dislike this, lol. Just wanna get the peoples visions on this one. It was a pretty nice turnout, but we needed 6 more players for a top 16 cut. We hit up 59 Seniors, which was soooo shy, but whatever. We start up the tournament while I wait for it and start gettin' anxiety. I bite it and start round 3.

Round 3: Boyce F. (LuxChomp + Entei/Raikou LEGEND)
I start with Luxray and a garbage hand with no Supporters, and he gets Garchomp C + Call. I promptly get Dragon Rushed in the blink of an eye. Damn I think I just poured fail sauce all over my deck. GG Boyce??? (2-1)

Well I was very discouraged at this point, but Jack reassures me I got this as we recap Aaron R.'s terrifiying defeat at Worlds to a Charizard secret rare. Musta been my twin brother, lolz. I sit still as the anxiety gets stronger, but I wade it down by chowing on pizza. We play soccer, and it goes away. I get pwned, and my soccer skills get dominated by Jack, but I feel ok. Ok to vomit. Onto round 4, where I start my epic comeback :eek:

Round 4: Matt D. (Tyranitar)
To begin this matchup, I start with a Misdreavus + Call. He gets Tyranitar T1 with no bench and no Supporters. He does 40 to Misdreavus with a Spec. Dark. I leave him up active and prep 2 Crobat drops on his active. He KO's Misdreavus, and I send up Garchomp C. I level up, Healing Breath, retreat, and Promocroak him. He draws..... nothing. I extend my hand and he accepts defeat, lol. GG Matt! (3-1)

I slowly began to get my confidence back. I was trying to fight my nervousness, until I started chattin' with Alex, who boosted it right down. He got 2 Unown Q starts in a row, surviving one of them. I played an Unown Q, and got quite scared. I just wanted to crawl up into a ball and play iPod games, but it ain't over till your home. I advance onto round 5 about to produce a brick.

Round 5: Kyle S. (PalkiaLock + Garchomp)
Basically, I dominate into 4 prizes, while he cant setup because all of his key Level X's are prized. He cant drop a single Power Lock on me, and he starts up Grachomps and other basics while I snipe away and go ape. He attaches a belt on Palkia G and says "Ill make it easy for ya" and passes. I draw and use Flash Impact FTKO. Kyles a cool guy and didnt take it too hard, he was doing great regardless. Cool deck. (4-1)

So at this point, Ive secured my Top 8 spot due to my Bye tiebreakers. I feel as confidence as Gordon Ramsey is at swearing, and am ready to tank down my last match and get a higher seed. Little do I know he plays a Mewtwo, and without Zachs convincing I would've lost. Ill explain below.

Round 6: Andrew C. (Kingdra)
Well this is my first time meeting Andrew, and we chat a little bit to get to know each other. Next door is my friend Nick, battling the same deck, so I figure these are people in Mike L's crew. He sets up swiftly with a Claydol and a Mewtwo Lvl X up active, and I drought his energies. I snipe Dol off the bench, and he drops Duskull previously. I set up Mismagius slowly, and once I kill his Mewtwo wall, he extends his hand and scoops. Cool deck, Andrew (Michael :tongue:) GG! (5-1)

So I hit Top 8 without a doubt, while Nick loses his game on a coin flip! What a sad day to play Kingdra while using Pluff. So the standings look something like this:

1st Winston C. (AMU + Ploxx)
2nd Michael L. (LuxChomp + Entei/Raikou LEGEND)
3rd Kevin G. (DialgaChomp)
4th Shawn B. (LuxChomp)
5th Jacob Lesage (Me) (KFChomp) :tongue:
6th Kinsley T. (LuxChomp)
7th Duncan Y. (Kingdra)
8th Andrew E. (Gyarados + Machamp [Kudos.dec])

So you can figure the pairings from there, but if you figured it out im battling Shawn next. He doesnt believe me, but when it was announced it became reality. Sharlene wishes good luck, and so does Jack. I go into Top8 with a Mirror Matchup, LuxChomp vs LuxChomp. We both spill the beans that were not playing Entei/Raikou LEGEND, and we both give a sigh of relief. I get a bit scared when he takes a sip of vitamin water, but I take in the shocker :lol: Here goes nuthin'!

Top 8: Shawn B. (LuxChomp)
Game 1: I start first and get dual Garchomp C's while he struggles to compete. I start sniping immediately with 2 DCE in hand, and after 3 prizes he scoops. I find out his deck doesnt play Entei/Raikou LEGEND and that he was telling the truth. Truth FTW bro :thumb: 1-0
Game 2: He starts mimicing my Game 1 actions, but I revenge with Ambipom. He slowly starts slowing down his speed, and I catch up. He shows me his hand out of random, and says "I cant keep up. GG" It seems his hand didnt match the field, so I take the win, the DSi, and the scholarship! Nice meeting you Shawn, good luck in masters! 2-0 (6-1)

Well I was happy, but now the brackets looked like this:

Jacob Lesage vs Winston C.
Michael L. vs Kevin G.

Really good matches were shown here, and I honestly played the hardest games of my Pokemon life. Winston played the Utah SD thingy, AMU + Ploxx + Tomb. It killed me, but I had a few glimmers of hope. I swung into denial, and started up the game after taking on Shawn.

Top 4: Winston C. (AMU + Ploxx)
Game 1: He starts Ralts or Tomb to my Uxie. I start with an Uxie, and then Azelf, and get a Garchomp C Level X, then Psychic Restore. I take 2-3 spammy prizes, and he Ploxx, Judges, and Pixie Locks me. I Get a Mismagius, and kill the Gardevoir with Crash Chant. Meanwhile, I have a Garchomp C with a DCE on the bench. He sends up Tomb, and gets a Kirlia with a DCE. I draw, attach DCE to Garchomp C, retreat, Level up, and Rush Kirlia. I believe he scoops at this point, and we move onto game 2. 1-0

So basically at this point, my main goal is to take up as much time as I can into Game 3, where if time gets called, all I need is one prize. Luckily, time wasnt called for Winston, but I still played out my stategy. If my hand was good, I figured I'd continue to try and win. It couldnt hurt, right? This strategy was the only one I could think of other then winning, so I tried for it. Lets see how it worked...

Game 2: It didn't. I got a bad hand, and Winston sorta guessed it. We play relatively fast, and the game takes about 25 minutes. Im assuming this because the judges wouldnt let us see time, lol. I get Luxray GL Lvl X's, and heal when I can with Garchomp. It was onto Game 3. 1-1

Game 3: So he gets Ralts start, and I start with Uxie. He Future Sights himself, and I hit him for 30 with Garchomp C's on the bench with Misdreavus prepped for the KO. He doesnt have Judge, so Im in a good position. He AMU locks, and drops a Moonlight. He evolves into Kirlia, attaches DCE and Belt, and I get Squper Psy Bolted to infinity (Its a silent Q!). I return with a Mismagius KO, and it goes downhill from there. He eventually Belt's Azelf Lvl X, and uses Bind Pulse, but it doesnt really do much. I Crash Chant him for what should've been 120, and am about to draw 2 prizes, but he stops me and refers to his Poke-Body. I gotta say to Winston thans a bunch, otherwise you woulda probably won Nationals. I Ko Azelf Promptly, and Snipe for game after a horrible Judge. Amazing games, Chan. 2-1 (7-1)

Man, I was getting light-headed and I needed something to mack on. I eat some Smartfood up in my room with Keyvan and Cam, and get some Schweppes. We split it up and I make a vow to beat Mike for Kevin, and all the other losses Mike has handed out to people :lol: We head downstairs, and Im tired as hell. Im still off to war though, as I tank out in Top 2 Mirror.

I get a pre-game massage complimentary from Jack, and a pep-talk from all the Seniors on the sidelines. I attach an Expert Belt to my Lucky Lickilicky and off I go!

Top 2: Michael L. (LuxChomp + Entei/Raikou LEGEND)
Game 1: I get trampled, because all my regeneration is prized and he snipes off all my Garchomps and avoids Abipoms Snap Attack :frown: I scoop 2 Prizes in. 0-1

It isn't looking good for me, especially since Im heavily considering scooping entirely just to avoid sleep troubles, but Cam and Keyvan wanted me to win, so I fought my drowsy eyes. We go onto Game 2, with Mike getting a bit drowsy as well, seeing by his epic yawns.

Game 2: He starts continuing Game 1, but he runs out of cards, and I Spray a key Uxie for him to have 0 hand. I start continuing Game 1's results after I draw Cyrus, and he scoops in by 4th prize. 1-1

Im freaking out at the point of being National Champion. I take a sip of Shawns virtual vitamin water, and the placebo takes off. The match decides the Nationals Champ, so you think it'd be epic, right?

Game 3: I start with Uxie, him Luxray GL. I Psychic Restore, and hit him for 20. He shuffles his hand for a good 20 seconds, attaches DCE and Bites. In the blink of an eye, I Bebe for [Jacks] Uxie Lvl X, attach an energy, Level Up, and Zen Blade for game to become your National Champion in Seniors.

Well overall it was an intense tournament, and Ill skip the conclusion and hit right into slops and props.

Props
Meeting Jack
Meeting Dexter P
Meeting Zach :rolleyes:
Reuniting with Alex
Seeing Aaron
Hawaii d00ds
LuxChomp for not Failing me
Chan for getting a scholarship
Zach for top 8
Dakota for first game evar winning in top cut
Getting a Phone with my Ca$h
Uhhhhhhh TTR3 for being an anxiety killer
SOCCCCCCCCCCCA!
Meeting Kevin
Sauce on the Pants
Pepsi on the Shirt :tongue:
Simon B and Chris S for rooting me on from afar
Luke too.
Harry L too
Mike L cuz he wanted to be here :p
Endless rooting Lol
Shawn B for being real cool
^ Sharlene too
Troy for being cool...
Ok basically if i didnt hit ya on this list PM me and ill make it happen =p

Slops
Uhhhhhh Late Pizza deliveries
Jack Dropping
Matt K's Time loss :frown:
Ploxz, decides to Power Lock anything it sees, then calls the Judge and gives birth to the Pixies
Uhhhhhhmmmmmmm........................
Wuan LOL

Alright, well thanks to everyone who read this report, I tried to keep it appetizing and sexy, its pretty easy to do both :wink: Anyone who wants to test, or thinks I wanna meet them at Worlds, give me a PM or email, whichever works for yea. Cant wait for Hawaii, was totally worth it. Cya'll then. Ciao for now!

~Jacob Lesage

Last edited:
Great job Jacob! Congrats on taking 1st place in seniors in this year's Canadian nationals. You did an awesome job that's for sure. It seems you like you even know how to play Luxchomp pretty well too.

Yep, nice job! I wish you the best of luck in Hawaii!:thumb:

Thanks guys, your sooo beastly :p

Jack: I am welcome.
Eleki: I know you.... I think!?
Zach: Yeah, thanks brah. Was great help :]
Carol: Thanks man. Cya in Hawaii!
Chris: You too man. Even if I have to sneek you in my luggage LOL

Good job JAcob:thumb: I wish i could have made top 8 but Whatever. I hate when Alex tells the whole world about that event.

YES you remember to put sauce on the pants in props ill hopefully cya in hawaii (still trying to convince my parents) and at br's. Come to Gatineau for 1.

Hey I was the person that saved you cuz I let michael win cuz I knew my deck and skills would pwn you, lol jk congrats wished the finals would have been the 2 reg champs

^ Yes but Kevin, you see, I gave him encouragement after Round 1 so he wouldn't fail, I gave him the Uxie X to donk with, AND I dropped out to let someone else win. ;)

nice job jake, if I had scooped game 1 earlier I wouldn't have rushed for the KO with my kirlia in game 3. GGs nonetheless, but I need to get better at 2/3 games^^ My list was inferior the the Utah SD, but I came up with the list myself.

Lol secret rare charzard ;)

Man, obviously you are the best senior in canada by far this season, and bro im glad i can call him a friend :)

Good luck at worlds, your gonna wreak everyone!

PS. Haha i forgot donut my bad :p

PSx2. Give me ur cell number!

Time for a massive response, lolz.
Eleki: Yeah, we gotta meet up bro. Hear so much about ya from Chris and simon =p
Dakota: Thanks man!
Simon: Who else is beastly? I mean you gunna come 2nd at Worlds with Gyarados.
Aaron: I know man, you totally shoulda hit Top8. Woulda been cool :/
Cam: It got changed man. Its now sauce on the pants, pepsi on the shirt. Remember ryan and his pepsi? xD
Kevin: Thanks for saving me from the wraths of DialgaChomp. Gratz on 4th Kevin.
Jack: Dude thx for dropping. I woulda been pwned in Top 2 by your mad skills lol.
Mike: Editing it rite up dude.
Jack Again *sighs*: Get another one! LOL
Winny: Yeah, it was a good game. Im actually happy it didnt go to time. I tried to go as fast as I could, but obviously it looked like stalling, Duhhhhh =D
Alex: Thanks alot man, Ill represent Canada at Worlds. Yall still owe me a donut, or you can blame it on Aaron, afterall he lost to the Secret Rare Charizard :p Ill PM you my number cuz I dont want Mike and his shananigans prank callin meh rofl

Lol secret rare charzard ;)

Man, obviously you are the best senior in canada by far this season, and bro im glad i can call him a friend :)

Good luck at worlds, your gonna wreak everyone!

PS. Haha i forgot donut my bad :p

PSx2. Give me ur cell number!

Jacob doesn't have a cell phone lol. Do text to email with him.

Back